Author Topic: Hatch color variation through layouts  (Read 4065 times)

bbarron281

Hatch color variation through layouts
« on: January 20, 2015, 03:03:14 PM »
Someone that I'm working with has shown me a drawing of his that plots a hatch in two different colors depending on which layout tab he's plotting from. He's using color 160. I went through the only things I know to check to try to avoid this issue.

I started by checking the plot style tables on each layout. They're identical, at least in respect to color 160 as they are set to plot 160's object color. Plot transparency is enabled on both. In the layer properties manager the transparency for the layer is 80 (including vp transparency). The color plotted is blue on one sheet and bluish gray on the other. Has anyone else had an issue like this?

tedg

• Swamp Rat
Re: Hatch color variation through layouts
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 03:26:06 PM »
Is the layer color overridden in the viewport, to something that appears similar?
Windows 10 Pro 64bit, AutoCAD 2023, REVIT 2023

bbarron281

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 03:39:24 PM »
No, sir. Color for the hatch is set as "ByLayer" in the viewport on both layouts.

tedg

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 03:43:55 PM »
No, sir. Color for the hatch is set as "ByLayer" in the viewport on both layouts.
Ok, so this may be a stupid question, but is the layer that the hatch is on the same [exact] color per viewport?
Because that can be overridden per viewport.

Just a thought

bbarron281

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 03:49:50 PM »
I think I follow the question but I'm not sure. The hatch is on the same layer in both layouts. Actually I didn't even know it was possible to have a hatch on different layers dependent upon which layout I'm in. The hatch is in model space but there are viewports (multiple because of multiple layouts) allowing it to be shown in paperspace.

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 03:53:42 PM »
He's referring to this... http://docs.autodesk.com/ACD/2010/ENU/AutoCAD%202010%20User%20Documentation/index.html?url=WS73099cc142f4875513fb5cd10c4aa30d6b4139.htm,topicNumber=d0e42539

When you go into a vewport and open the Layers properties palette do you see any layers that are highlighted with a light cyan??  Those have viewport overrides applied to them.
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2015, 03:54:22 PM »
Go into floating modelspace of each viewport and make sure these properties match.

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

tedg

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2015, 03:56:12 PM »
I think I follow the question but I'm not sure. The hatch is on the same layer in both layouts. Actually I didn't even know it was possible to have a hatch on different layers dependent upon which layout I'm in. The hatch is in model space but there are viewports (multiple because of multiple layouts) allowing it to be shown in paperspace.
I don't mean different layers, the layer properties can be overridden per viewport.

So the hatch in model space would appear normal, but if you go into each viewport in your layout(s), and open up the layer dialog, you could see if that layer has the same color for each.

bbarron281

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2015, 04:01:52 PM »
We're onto something. I see the light cyan on the layer. However, color and vpcolor are identical in layer properties manager. Floating modelspace? I'm guessing this is accessed by double clicking into the viewport on the layout.

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2015, 04:12:37 PM »
If you posted the drawing I bet this would get solved much faster.

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

Matt__W

• Seagull
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2015, 04:13:08 PM »
I'm guessing this is accessed by double clicking into the viewport on the layout.
**BINGO!!**
Autodesk Expert Elite

bbarron281

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2015, 04:34:39 PM »
Ok I stripped it down as best I could. While we're kind of on the subject. I was wondering why can I not purge the layers off that aren't being used? There are 48 layers but I believe there are only three being used. All the xrefs have been detached. I execute SELECT then ALL and I'm told there are 58 (items?) not in current space. So what space are they in and how do I delete them? Sorry, I don't mean to barrage y'all with a bunch of newb questions.

Bethrine

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2015, 04:38:07 PM »
Another idea (just in case): If a hatch is in a nested block, the block can be on one layer while the nested block is on another or the settings for by layer could be different in a nested block as well.

Matt__W

• Seagull
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2015, 05:05:22 PM »
The colors are the same but there's an 85% transparency override in viewport Exhibit B1.

As for the layers, it looks like you're using Civil 3D??  I opened the file with MEP 2015. My guess is that you have some styles that need to be purged first before you can get rid of the extra layers.
Autodesk Expert Elite

bbarron281

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2015, 05:26:07 PM »
How do I clear the viewport overrides? I didn't realize there were any but even if there wasn't an override the transparency would be 85 anyway, or so it seems to me.