Author Topic: Idiot Architects and Custom Tags  (Read 7992 times)

hudster

• Gator
Idiot Architects and Custom Tags
« on: November 14, 2014, 05:14:47 AM »
The design team I'm on has an architect who has created his own custom room tag, Instead of using room name for the room name, he created a custom one called room description.  :idiot2:
Now when I link his model, make it room bounding, add my spaces and use the space naming utility, all the rooms have no name, because the room name value is blank.

He says its too far in to change it, having named almost 750 rooms, so is there a way I can set up a formula in the room tag to have Room Name = Room Description.

If not there is no way I'm filling in this information manually, so all our drawings will have no room names on them.
Revit BDS 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, AutoCAD 2017, 2016, Navisworks 2017, 2016, BIM360 Glue

John Kaul (Se7en)

• Administrator
  • Needs a day job
Re: Idiot Architects and Custom Tags
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 06:06:45 AM »
Change your space tag to read his parameters.

...Why are you using the space naming utility in the first place? You should have a space tag that reads the ROOM NAME and ROOM NUMBER parameter.
TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)

Donate to TheSwamp.org

Rob...

• King Gator
  • Take a little time to stop and smell the roses.
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2014, 07:34:28 AM »
Mr. Se7en, are you saying there is no need for the space naming utility anymore?
CAD Tech

John Kaul (Se7en)

• Administrator
  • Needs a day job
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2014, 08:15:19 AM »
To get a room tag? There never was a need for that utility (Honestly, I just learned about it a year or two ago so I've never used it).  ...now, if you want "BIM" then yes there would be a need for that utility but most people don't do `BIM' so my answer will still have to be "no".

Donate to TheSwamp.org

Rob...

• King Gator
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2014, 08:18:50 AM »
So, are you using room tags and not even using spaces?
CAD Tech

John Kaul (Se7en)

• Administrator
  • Needs a day job
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2014, 08:24:22 AM »
No. I use spaces. My space tag reads the ROOM NAME parameter and not the SPACE NAME parameter.

1. Open the space tag.
2. Select the top LABEL (the one that says SPACE NAME).
3. Hit the EDIT LABEL button at the top.
4. Use the ROOM NAME parameter (see the screen shot).
5. Rinse and repeat as necessary.

Donate to TheSwamp.org

John Kaul (Se7en)

• Administrator
  • Needs a day job
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2014, 08:35:09 AM »
Attached is an adjusted space tag to do what I said above. This file is for Revit 2015.

Donate to TheSwamp.org

Rob...

• King Gator
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2014, 08:40:57 AM »
I understand what you are saying but I think this is one of those things that confuses me about Revit. There are different ways for doing what seems to be the same thing.

Why can't we use the room names/numbers? Is it that not giving the spaces that room information would cause issues in scheduling or could space names/numbers be replaced with room info in schedules?

There has to be a reason why we have to jump through this hoop.
CAD Tech

John Kaul (Se7en)

• Administrator
  • Needs a day job
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2014, 08:57:37 AM »
I will try to help eliminate confusion.

My principle is to do as little effort as necessary so whenever I can I use what is already done instead of reproducing it [-i.e. in this case, the arch already typed the room names, why would I spend time retyping or "updating"]. The act of retyping or updating (with that space naming util) is way too many moving parts for me (too complicated and something will break or get forgotten).

Your schedules can certainly read the name and number parameters from the room instead of the space with zero chance of a problem.

However, when you get to using a load calc program (Carrier, Trane) you will have a problem in that all your spaces won't have names so you would have to use something like the space naming util or just fly blind and re-import when done. Although if you've tried using Trace with gbXML files in the past you will already know that there is a problem or two using Trace from a gbXML file and try to avoid this in the first place...

Typically, I don't care what my space name/numbers are. I do create them and use zones as well. My schedules read the room name/number parameters. I never have to "update" space names.

Help any?

Donate to TheSwamp.org

Rob...

• King Gator
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2014, 09:04:34 AM »
Sort of helps...

I like your thinking/methodology.

So, within Revit, there is no use for space names/numbers that could not be done with that room info. It only comes into play for other programs.
CAD Tech

John Kaul (Se7en)

• Administrator
  • Needs a day job
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2014, 09:15:07 AM »
Thanks. me too. :p

For the most part. Obviously the built in load calc program would be effected as well but most of your input is done with a schedule(s) or the plan views so it isn't that bad. And, I still don't trust that built in calc engine yet; the best I've ever gotten was a 10% difference from Trace (I dislike Trace as well but...). BTW, do you do use the gbXML format for loads?

Donate to TheSwamp.org

hudster

• Gator
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2014, 09:20:41 AM »
We export the building as GBXML data so our M&E engineers can use it for the simulation programs, so we need to have the spaces names as per room name and number so they can find what they need to
Revit BDS 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, AutoCAD 2017, 2016, Navisworks 2017, 2016, BIM360 Glue

Rob...

• King Gator
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2014, 09:22:02 AM »
As far as I know, we are not using any calc programs for sizing.

I'm not sure what is used for loads.
CAD Tech

John Kaul (Se7en)

• Administrator
  • Needs a day job
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2014, 09:24:13 AM »
We export the building as GBXML data so our M&E engineers can use it for the simulation programs, so we need to have the spaces names as per room name and number so they can find what they need to

Looks like you better start typing. :/

As far as I know, we are not using any calc programs for sizing.

I'm not sure what is used for loads.

You should be fine.

Donate to TheSwamp.org

Rob...

• King Gator
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2014, 09:29:34 AM »
You should be fine.

Thank you but we won't be switching as we "plan" on using that stuff and are setting up our standards in anticipation of when we get to that point, years from now.
CAD Tech