Author Topic: has anyone used ArcGIS for cemetery job to build a database?  (Read 4740 times)

alanjt

• Needs a day job
  • Standby for witty remark...
has anyone used ArcGIS for cemetery job to build a database?
« on: February 04, 2015, 10:13:13 AM »
We've being contracted to perform the locations on a few thousand grave vaults for a cemetery and there is a need for an arcgis database, fully equip with an object for each vault that will include all corresponding information and a photo. Does anyone have any experience with this?
Civil 3D 2019 ~ Windohz 7 64bit
Dropbox

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: has anyone used ArcGIS for cemetery job to build a database?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 10:14:49 AM »
One can do this with MAP quite readily - and then offer them E00 or SHP files....as output
And or offer the output as a MAPGUIDE site...to help people find their correct plots..

What is the real goal?  ArcGIS or the database?

One could even do this with QGIS.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

alanjt

• Needs a day job
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 10:34:32 AM »
As far as I understand now, the data base is the end result, so the means isn't reliant upon using ArcGIS.
I can see how to get all additional information from the field to the database, but I couldn't think of a way to tie images to objects where that would come up with the additional object data.
I am curious about the field collection also.
Dropbox

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 11:20:15 AM »
map has a function called document view..or similar...it will allow attachment of image

CAD can do this as a note....

In the data base a field or two could be called DOCUMENT or PHOTO and in that field a link to the the photo could be stored.

As to field collect...

A normalized survey practice...

either all corners of the vault...two edges of head stones.... then OBJECT DATA tables to store all the information...
the survey point can store up to NINE pieces of information in Civil 3D....

If it is just data collection, I dont think there is a limit on note size in most data collectors
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

alanjt

• Needs a day job
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 12:11:49 PM »
Does map come with Infrastructure Design Suite? I know we have some map commands withing c3d, but I don't have a dedicated 'map' proram.

The requirements for the vaults is a centroid shot and one shot at the midpoint of the shortest segment length (which will be at the headstone side).

I will look at the data collectors. We have the ability to link photos to points, but as there hasn't been much of a demand, I've never spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to do just that. Is there a way to bring that data into map/cad/c3d and have the image linked based on setting in the collector to show the database field as you stated, or would I have to link the photo manually?
Dropbox

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 12:23:01 PM »
MAP is ALWAYS inside civil 3d even IF you don't use it

there might be a fairly easy way to translate the photo information into a link to a folder where the photo is stored.

Just edit the CSV file....and paste the link stuff in front of the photo name

And MapGuide is free open source...and might be a better way to present and maintain the data after collection....
and nice to put on a website to allow viewing of the records...

Be your Best

Michael Farrell