Author Topic: date field incorrect  (Read 15659 times)

Bethrine

Re: date field incorrect
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2015, 04:43:54 PM »
make something foolproof and you will discover a greater fool

If what you mean by this is every plan should allow for change then I get it. Otherwise, please expound.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2015, 04:48:18 PM »
make something foolproof and you will discover a greater fool

If what you mean by this is every plan should allow for change then I get it. Otherwise, please expound.

Just when you think you have made it such that NO ONE will EVER be able to mess it up; some one will find a way to mess it up.

When ignorance gets started it knows no bounds.

Will Rogers

Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Bethrine

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2015, 05:23:41 PM »
it's not the same as building a better mousetrap...where all you will find is a dead mouse.     :2funny:

Okay, if that means what I think it means..I'd better not respond.  :angel:

problem is everyone here would be in it me thinks. Any professional advice there?

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2015, 05:28:36 PM »
it's not the same as building a better mousetrap...where all you will find is a dead mouse.     :2funny:

problem is everyone here would be in it me thinks. Any professional advice there?

Whatever you decide to do....be fully prepared to offer a detailed (with pictures a 3rd grader can follow) tutorial
of HOW and WHY your system works and should be used.  Otherwise, some clever fool will find a way to defeat whatever your system is designed to do, or prevent.
Then you will still need to visit with and educate all users about your solution.

I do this here, and still find users that want to 'fall back' to the old ways.....  :yelling:   :uglystupid2:
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Bethrine

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2015, 06:31:41 PM »

Whatever you decide to do....be fully prepared to offer a detailed (with pictures a 3rd grader can follow) tutorial
of HOW and WHY your system works and should be used.  Otherwise, some clever fool will find a way to defeat whatever your system is designed to do, or prevent.
Then you will still need to visit with and educate all users about your solution.

I do this here, and still find users that want to 'fall back' to the old ways.....  :yelling:   :uglystupid2:

mmmm. Okay. :D                <edit> <-- that wasn't sarcastic <edit>
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 09:11:19 AM by Bethrine »

tedg

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2015, 07:59:00 AM »

OK - then use Drawing Properties add your special date information there....

This looks like a good idea for the original question.
The easiest solution would be to NOT use a field, and just fill in the attribute with a date, but you mentioned they get updated or overwritten.

And so this approach adds another line of defense with a custom field, that won't get updated automatically.
That's not going to stop someone from wiping out the field and typing in a date though..

It is tough to defeat stupid.
You are correct, I've heard it said that a first line of defense "will only keep out the honest people".
So yea, some dumb cad user will go "hey, what's this grayed-out text mean? oh well whatever.. I'll just type in what I want"

(LOL)
Windows 10 Pro 64bit, AutoCAD 2023, REVIT 2023