Author Topic: Cloud Block Library  (Read 2321 times)

bfred805

Cloud Block Library
« on: November 19, 2014, 07:40:07 PM »
Hello,

I was wondering if there were any experienced programmers out there who had messed around with connecting a block library to AutoCAD through a cloud database? I am looking for some help as I would like to develop an API that would connect data managed by a 3rd party web service to the blocks placed into AutoCAD. Tutorials would be fantastic, as well.

Instead of bogging down the computers with files and folders, it would be nice to have all of my blocks located on a web page where they can be downloaded through AutoCAD and their usage can be tracked.

Does anyone have any experience with doing something like this? I'm open to sharing ideas with people but if you feel the need to private message me about helping with development that is perfectly acceptable.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 08:14:42 PM by bfred805 »

ChrisCarlson

Re: Cloud Block Library
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 08:22:10 AM »
I think nothing like this exists as block libraries are not that taxing on a network, plus if the "cloud" is down you are kind of SOL when it comes to obtaining the files. The (3) main providers each have had complete outages within the past year, with MS just last week having their Azure network down.

I don't use the design center but from what I do know, you essentially go into drawings and pull the blocks you want. Unless you had each block as it's own DWG file, I don't know of a way to "track" each block you pull down. One way to track which files are accessed look into a 3rd party windows or *nix auditing program which can track what users pull what files.

bfred805

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 12:01:06 PM »
I think nothing like this exists as block libraries are not that taxing on a network, plus if the "cloud" is down you are kind of SOL when it comes to obtaining the files. The (3) main providers each have had complete outages within the past year, with MS just last week having their Azure network down.

I don't use the design center but from what I do know, you essentially go into drawings and pull the blocks you want. Unless you had each block as it's own DWG file, I don't know of a way to "track" each block you pull down. One way to track which files are accessed look into a 3rd party windows or *nix auditing program which can track what users pull what files.

Something similar exists, for sure. I used to work with a team that was developing a block library for manufacturer's site furnishings. My role was on manufacturer recruitment and customer satisfaction. Unfortunately, it was very clunky and needed much refinement but in all, it worked well for what it was. We would enter the product information in our server and then that would connect to all of our users who could download in AutoCAD. (I believe that when they download, the program downloads the block directly to a folder in the program.)

I know it was possible to access an html web interface through either OpenDCL or VisualLISP because I'm doing it at we speak. I guess what I am really looking for is how to create an interface that would allow users to upload data from AutoCAD to the internet. A project that is created in AutoCAD can have the data sent back to the internet where it can be used by another party. Does that sound more reasonable?

mkweaver

• Bull Frog
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 07:51:47 AM »
Have you seen http://adndevblog.typepad.com/autocad/2014/11/autodesk-autocad-io.html?:
AutoCAD I/O API is HTTP (REST) API set that enables applications to query, create, update, project, and transform DWG content. AutoCAD I/O API is in beta stage now. We invite you to try it out and give us feedback!  This new API enables AutoCAD’s core functionality in a web service environment.

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 08:49:27 AM »
!!
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

bfred805

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2014, 11:26:36 AM »
Perfect, thank you!