Author Topic: The ONE most important standard  (Read 31768 times)

CADaver

The ONE most important standard
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2005, 11:21:03 PM »
Quote from: Tim Riley
Uhh...we have standard titleblocks and revision triangles. That's about as far as our CAD Standards go anymore.  :(
But if you were the CAD-GAWD and could make just one mandate, it would be......?

CADaver

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2005, 11:23:03 PM »
Quote from: MP
(2) Our CADD Standards Manual is a living document that each of us is responsible for making sure is as up to date as practical. To witt, any standard which, in your opinion fails to ensure our CADD deliverables fully meet the requirements of our clients*, or has become antiquated by changes or improvements to AutoCAD shall be immediately brought to the attention of CADD Management so the document may be ammended appropriately.

* Client may be in-house or third party.

(3) If the procedure(s) associated with a standard can be automated such that adherence to the standard is assured or made more seemless please contact CADD Management so that said automation may be investigated.

Have you been reading our standards?  Wait a minute, you're not working for me under some alias or something are you?

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2005, 08:08:59 AM »
(1) Adherence to company standards is a condition of employment; repeated failure to comply with said standards will be considered a failure to meet those terms and conditions, and justifiable means for termination.

Thats the one I wish we'd have in our Manual. Ah well maybe one day :?
Thanks for explaining the word "many" to me, it means a lot.

Dinosaur

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2005, 08:21:30 AM »
I work in a shop that has only two or sometimes three production drafters / technicians.  Each of us are more under pressure from the engineer to get his deadline met without giving a rat's behind about any standards.  The "prime directive" boils down to "do it as fast as you can and make it look like Steve did it" (me).
So what do I tell them?  I am not really into controlling exactly how a person performs every task and prefer to focus on the finished product.  I tell them to make their notes clear enough for a moron to understand what is required and give them a print that shows a sample of about everything we will ever draw along with lettering styles and the methodolgy for their adjustment to any scale, a set of layers to start out with and my own directive - EVERYTHING MUST BE DRAWN ACCURATELY AND TO SCALE.  There is no grey area here, it is either drawn correctly or it is wrong.  If it is correct all is well and any changes go smoothly. If not, it will fall upon me to fix their mess and NO ONE wants to travel that road more than once.

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2005, 08:43:11 AM »
Quote from: CADaver
Have you been reading our standards?  Wait a minute, you're not working for me under some alias or something are you?

Nope, those were off the top of me nuggin'.

The way I figures it -- it is vital the document be put into perspective right up front, lest all the effort to detail "how it ought-a-be", well, be for naught.

:cheesy:
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

daron

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2005, 08:55:23 AM »
The only "STANDARD" I know of here is, "DO IT RIGHT".

MP

• Seagull
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2005, 08:56:53 AM »
Quote from: Daron
The only "STANDARD" I know of here is, "DO IT RIGHT".

Good thing everyone agrees on what "Do it right" means.

:lol:
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

daron

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2005, 09:03:40 AM »
Yah! Right! :lol:

whdjr

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2005, 10:00:26 AM »
STANDARD

What's a standard?

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2005, 10:18:45 AM »
They are all important here. Most I've standardized so the users don't even know they are following standards. A big one I would same is file naming conventions.

Ron

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

whdjr

« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2005, 10:26:10 AM »
How about these for Bidders Standards:

Code: [Select]
         EXTRA NOTICE TO ALL BIDDERS

1.  The work we want did is clearly showed on the attached plans and specifications.  Our Engineers, who has had plenty of college, spent one hell of a lot of time when they drawed these here plans and specifications, but nobody can think of everything.

Once your bid is in, that's it, Brother.  From then on, anything wanted by our engineers, or any of their friends or anybody else (except the bidder) shall be considered as showed, specified or implied and shall be provided by the bidder without no expense to nobody but himself (meaning the bidder).

2.  If the work is did without no extra expense to the bidder, then the work will be took down and did again until the extra expense to the contractor is satisfactory to our engineers,

3.  Our engineers plan is right as drawed.  If something is drawed wrong, it shall be discovered by the bidder, corrected and did right with no expense to us.  It won't cut no ice with us or our engineer if you point out any mistakes our engineer has drawed.  If you do, it will be one hell of a long time before you do any more work for us or him (meaning the engineer).

Any attempt, by the bidder, to discredit our engineers highstanding reputations by sneaky means like showing a cheaper way to do something or showin why we don't need it no way is likely to result in bad things happen to him (meaning the bidder).

4.  The bidder is not supposed to make fun of our engineers, his plans or the kind of work we're having did.  If he do, its just too bad for him (meaning the bidder).

5.  Any bidder walking around the job with a smile on his face is subject to a review of his bid.

6.  If the bidder don't find all our engineer's mistakes before he bids the job, or if the bidder ain't got enough sense to know that our engineers is going to think up a bunch of new stuff that's going to have to be did before the job is completed, then its just too bad for him (meaning the bidder).

7.  The bidder got to use all good stuff on this job - none of this crap from Japan.

8.  Any bidder who watches (or ever watched) 60 Minutes or knows the name "Mike Wallace" won't be getting any contracts soon.

:lol:

Kate M

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2005, 01:07:47 PM »
Use Polar. And osnaps. There are no excuses for a 1/256" gap or a 0.01%%d rotation.

CADaver

« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2005, 01:07:59 PM »
Quote from: whdjr
How about these for Bidders Standards:
You forgot:
    All pipe this project shall have the hole on the inside of the pipe.  Pipe with the hole on the outside shall be reffered to as rebar.[/list:u]

dubb

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2005, 01:37:21 PM »
have you ever heard of the saying in autocad

"if you draw it more than once, well then you must be doing it wrong?

agree..?

MP

• Seagull
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2005, 02:03:15 PM »
That applies to computer based information systems (which CADD is one) in general, "If you're entering it more than once you're / we're doing it wrong".