Author Topic: date field incorrect  (Read 15507 times)

Bethrine

date field incorrect
« on: January 19, 2015, 10:59:56 AM »
Okay, I have a block set up for a title block with attributes so, of course, I used the "Create Date" field in the drawing date box. It shows the wrong date.  :blink: How do I correct this? Or should I not use a field in this instance? Once the creation date is there, I don't want it to change every time the drawing is opened or modified. It needs to be permanent.

Of note: this is my first time using fields and attributes.  :evil:

CAB

• Global Moderator
  • Seagull
Re: date field incorrect
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 11:22:11 AM »
Just a guess but is "Create Date" the date the block was created?
I've reached the age where the happy hour is a nap. (°¿°)
Windows 10 core i7 4790k 4Ghz 32GB GTX 970
Please support this web site.

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 11:32:54 AM »
I think create date is day drawing is created?

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 11:43:08 AM »
I would say don't use a field if you don't need it to change.

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

Bethrine

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 12:00:39 PM »
Field and drawing were both created today.  :?

I would say don't use a field if you don't need it to change.

I can do that but I was hoping I could just open the drawing and the date would be set. (Laziness).

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015, 12:13:43 PM »
or use the plot date or save date...
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Bethrine

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2015, 12:21:13 PM »
or use the plot date or save date...

Neither of those are permanent though. I think ronjonp is right.  Maybe a "Save As" date could work?

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2015, 01:27:08 PM »
Around these parts we have the line work and any static info (client name, address, project name, date issued, etc...) in a title block drawing that is then xref'd into the drawings that get plotted. There is a separate block with attributes that gets inserted into each drawing that contains things like drawing scale, drawn by, checked by, drawing name, drawing number, etc... for things that vary from one drawing to the next within the project.
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2015, 02:20:03 PM »
Around these parts we have the line work and any static info (client name, address, project name, date issued, etc...) in a title block drawing that is then xref'd into the drawings that get plotted. There is a separate block with attributes that gets inserted into each drawing that contains things like drawing scale, drawn by, checked by, drawing name, drawing number, etc... for things that vary from one drawing to the next within the project.

Used to use a similar approach prior to Sheet Sets and Fields,

Title Block with Project data (static) attributes as XREF
Sheet Data (block) with attributes with sheet specific data.

However with Fields and Sheets sets filling in the Project Data is now largely automatic, there is little benefit to doing it that older method any longer.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Bethrine

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2015, 02:33:20 PM »
We have small drawings here. What's happened is they've been overwritten as revisions for newer projects and older projects still in existence no longer have an accurate drawing or, in some cases, no longer exist or can't be found. I wanted the date field to be automatic and static...and I'm lazy.  :whistling:

"I'm so lazy I do everything right the first time so I don't have to re-do it." ~my Dad  :-D

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2015, 02:46:08 PM »
We have small drawings here. What's happened is they've been overwritten as revisions for newer projects and older projects still in existence no longer have an accurate drawing or, in some cases, no longer exist or can't be found. I wanted the date field to be automatic and static...and I'm lazy.  :whistling:

"I'm so lazy I do everything right the first time so I don't have to re-do it." ~my Dad  :-D

OK - then use Drawing Properties add your special date information there....
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

tedg

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2015, 03:23:37 PM »

This looks like a good idea for the original question.
The easiest solution would be to NOT use a field, and just fill in the attribute with a date, but you mentioned they get updated or overwritten.

And so this approach adds another line of defense with a custom field, that won't get updated automatically.
That's not going to stop someone from wiping out the field and typing in a date though..
Windows 10 Pro 64bit, AutoCAD 2023, REVIT 2023

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2015, 03:26:12 PM »

This looks like a good idea for the original question.
The easiest solution would be to NOT use a field, and just fill in the attribute with a date, but you mentioned they get updated or overwritten.

And so this approach adds another line of defense with a custom field, that won't get updated automatically.
That's not going to stop someone from wiping out the field and typing in a date though..

It is tough to defeat stupid.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Bethrine

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2015, 03:59:44 PM »

I think I am beginning to understand this better... :grumpy:

I also don't think I have the authority to do what needs to be done.  :cry:

So this will be me for a while longer:  :shifty: and hopefully not this:  :rip: because it seems though they ask for this  :idea: they don't like it.  :uglystupid2:

I was trying to make my titleblocks fullproof but after thinking about it I probably shouldn't unless I get mgmt. approval.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 04:06:04 PM by Bethrine »

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2015, 04:16:26 PM »

I think I am beginning to understand this better... :grumpy:

I also don't think I have the authority to do what needs to be done.  :cry:

So this will be me for a while longer:  :shifty: and hopefully not this:  :rip: because it seems though they ask for this  :idea: they don't like it.  :uglystupid2:

I was trying to make my titleblocks fullproof but after thinking about it I probably shouldn't unless I get mgmt. approval.

FOOLPROOF? 

you are delusional   

make something foolproof and you will discover a greater fool

it's not the same as building a better mousetrap...where all you will find is a dead mouse.     :2funny:
Be your Best

Michael Farrell