Author Topic: Workaround Needed: 2014 ACAD Batch Script Fails at Startup  (Read 2258 times)

Chillme1

• Newt
  • Must learn to earn!
Workaround Needed: 2014 ACAD Batch Script Fails at Startup
« on: January 05, 2015, 01:23:59 PM »
From the ScriptPro application, I fire a batch process that used the default ACAD.EXE. but it fails as both purchased and free add-ons are not loaded and the newer AutoCAD security settings are not accounted for as well.

How do you work around this issue?
Thanks, Clint
Mechanical Designer / Process Piping
AutoCAD Toolsets 2022
Newbie Betimes - LISP Programmer

Lee Mac

• Seagull
  • London, England
Re: Workaround Needed: 2014 ACAD Batch Script Fails at Startup
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 01:27:13 PM »
Is there any reason to call acad.exe? -
Surely this results in the application being closed & re-opened for every drawing processed?

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 01:37:12 PM »
That's how ScriptPro works Lee.

Chillme1, set up a scripting environment in AutoCAD (a profile for example) with lisps (I'm sure there are some here).
TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)
Member location map - Add yourself

Donate to TheSwamp.org

Chillme1

• Newt
  • Must learn to earn!
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 04:36:53 PM »
Ah yes, John! A PROFILE for the purpose of scripting sounds like a good way to proceed. I am open to how that you would set up a scripting environment. I tend to over think and under do. To save bumbling around: What is required to set up this scripting environment with ScriptPro.

Can you recommend another method without ScriptPro i.e., without opening AutoCAD every time?
Thanks, Clint
Mechanical Designer / Process Piping
AutoCAD Toolsets 2022
Newbie Betimes - LISP Programmer

Lee Mac

• Seagull
  • London, England
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 08:34:43 AM »
That's how ScriptPro works Lee.

I see - sorry, I've never used that utility - I just thought it odd since whenever I have performed any Scripting task, I have always used a single instance of the AutoCAD application, and successively opened/closed drawings.

@Chillme1 - I wrote this post some time ago describing the method I use when Scripting, it may be of some help.

Lee

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 08:44:53 AM »
I see - sorry, I've never used that utility - I just thought it odd since whenever I have performed any Scripting task, I have always used a single instance of the AutoCAD application, and successively opened/closed drawings.

You are not missing much; the only nice feature of the utility is that it makes the usability nice [-i.e. as an external app: pick the script, select the drawings, hit go] but other than that it is quite slow.

Yes, that's the way I did scripting as well. It's a lot easier for those that have the ability to set up the proper system but not so easy for those that don't know lisp so I do see the attraction to ScriptPro for most people.
TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)
Member location map - Add yourself

Donate to TheSwamp.org