Author Topic: Civil 3D; parts (list and builder); adding custom fields to parts  (Read 7577 times)

alanjt

• Needs a day job
  • Standby for witty remark...
I have been trying to add some custom fields for pipe network structures, which you can add by editing the AeccPartParamCfg.xml file in your part network catalog. The issue is, if I put something in there, there isn't a way to start it with a default value. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
Also, when you initially add parts to a parts list, it gives you a window to specify certain properties. How can you get custom fields in that dialog box?
I'm pulling my hair out with this. Every discovery leads me to more issues.

See attached image for reference...
Civil 3D 2019 ~ Windohz 7 64bit
Dropbox

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: Civil 3D; parts (list and builder); adding custom fields to parts
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 09:23:16 AM »
it appears to go in this file:  AeccSharedPropertyLists.xml

And the Item Id controls position in drop down list....or so it would appear
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 09:47:32 AM »
Alan, this Autodesk University class from 2013 has some good info on editing these files. Good info on other things, too.

alanjt

• Needs a day job
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 01:28:02 PM »
it appears to go in this file:  AeccSharedPropertyLists.xml

And the Item Id controls position in drop down list....or so it would appear
Wow, yours has a lot more information than mine.

Code: [Select]
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<LandPart desc="Part Table" version="1.0" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink" fixColumn="C1">
<ColumnConstView desc="Parameter-driven Display" id="CCV1" viewKey="3d" viewName="AeccPartRecipe">
<Images>
<Image>
<URL xlink:title="Part Reference Image" xlink:href="PathToBmp.bmp"/>
</Image>
</Images>
<Recipe>PathToDwg.dwg</Recipe>
</ColumnConstView>
</LandPart>

Could I have a copy of the text from your xml file? Makes me wonder if it won't work in 2013.

Alan, this Autodesk University class from 2013 has some good info on editing these files. Good info on other things, too.

Thank you, Jeff. I will be studying this very closely. Hopefully there's also some info. about actually creating parts. MES parts are at the top of my list, and every attempt I've made so far has ended in tears and a lot of profanity.
Dropbox

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 02:09:34 PM »
Code: [Select]
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<LandPart desc="Part Table" version="1.0" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink" fixColumn="C1">
<ColumnConstView desc="Parameter-driven Display" id="CCV1" viewKey="3d" viewName="AeccPartRecipe">
<Images>
<Image>
<URL xlink:title="Part Reference Image" xlink:href="PathToBmp.bmp"/>
</Image>
</Images>
<Recipe>PathToDwg.dwg</Recipe>
</ColumnConstView>
<ColumnConstList desc="Frame" dataType="string" unit="" name="SF" id="CCL1" visible="1" context="StructFrame" index="0">
<Item id="i0">Standard</Item>
<Item id="i1">Cast Iron</Item>
<Item id="i2">Aluminium</Item>
</ColumnConstList>
<ColumnConstList desc="Cover" dataType="string" unit="" name="SC" id="CCL2" visible="1" context="StructCover" index="0">
</ColumnConstList>
<ColumnConstList desc="Grate" dataType="string" unit="" name="SG" id="CCL3" visible="1" context="StructGrate" index="0">
</ColumnConstList>
<ColumnConstList desc="Material" dataType="string" unit="" name="Mat" id="CCL4" visible="1" context="Material_Type" index="0">
<Item id="i0">Reinforced Concrete</Item>
</ColumnConstList>
</LandPart>

That should work fine; to my knowledge no changes in the XML schema between 2014 and 2013
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 02:12:22 PM »
What do you mean by MES parts? 

Maryland Environmental Services?
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

alanjt

• Needs a day job
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014, 02:35:35 PM »
What do you mean by MES parts? 

Maryland Environmental Services?
Mitered End Section

Dropbox

alanjt

• Needs a day job
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2014, 02:36:46 PM »

That should work fine; to my knowledge no changes in the XML schema between 2014 and 2013
That scares me. Is there a big change with 2015? I don't want to do all this work, and it not carry on into future versions.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 02:42:36 PM by alanjt »
Dropbox

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2014, 02:45:18 PM »

That scares me. Is there a big change with 2015? I don't want to do all this work, and it not carry on into future versions.

Well considering the direction @()t0$%^# appears to be going with this project I am looking at a beta of....

could well happen irrespective of the user wishes, or needs.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

alanjt

• Needs a day job
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2014, 03:38:33 PM »

Well considering the direction @()t0$%^# appears to be going with this project I am looking at a beta of....

could well happen irrespective of the user wishes, or needs.
That's terrifying. What is the point of having the option to create custom parts, etc. if the user edits won't be good a version later?
Dropbox

mjfarrell

• Seagull
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

alanjt

• Needs a day job
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2015, 01:09:43 AM »
I wanted to say that this was a huge help.
I was able to create several custom fields, and they work quite well. If only I could figure out how to be able to edit the custom fields in the structure properties and it not break the link in the swap part menu, which also screws up the style when you dref the network out.
It seems like you can create a new part in your part list and change the properties there and it will hold, but that just isn't really practical. My other thought is to just break up each structure type as it's own family, that way, when the link is broken and it reverts to the first item in the list, it will only have 1 item in the list to choose from. I haven't tested to see if this will still display correctly with drefs, but it's worth a shot.
All I wanted was a way to add a little piece of extra text to the structure that would show up anywhere I dref'd the network.

I stumbled across this, which basically explains what Jeff's video does, but it also shows the custom property actually being added in part builder. Not sure I see the point, but there must be one.
http://beingcivil.typepad.com/my_weblog/2010/07/assigning-optional-properties-to-a-part-size.html
Dropbox