Author Topic: Xsections, C3D2012->2015?  (Read 4371 times)

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
Xsections, C3D2012->2015?
« on: March 03, 2015, 06:07:53 PM »
WARNING! Cross posting is about to commence! Posted this on the Adesk forum, but I know MJF doesn't go 'over there' and thought he might have some insight to this.

Here are 2 screen captures, one of the last pdf I was able to create of a drawing in C3D2012 before that drawing decided to no longer open in C3D2012. After much trial and tribulation, I was finally able to get the drawing to open in C3D2015. However, the PipeNetwork structures, and therefor their labels, seem to be a bit mixed up. Is this normal for bringing older drawings into C3D2015? If so, I'm in trouble....

BlackBox

• King Gator
Re: Xsections, C3D2012->2015?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 01:28:33 AM »
I don't recall this being an issue, but am admittedly in the habit of only importing what I want into a clean drawing, particularly with old LDD projects.

Can you not DREF the PipeNetworks and then promote them, or perhaps export to LandXML (which obviously applies only to those drawings that you CAN open)...?

Cheers
"How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 09:15:12 AM »
send me a drop box of the old 2012 file....will see what happens IF it opens in 2014....and go from there

A direct open of the older file should in theory NOT jack things up...however as mentioned above
XML would be a surer method...in theory   :whistling:
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 09:16:06 AM »
further it looks like a LOT more than just the labels got frappe'd on the way into 2015
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 10:04:12 AM »
Thanks, Michael. The 2012 file does not open in C3D2012, 2013, 2014, or 2015. The only way I got it to open was C3D2016's Beta DID open it, ran Audit, saved, THEN 2015 opened it. Everything in the drawing looks like it should, plan view, model view, etc., except the structures in sectionviews.

BTW, the 2012 file DOES open in Acad2012, I can see all of the proxy entities as they should be. Audit finds no errors, I've purged and cleaned as much as possible, yet the cleaned dwg still only opens in C3D2016.

The subject drawing relies on Dref's for the alignments and pipe networks. It also Xref's the Corridor dwg, which has a number of Dref'ed items itself (surfaces, alignments).

At this point I have decided to just recreate the Xsection.dwg, but I am leery of this since even a known good version of the subject drawing is now failing to open. I'm thinking, now, that there is something amiss in the Corridor dwg that C3D is not liking, which may just propagate to any new section dwg.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 11:36:14 AM »
you've most likely tried or thought of using most recent 'good' sv$ file from the temp directory?
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2015, 01:15:57 PM »
Too late for that Michael. The corridor drawing has undergone a number of edits since the last known time frame that the xsection drawing opened normally. As I noted, even the xsection backup from a year ago will not open, and I KNOW it opened fine for ~6 months after that one.

Doing some more digging this morning, I opened the dwg in Acad2012, unloaded the last remaining loaded Xref...that being the corridor xref...saved, and attempted open in C3D2012. Yes, it opens! I immediately run Audit, no errors found, and synchronizereferences. It found 1 out of date reference (the street name changed, but this occurred after we started having issues with this drawing) and it appeared all might be right with the world. Then I went to the Xref manager and hit Reload for the Corridor Xref. 10 seconds later, C3D crashes to the desktop. Crap! So, obviously, there is something in the corridor.dwg that the Xsection.dwg does not like. Yet that same corridor.dwg is xref'ed into all of the plan/profile sheets (14 of them) & grading plans (5 of these), and they all open normally.

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2015, 02:51:57 PM »
More strange stuff....after the last crash I reopened the dwg that had just worked until reloading the corridor Xref. It did not crash, but it did take ~20 minutes to open. By the time it finishes opening, it had triggered Autosave to kick in, that took another 5+ minutes. Once I finally had control, I noticed that ALL of the previously unloaded Xrefs were now loaded. I proceeded to unload those not necessary for his drawing (Attached in the corridor dwg, as they are needed in other drawings). This took ~ 2 minutes to complete for each Xref. Again, Autosave kicked in, another 5+ minutes waiting for that (this dwg is just over 9mb). Got to thinking that one of the things I did after the last time this drawing worked correctly was to Xclip the corridor dwg, so I removed the Xclip, Qsaved, and this save took just 15-20 seconds! Now that's more like it! I zoomed in to one of the sections with corridor, EG, & pipes/structures, all is well....or so I thought. Another quick Qsave, close, Open....another 20 minute wait for it to load, but it does load which is far better than it was doing the past 45-60 days.

I'm going to keep chasing this, as I have been given a number of changes/additions they want done to the sectionviews. Just quite frustrating how a drawing goes from working perfectly to basic junk with no obvious reasons to do so.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2015, 03:22:52 PM »
could it be something as unrelated as excess ANNOSCALES?
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2015, 12:22:58 PM »
Nope, only ~10 Annoscales in each dwg.
After spending hours on this yesterday, I went back to the dwg in which I unloaded all xrefs. It opened fine & relatively quickly. The only things really missing were the Sections derived from the Xref'ed corridor. I reloaded the Corridor.dwg, and it did so without crashing, however none of the previously sampled corridor sections were shown in the SectionViews or in the Sections listing for the SLG's. I began editing each SLG, adding more sources to include the Corridor, saving after each addition fully expecting one of them to cause a massive KaBoom!. After re-adding those sections to all of the Alignments, the drawing was still behaving well, saving quickly, no apparent hiccups at all. I made some additional edits, found an area at one of the street intersections that needed some massaging (which I knew about and what started me on this journey to be able to use these sections), saved, closed, opened the corridor.dwg, made some edits which should've cleaned up that intersection, saved, closed, opened the Xsections.dwg to verify the cleanup worked, and.....there's that KaBoom! Back to where I was at the beginning of the day, with a dwg that will no longer open in C3D.

I'm now going to save that drawing 9 or 10 times and, using plain AutoCAD, edit each one to only have 1 or 2 alignments/xsections. In my initial test of 2 drawings, this allows the drawings to open in C3D. So this leads me to think that there is some kind of limit to the number of SLG's, or SVG's in one drawing. Or there's a conflict with one, or more, of the sample lines. I'm at a loss as to why this is occurring, but it's time to move one and get the job out the door.

Thanks for the suggestions and for listening while I rambled on.