Author Topic: C3D: Plot Style in object style is hard coded to be ByBlock/ByLayer. Why?  (Read 3615 times)

alanjt

• Needs a day job
  • Standby for witty remark...
I never noticed this before, but in any style where there is a Display tab, for the Plot Style column, it is hard coded to be ByBlock and occasionally ByLayer. Why is this? Is this controlled somewhere? Why are some ByBlock and others are, more sensibly, ByLayer?
Civil 3D 2019 ~ Windohz 7 64bit
Dropbox

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
someone at autodesk thought BYBLOCK was what everyone should use
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

BlackBox

• King Gator
Perhaps I'm overlooking the issue... If the Style is set to ByBlock, and your Style-based entities are created as ByLayer by default, then they only differ from ByLayer if you've manually intentionally changed them to not be ByLayer after the fact, no? :?

That said, I should think that like layers, etc. C3D Admin should be able to set as they please, so I'm not a fan of hard-coding this value either :-D... To Liberty! :beer:

Cheers
"How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

alanjt

• Needs a day job
  • Standby for witty remark...
someone at autodesk thought BYBLOCK was what everyone should use
Ugh. That's what I figured.

Perhaps I'm overlooking the issue... If the Style is set to ByBlock, and your Style-based entities are created as ByLayer by default, then they only differ from ByLayer if you've manually intentionally changed them to not be ByLayer after the fact, no? :?

That said, I should think that like layers, etc. C3D Admin should be able to set as they please, so I'm not a fan of hard-coding this value either :-D... To Liberty! :beer:

Cheers
Right, but if you want to change a certain layer to be non-plottable, the style will ignore that change since the plotstyle is byblock, rather than being bylayer in the style display settings.
Just odd.
Civil 3D 2019 ~ Windohz 7 64bit
Dropbox

BlackBox

• King Gator

Cheers
Right, but if you want to change a certain layer to be non-plottable, the style will ignore that change since the plotstyle is byblock, rather than being bylayer in the style display settings.
Just odd.

*IF* I'm understanding you correctly....

Doing that was an integral part of my workflow at my last job, which is why I am at a loss for seeing the issue... I'd draw pipe networks in Plan in my Profile View model (we kept them all in one drawing, and XREF into sheets in lieu of PPT), I'd set the pipe networks layer to no plot ('dumb' single lines in site plan model), and project what I needed into Profile, and Section View at will.

Pipe networks visible through Viewport in Sheets didn't plot, and those projected into Profile View did.

When engineer wanted to see pipe walls for clearance (single lines from site plan model typically print, but pipe network styles in Profile View model showed OD), I'd simply change the pipe network layers in Profile View model to plot, and publish sheets (where they showed up).

Maybe I'm just missing the issue at play here. :|
"How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."