Author Topic: AutoPublish - - on close - - strange hangup...  (Read 2453 times)

DIW_CADtech

• Bull Frog
  • Push limits, embrace success, & discard failure.
AutoPublish - - on close - - strange hangup...
« on: December 01, 2014, 09:02:51 AM »
Gentlemen,

Recently I have started to use the auto publish feature in the options.  The first few times i used it it was great, but lately, there has been some really strange delay.  It takes like 2 min to publish when i close the file.  To the point where I click on the status and autocad snows over. (not responding).  The drawings are not complex and contain no xrefs or images.  Using the standard DWG to PDF plotter. 

Granted, you don't have my files, but is there anything I can look for to minimize this.  It's handy tool, but the time delay is making it a no go.

I welcome any suggestions,  humorous or otherwise....   :)  As long as it isn't  (have you tried microstation?)
I am very  trainable....   (forgive my spelling)

BlackBox

• King Gator
Re: AutoPublish - - on close - - strange hangup...
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 09:25:15 AM »
I've been using the Autopublish Mechanism since it was introduced (in 2009 version?), and have not experienced this undesired behavior... That said, I will add that I choose to produce PDF using DWG to PDF driver with SAVE* and not CLOSE... Perhaps this is an issue of computer specs? *not sure*

The only real issue I've experienced with Autopublish, I resolved with this plug-in, FWIW.

Cheers
"How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

DIW_CADtech

• Bull Frog
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 09:39:45 AM »
I don't think this is an issue with my CPU specs per say.  I've been on this machine for a year and this is the first time I have seen these kinds of delays with publishing.  Also, I've been do'ing some google'ing... and I see the background printing options mentioned a lot.  I'm not publishing in the background.   It is important to note, that the delays are happening with the standard publish window as well.

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 09:57:14 AM »
I don't think this is an issue with my CPU specs per say.  I've been on this machine for a year and this is the first time I have seen these kinds of delays with publishing.  Also, I've been do'ing some google'ing... and I see the background printing options mentioned a lot.  I'm not publishing in the background.   It is important to note, that the delays are happening with the standard publish window as well.

So... What happens when you enable background publishing?  :angel:

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 10:36:06 AM »
is the printer/plotter asleep? (NETWORK)

are you using named page setups?
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

DIW_CADtech

• Bull Frog
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 10:39:03 AM »
I am using named setups,  and a co-worker has no problems.. opens in a blink.. plotwindow opens in a blink, and prints in a blink.  no delays at all.. but for me.. just getting the plot window takes 2 min... then like two min to plot when hitting the ok.. and it's   a DWG to PDF, so it's not going to a network plotter/printer. 

Not yet ruling out network issues....  all of our plot settups and support paths go to network locations.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 10:45:07 AM »
check/empty TEMP folder

PING server from each machine
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 11:18:29 AM »
Not yet ruling out network issues....  all of our plot settups and support paths go to network locations.

When you say 'network', does that mean Physical Server in your office, or a USB NAS, etc.?

DIW_CADtech

• Bull Frog
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2014, 11:03:19 PM »
We have a physical server.  The problem seems to reside from the location of our shared CTB files.  IT thought it was an issue with a cyclical loop from shortcut to shortcut, but then why didn't anyone else in the office have an issue?

we agreed to tackle it next monday.  In the interim, we copied all the relevant ctb files from the server to my local directory.  We discovered this only after trying to do an autocad repair, and a re-install.  Now, I have to repath all my tool pallets....  I should have exported my profile first.

If I understand what we do to fixt the problem, I will post next week.  BUt IT seem to think it has something to do with the permissions of the folder on the server containing the ctb files.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2014, 10:48:53 AM »
you could consider this (see attached)

system will first try network, then should look locally

should have nothing to do with permissions

most likely a network latency issue - bad switch, problem at router, or issue with signal if you are connected via wi-fi
Be your Best

Michael Farrell