Author Topic: Window Locations  (Read 2392 times)

ChrisCarlson

Window Locations
« on: March 03, 2015, 08:24:09 AM »
I can't seem to get my window locations to save. Two monitor setup set to mosaic mode (one monitor) with properties, layer manager and ssm on the right screen, drawing on the left. I tried saving over my old user workspace and even making a new workspace. When I close and reopen Vanilla AutoCAD, sometimes the properties is stacked onto the SSM, all three at stacked together or even a window decided to close itself, tips?

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: Window Locations
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 08:57:52 AM »
be sure that stupid tick box is checked...
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 10:22:54 AM »
Stupid question time: how are you starting the program?  Is it calling a workspace, and is that workspace available in the profile it is starting with (last or specified)?
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

ChrisCarlson

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 10:31:53 AM »
Here is my workspace list.

Not sure what you mean "starting the program?" I go to Start -> AutoCAD 2015 - English (pinned to start bar)

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 10:52:34 AM »
you want to toggle that stupid check box @ bottom....THIS TIME

to Automatically save changes to your workspace.....

and then  turn it back off once your space is working for you....

otherwise it throws your changes away.....  I know....it is stupid. 
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 02:50:03 PM »

Not sure what you mean "starting the program?" I go to Start -> AutoCAD 2015 - English (pinned to start bar)

Depending how you start the program, it may be passing a profile (/p "Profile name") and/or workspace (/w "Workspace name") arguments to control how the program starts.  If it is starting with a different workspace then your workspace won't be current on start-up.  With a profile argument and no workspace argument it tries to load the last used workspace which may not be available under that profile.  If starting with no profile *and* no workspace arguments it tries to restore the last profile and last workspace, which should work, unless you have some profile-modification customization or third-party applications getting in the way.

I keep the "Automatically save workspace" turned off, as I only want the workspace changing when I tell it to.  Whenever I make changes to the UI layout I also explicitly save those changes.  I also know precisely which CUIx file the workspace is being read from and saved to so there is zero chance of getting mixed up workspaces.  From time to time I need to force a reload of the workspace to get Ribbon modifications to show up, but never have a problem with workspaces at startup.
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 02:59:13 PM »

That most likely starts the generic <<unnamed profile>>

A good suggestion...open autocad
get everything the way you like it...

go to options

and save your profile - also take to time to export it to someplace safe...

Then edit your startup to include a /p (profile switch) and have it load your profile...
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

ChrisCarlson

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 04:23:34 PM »
Reopening CAD after saving a new profile and new workspace does not cure it. Modifying the /p /w switches do not change anything as the profile and workspace load correctly. Next step is to try a reset setting and see if a CUIx file is being naughty.

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 04:39:16 PM »
What video card do you have ? I had an issue a while back where it was a setting in video card software. All my windows would revert to the center of my 'main' screen regardless of where I placed them previously.

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2015, 05:36:02 PM »
Reopening CAD after saving a new profile and new workspace does not cure it. Modifying the /p /w switches do not change anything as the profile and workspace load correctly. Next step is to try a reset setting and see if a CUIx file is being naughty.
are you sure you started cad with that NEW Profile?
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

ChrisCarlson

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2015, 08:03:33 AM »
Yes re-opening CAD showed the new profile I made was the loaded profile same with workspace.

ChrisCarlson

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2015, 08:04:11 AM »
What video card do you have ? I had an issue a while back where it was a setting in video card software. All my windows would revert to the center of my 'main' screen regardless of where I placed them previously.

nVidia K2000