Author Topic: Transitioning from one work plane to another while routing pipe  (Read 2054 times)

Barry Clark

Transitioning from one work plane to another while routing pipe
« on: December 03, 2014, 07:43:16 AM »
Say I have a building with roof that is peaked in the middle and sloping downward away from that peak on two sides. Pretty simple scenario. Currently, I just draw in the pipe to a swing joint, rotate appropriately, and then continue down the other slope. It works... but takes some math on my part.

Is there a way to start the pipe routing process on one work plane (for slope 1) and, when appropriate, select another work plane (slope 2) and then the pipe is heading down that slope?

Make sense?

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: Transitioning from one work plane to another while routing pipe
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 08:58:13 AM »
curious?

can one not enter the slope of the roof/panel one wants the pipe to follow?
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Barry Clark

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 10:06:56 AM »
curious?

can one not enter the slope of the roof/panel one wants the pipe to follow?
I can... but man would it be easier to just select work planes and be able to draw pipe and have it just follow the changing work planes. Of course, I am sure in practice this would tougher than I have it worked out in my head.

rvhwlc

• Newt
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 05:36:39 PM »
To my knowledge, Pipe Families are anchored to Levels only, not Reference Planes, so this option is out. As far as selecting slopes, I don't believe you can change slopes while the Pipe tool is active, even after choose a second pick. It'll just override the pipe altogether unless you have a fitting in place, such as on a 45 or 90.

Sounds like you may have to find another method.

Barry Clark

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 08:11:55 PM »
To my knowledge, Pipe Families are anchored to Levels only, not Reference Planes, so this option is out. As far as selecting slopes, I don't believe you can change slopes while the Pipe tool is active, even after choose a second pick. It'll just override the pipe altogether unless you have a fitting in place, such as on a 45 or 90.

Sounds like you may have to find another method.
Indeed. If the sloped in mid route, the whole thing changes. You have to stop and then start again.