Author Topic: Sharing the wealth ( Mnu verses Cui for 2006 )  (Read 3446 times)

ML

Sharing the wealth ( Mnu verses Cui for 2006 )
« on: April 14, 2005, 01:06:09 PM »
Hey Folks

For anyone using (or planning to use) AutoCAD 2006, it looks like there is some drastic changes in the way you customize menus. I found this link and wanted to share it with everyone. Hopefully, this will spur some discussion and we can all help each other work through it.

Mark

ModShrunkenLink

Crank

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2005, 07:23:05 PM »
Thanks.

Didn't read everything... It seems we are all beta testers :shock:
But maybe it has some answers to my questions.

At least I know now that you can make a Main CUI for customizing and an Enterprise CUI for use only. And how you do that in theorie. :)

I guess we all have to learn some new stuff, but at this moment it's not always clear to me what's happening. At my work I tried some things, but the result was not always as expected. It took me 1 hour to solve a problem that with the old menu never would have occured.

Tomorrow I will do some more reading. Maybe I can find answers to questions like: What is the difference between CUIIMPORT and CUIEXPORT? Why are there 2 commands, because I don't see any difference between them...
Vault Professional 2023     +     AEC Collection

ML

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2005, 10:27:08 AM »
Hey Crank,

So, how does it work exactly?

For instance, I have a company menu. Can that menu be my main customization file as well as the enterprise cui file?

I realize there can be only one enterprise file (I believe) but can we still customize many cui files?

While we are trying to get up to speed, can we still customize our .mns files and menuload them into 2006 as much as we need?

Mark

ML

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2005, 10:28:02 AM »
Can you export a .cui to .mns?

TR

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2005, 11:09:42 AM »
XML will save us all whether we like it or not!!!!

CADaver

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2005, 11:37:26 AM »
Does anyone know how the new CUI handles MNLs?

pmvliet

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2005, 01:14:28 PM »
I really need my copy of 2006....

MikePerry

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2005, 01:25:26 PM »
Quote from: CADaver
Hi

MNLs still exist as per normal.

Have a good one, Mike

pmvliet

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2005, 04:35:18 PM »
I started reading some of those threads and boy does this look like an interesting process...

We were talking in our office that one reason that AutoDesk is pushing yearly releases is to make money. But this is hurting the 3rd party developers because they are not having the ability to keep up with AutoDesk. Companies who customize extensively are also starting to see the pinch.

They also realize that unless they make it easier and faster to migrate to a new version, people will not upgrade. That is why they have the cap where they will only support a version for 3 years.

Pieter

Crank

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2005, 06:14:29 AM »
Quote from: ML
Hey Crank,

So, how does it work exactly?

For instance, I have a company menu. Can that menu be my main customization file as well as the enterprise cui file?

I think you can, if you use a different profile than the normal users.
But Autodesk advises to use two different profiles:
"Once you've moved a CUI file to the Enterprise CUI location (Options > Files > Costomization Files), you don't have to move it back and forth to edit it. Just create another profile that points to the CUI file but as a Main Customization File. Use this profile to make changes to the CUI."

I haven't tried this, but perhaps it's easyer to make different workspaces (Main and Enterprise) to do that.

I realize there can be only one enterprise file (I believe) but can we still customize many cui files?

Yes, you can.

While we are trying to get up to speed, can we still customize our .mns files and menuload them into 2006 as much as we need?

Mark

I'm am also customizing my .mns. This is no problem when you do that on the same location as where the .CUI will be used. When I did some modifications to the .mns at home and tried to load that at work, I got new icons, but the old toolbars.
From what I understand of it, is that the .CUI-files have a history of the changes. And because I did work on the menu on 2 locations that history was corrupt. The solution was to shutdown Autocad and remove my own .cui-file. After that when I used menuload / cuiload again to load my .mns-file, everyting was fine.

Can you export a .cui to .mns?

No

Quote from: CADaver

Everything's the same with .MNLs.

Crank

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2005, 07:42:10 AM »
I think I know why I didn't see any changes when I tried the modifications at a different location: The workspaces were not the same....

ML

XML
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2005, 07:35:09 AM »
Hey Tim,

So tell us how XML is going to save us?
I do not know much about it, just hope that we can all migrate over farily quickly