Author Topic: Implementing shared coordinates / impact on others  (Read 2287 times)

John Kaul (Se7en)

• Administrator
  • Needs a day job
Implementing shared coordinates / impact on others
« on: November 12, 2014, 10:35:09 AM »
I'm in the beginning phases of a multi-stage project (each phase is a project in itself but they are all for one client and all are part of one larger project) but I need a crash course on coordinates and how they could impact others (please help me brainstorm because this is an area I am not good at).

Project(s) Background:
I have a project with nine projects in it. Two GC's and two Architects. To give a scale reference each of the projects/phases are medium to big in scale (example: P1: addition of 3-4 floors. P2: renovate floors 5-8. P3: surgery floor addition/expansion. etc.). I plan on having two models (don't ask) but I need the models to fit together. Each Architect has already started modeling (of course) but I wanted to know how to approach this coordinate issue.

Architect one (doing 7/9 projects): using shared coords.
Architect two (doing 2/9 projects): NOT using shared coords and not in the correct location.

I want to use the same coordinates for each project so how should I go about getting this all hashed out; how and what is the best way to get the arch2 model moved to new coordinates?
TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)

Donate to TheSwamp.org

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
Re: Implementing shared coordinates / impact on others
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 10:51:37 AM »
I recently went through a similar situation and what we ended up doing was making all teams had the same project base point and survey point coordinates.  It was as simple as 1) determining which one was correct and then 2) turn on the project and survey points and manually editing the coordinates.  The tricky spot was getting the Civil 3D model and landscraper's drawings in the same location so when we combine everything into Navisworks it all falls into place.  Which, for the record, they DO fall into place.  :)
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io

John Kaul (Se7en)

• Administrator
  • Needs a day job
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 10:55:16 AM »
Would that be the same as Acquire and Publish coordinates or is it, in this case, a manual edit?

lol nice.

Donate to TheSwamp.org

Matt__W

• Seagull
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 10:58:29 AM »
I believe they're basically the same thing (acquire/publish vs. manual edit).
Autodesk Expert Elite

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2014, 12:05:20 PM »
Yep!  You will need one big ole design team love fest.  You poor bastard.   :lol:
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here for camaraderie

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2014, 01:05:41 PM »
I recently went through a similar situation and what we ended up doing was making all teams had the same project base point and survey point coordinates.  It was as simple as 1) determining which one was correct and then 2) turn on the project and survey points and manually editing the coordinates.  The tricky spot was getting the Civil 3D model and landscraper's drawings in the same location so when we combine everything into Navisworks it all falls into place.  Which, for the record, they DO fall into place.  :)

The civil file 'should' have already been in the correct location....and editing the survey points should not have been required.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Matt__W

• Seagull
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2014, 01:14:36 PM »

The civil file 'should' have already been in the correct location....and editing the survey points should not have been required.
I believe the landscraper's drawing was out in the middle of nowhere, the surveyor's drawings and our civil drawings were referencing the correct coordinate system and the Revit models where started at some random location, close to Revit's 0,0,0.
Autodesk Expert Elite

John Kaul (Se7en)

• Administrator
  • Needs a day job
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2014, 02:19:15 PM »
Didn't work (didn't really think it would); the two architect firms are not part of "a master project". I had to "relocate the project" (created another position). I will have to ask this arch to add this location to their model or deal with this issue when and if I have to. I have to move on to other things right now. Thank you all for your help.

Donate to TheSwamp.org