Author Topic: X-Ref .jpg ?  (Read 3407 times)

Bethrine

X-Ref .jpg ?
« on: October 07, 2014, 07:16:00 PM »
Can you x-ref a .jpg picture? I added them in as attachments and I am getting some funny errors such as:

danallen

Re: X-Ref .jpg ?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 07:25:15 PM »
That is normal, you attach images, they are not xrefs, though behave similarly.

I sometimes create files with just an image attached, then xref that into another file, so that I can scale X & Y differently, so as to say align scanned hand drawn floor plan with our CAD, if the scan was distorted. Also avoids problem I had on old acad 2005 of collecting a bunch of unreferenced images.

Rob...

• King Gator
  • Take a little time to stop and smell the roses.
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 08:08:11 PM »
That error happens when you have "special" characters in the file name. You can still attach the file with an alternate name that you can assign in that box.
CAD Tech

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 09:13:38 AM »
I sometimes create files with just an image attached, then xref that into another file,

1+

so that I can scale X & Y differently, so as to say align scanned hand drawn floor plan with our CAD, if the scan was distorted.

If you have Raster Design (predominantly bundled with Suites?), or Map 3D at your disposal, you might also consider their 'rubber sheet' functionality in the IRSHEET, and ADERSHEET Commands respectively.

Cheers
"How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 09:30:31 AM »
I sometimes create files with just an image attached, then xref that into another file,

1+

so that I can scale X & Y differently, so as to say align scanned hand drawn floor plan with our CAD, if the scan was distorted.

If you have Raster Design (predominantly bundled with Suites?), or Map 3D at your disposal, you might also consider their 'rubber sheet' functionality in the IRSHEET, and ADERSHEET Commands respectively.

Cheers

caution on this - SID files will not rubber sheet without being converted.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2014, 09:38:44 AM »

Correct. :-)

We don't use .SID for aerials being saved to the project. For that we use IEXPORT Command to produce another image format, such as .PNG to retain the ability to 'twist' our view and retain the image.

Most counties/municipalities we work with (hardly a litmus for the rest of the country), now provide either .TIF, or .ECW files.

Cheers
"How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2014, 09:44:22 AM »

Correct. :-)

We don't use .SID for aerials being saved to the project. For that we use IEXPORT Command to produce another image format, such as .PNG to retain the ability to 'twist' our view and retain the image.

Most counties/municipalities we work with (hardly a litmus for the rest of the country), now provide either .TIF, or .ECW files.

Cheers
we have taken to using the 'geo viewer' to export JPG with world files.
and some other command utilities to embed WKT information in the USGS topo images as they do not have that information embedded as the SID files do.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Bethrine

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2014, 10:30:17 AM »
I changed the file names and so far so good. I was using the original .jpg automatic file names (?).

We don't do this often but we are trying to get people who don't normally do the work we need done to do it and they need more detail.  :police:

Thank you!

DIW_CADtech

• Bull Frog
  • Push limits, embrace success, & discard failure.
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2014, 11:01:39 PM »
Our clients are municipalities..and the dwg's we submit must be stand alone items.. thus.. we can't attache images, and xrefs have to be bound.  We do insert pictures from time to time.. and in color.. this is what we do..
1st.. make sure the image file preferably JPG  is les than 1 megabite in size  or 1,000 KB
2nd open the image in MS Paint
3rd  select all
4th Copy
5th hop back to Autocad and from the edit menu do a paste special  "as paintbrush image"

Now, once it's in autocad it's an OLE object and you can't use anything from the properties pallet to adjust..
we typically use the GIMP to do minor adjustments.. if you have Photoshop or whatever.. go ahead and use that, then save as JPG and follow the above process.   
rarely for no aparent reason it doesn't work.. but 99.99%  if you follow the above.. it works and the image is IN the DWG file not referenced.  I've done this 100's of times.  color.. black and white.. etc.....
I am very  trainable....   (forgive my spelling)

Rob...

• King Gator
  • Take a little time to stop and smell the roses.
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2014, 06:45:39 AM »
OLE objects are buggy. I'd advise avoiding them unless absolutely necessary as in DIW's case.
CAD Tech

Bethrine

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2014, 10:07:46 AM »
I used the attach command.  :oops: Is working fine so far.