Author Topic: 2006 VBA and Enterprise cui paths???  (Read 10244 times)

ML

2006 VBA and Enterprise cui paths???
« on: April 22, 2005, 03:39:33 PM »
Hello,

We just recently purchased 2006 (WHY???? :cry: ) where I work.
I am not sure if anyone will know this answer as XML is very new to AutoCAD but they are now using cui (custom user interface) files instead of our beloved .mns files.

Anyhow, I am re writing the macro that creates our support paths and I need to create a enterprise path to the company.cui file on all users machines.

In VBA (2006) I can not find the enterprise object in The Prferences.Files Collection, has anyone seen it ?

Thank you

Mark

Wyatt Earp

2006 stuff
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2005, 06:36:05 PM »
Mark,

Not sure exactly what you are referring to but as i understand it there shouldn't be a difference between the custom CUI file and an enterprise version of this file. Only the location is different. Ex: C drive vs. G or H or some other network drive.

Maybe I'm wrong. My IT guy has told me that we are rolling out R2006 to 40 people at the end of June! I was still attempting to upgrade one of my groups custom stuff up from R12 if you can believe that one. Now not only do i have to contend with vast amounts of code change but a file conversion change as well... Bullocks...

ML

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2005, 10:59:33 AM »
Hey Wyatt,

In AutoCAD (as you probably know) you must set support paths to your custom resources, menus, blocks etc.

Anyhow, in 2006 there are to new paths called Customization Files, Main + Enterprise. So, your cui files remain the same and are in the same location but the paths can change. For instance, if your Enterprise path is set to The cui file, then you will see that cui file as read-only and you will not be able to customize it. This is what you will want to do on user machines. You have a network shared cui file. All user computers pathed to that file as enterprise. They can use the company cui but they can not change it.

Now, if you path to that same cui file as Main, then you can customize it.

By default, acad.cui is the main customization file and there is no enterprise file pathed to.

My suggestion, if you are The Admin then keep your out of the box profile with acad as the main cui and set your enterprise path to your company cui file, rename the profile to whatever. That will be the user level profile.

Then make a new profile companymain, or whatever or your machine. In this profile, path to the company cui as main so that you (CAD Manager) can update it; also path to acad.cui as enterprise in this profile as well so that you will be able to use the acad menus also. Then you will switch between profiles depending on what you need to do.

Hope this helps?

Mark

Wyatt Earp

CUI stuff...
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2005, 11:11:36 AM »
:shock: Woa! Slow down there big guy. Perphaps you could outline that a bit better for me in terms of a graphic somehow?

I think I get it but since I've only just had the manuals thrown on my desk and I've only opened the app. 2x (totally vanilla) I don't totally get it.

For R2004 this is what I have:
1. ACAD menu (out of the box non-custom) on the users C drive.
2. Customized "tack-on" menus for Buildings, Industrial, Bridges and Marine all located on a network drive. This code is all open but because of the way that the user rights are from my IT guy only 3 people can edit this stuff. The user profile relates directly to the task that the user is doing in otherwords a short cut on their desktop that would have the /p switch on it to state "username_discipline". It works well.

You are suggesting that the CUI for my customized stuff will remain on the network but it is somehow locked? My plan is to only upgrade and modify the "tack-on menus" and not modify the ACAD.CUI file.

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2005, 11:18:21 AM »
This will need a bit of spare time to read :
Newsgroups: autodesk.autocad.customization
Sent: Sunday, May 08, 2005 6:07 AM
Subject: Notes on the philosophy of CUI

http://discussion.autodesk.com/thread.jspa?threadID=402498

There are about 600 messages in a 2 month period on the those groups referring explicitly to the CUI menu system, so confusion is not restricted.
kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

Wyatt Earp

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2005, 11:27:12 AM »
Thanks, I've printed that off for my future reference.

ML

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2005, 11:35:31 AM »
Wyatt,

2006 and its format is new to everyone including myself. We got 2006 here the week is was released (pretty much)

I do all the custom work here as well and had to figure it all out for myself. THere were no books, very few posts and very little resources but I have successfully adapted, you will too.

If you want my help, I will be glad to help you but you need to be very specific as to what you need help with.
May be once you get 2006, you will understand what I am talking about but I can't make it much clearer.

Mark

ML

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2005, 11:39:09 AM »
OK, I apologise, I did not read your whole post. OK, I assume you are managing the custom cui file? Is it shared with other users? Is it on a network, shared drive?

Mark

Wyatt Earp

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2005, 11:54:09 AM »
ML,

Right now i handle all the goodies - even my arch nemisis - plotting... please tell me they didn't change that again!

I think I'll be able to sort it out. Basically that article I printed out has most of the info I'll need in it. You should read it. The main guist is that it is now longer ACAD / EXPRESS / OFFICE CUSTOMIZED STUFF / USER CUSTOMIZED STUFF but completely the other way around!!

Cheers

ML

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2005, 11:39:55 AM »
Cool

Well feel free to ask any questions?

Mark

ML

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2005, 02:06:50 PM »
That was a good post Kerry but I do not fully agree with his method, though it is a matter of preference really

Mark

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2005, 02:43:21 PM »
Hi Mark,

Can't comment from experience .. don't have 2006 running.

It appears to have consolidated your thinking, so at least served a purpose.

More importantly, it appears that the peeps from AutoDesk have become aware of some of the difficulties that not having adequate documentation for new features can cause. I am actually surprised at how civil the whole thread stayed.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2005, 02:47:00 PM »
.... though that may change when people realize that the CUI is not accessible via ActiveX :)

ML

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2005, 12:57:06 AM »
Yes, they definetely need to amke at least the paths to the customization files (main and enterprise) and Workspaces accessible in VBA.

SMadsen

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2005, 05:19:07 AM »
In lithp:
(getenv "EnterpriseMenuFile")
(getenv "MenuFile")

I don't know why the Enterprise path weren't added but both the MenuFile path and the WorkspacePath are properties of the PreferencesFiles object.