Author Topic: Shared Paramters Question  (Read 1771 times)

diarmuid

• Bull Frog
Shared Paramters Question
« on: November 19, 2014, 05:57:16 AM »
I have at present a single shared paramters file that is used for all information that is required across all of our projects.

Is this the correct application of the shared paramters file.  I can only have on connected to a project model at any time.  Should i be exploring the possiblity of using a project specific Shared paramters file?  Many of these projects will be in use at the same time.

Your opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Diarmuid
If you want to win something run the 100m, if you want to experience something run a marathon

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
Re: Shared Paramters Question
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 06:23:42 AM »
I have been meaning to ask this question too. 

We use the "each client gets their own project parameters file" because of work with the various government agencies that have their own standards, (IE GSA, Army Corp, NAVFAC, etc).  Sometimes it is a pain to remap parameters and I find that you have to disciplined to remember to change it to the correct parameter file. 

Something tells me that we are doing it wrong.  But what do I know, this is only my 5th Revit project.
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here for camaraderie

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 07:54:12 AM »
To keep things simple I would use a single shared parameter file and simply create different groups for each client.  This would eliminate the need to have to switch to, and maintain, different files.
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io

rvhwlc

• Newt
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 11:12:54 AM »
To keep things simple I would use a single shared parameter file and simply create different groups for each client.  This would eliminate the need to have to switch to, and maintain, different files.
I second this.

Although highly... and I do mean highly improbable, there are some cases in which ID's can conflict from multiple or merged Shared Parameter File (aka SPF). One file per company is best, with intuitive Groups to organize for different inter-operable groups or external clients.

hudster

• Gator
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 10:51:00 AM »
We use a single shared parameter file, with additional client driven parameters added to a new group as well.
All our standard families use our parameters, then we supplement where required with Client parameters.

This makes life a lot easier when it comes to scheduling equipment in each project
Revit BDS 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, AutoCAD 2017, 2016, Navisworks 2017, 2016, BIM360 Glue