Author Topic: Which virtual machine for AutoCAD?  (Read 16164 times)

Peter2

• Swamp Rat
Which virtual machine for AutoCAD?
« on: August 23, 2014, 06:02:22 PM »
Hi

since 1.5  years I use VMWare Workstation for my AutoCADs (on Win 7 x64), and it works so-so (sometimes heavy graphic issues: delays, phantom images,..; sometimes crashes with USB headset). Now I lost 1.5 days with the update from 9 to 10 - all "VMWare tools" are not installed because the  "MSI error 1603". Now I'm really fed up - many postings of many frustrated users in many VMware-forums, no clear solution, old links in VMWare KB, no support from VMWare ("you have not paid support"). I'm in the mood to throw it in the trash-can.

So: Who uses VMs for AutoCAD? Which can be recommended for Autocad?

Have a nice sunday.
Peter

AutoCAD Map 3D 2023 German (so some technical terms will be badly retranslated to English)
BricsCAD V23

ChrisCarlson

Re: Which virtual machine for AutoCAD?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 09:45:42 AM »
Why do you need the VM?

Peter2

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 10:52:03 AM »
I need it because I have installed different versions of AutoCAD (onlyWin, XP and 7), and for different testings and configurations I separated it from my physical machine and need the snap-shot features of VM.

The drawings are rather simple, but with VMWare I have always delays and phantom-images using simple dialogues (although my  graphic is  a Nvidia K3000M - not the best, but should be enough)
Peter

AutoCAD Map 3D 2023 German (so some technical terms will be badly retranslated to English)
BricsCAD V23

ChrisCarlson

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 08:40:17 AM »
Personally I'd recommend VirtualBox over VMWare but with that said  the oldest currently supported version of ACAD seems to be 2012. Using different versions, especially pre-2013 with post-2013 could  be problematic as the file versions changed.

Peter2

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 08:47:40 AM »
...the oldest currently supported version of ACAD seems to be 2012....
Virtual Box makes differences between different software-versions? (The file-version of DWG (2010 / 2013) are no problem for me)

Peter
Peter

BricsCAD V23

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 08:50:16 AM »
Historically I've used VMWare, however now that we've upgraded to Windows 8.1 I just use Client Hyper-V which is built into the OS... In addition to allowing me to test apps in different environments, Client Hyper-V also helps with administration of our Windows Server 2012 R2 environment, as I can manage physical server Hyper-V from my workstation.

HTH
"How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Peter2

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 08:56:34 AM »
... to Windows 8.1 I just use Client Hyper-V which is built into the OS...
A quick view to the linked document shows that Hyper-V is available only in Win 8 - right?
Peter

BricsCAD V23

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 09:50:39 AM »
... to Windows 8.1 I just use Client Hyper-V which is built into the OS...
A quick view to the linked document shows that Hyper-V is available only in Win 8 - right?

Correct; Microsoft built the Hyper-V (virtualization management console) into the OS starting with Windows 8, which has free upgrade to Windows 8.1.

As I understand it, you're still using Window 7, and I am unsure of your VLSC/MSDN account status, so this only applies with upgrade to Windows 8.1+ (presuming this functionality is not removed in Windows 9 next month?).

If you're a fellow Microsoft BizSpark member, simply download the Windows 8.1 Enterprise license from MSDN.

Cheers

Peter2

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 10:36:44 AM »
...upgrade to Windows 8.1+ ...
At the moment I don't have any membership or licences not any plans to upgrade tp Win 8;I will stay at 7.
Peter

BricsCAD V23

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2014, 11:28:06 AM »
...upgrade to Windows 8.1+ ...
At the moment I don't have any membership or licences not any plans to upgrade tp Win 8;I will stay at 7.

In that case, continuing with VMWare, or moving to VirtualBox as ChrisCarlson recommended appear to be your options.

Cheers

Peter2

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2014, 11:36:46 AM »
But, if I understand him correctly, VirtualBox has problems with newer versions?
Peter

BricsCAD V23

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2014, 12:13:26 PM »
But, if I understand him correctly, VirtualBox has problems with newer versions?

Perhaps ChrisCarlson can clarify, as I do not use VirtualBox (I use Client Hyper-V); I find it strange that a VM host would pose issues for any AutoCAD application, as it just hosts a guest OS within each VM, and you should be able to install any OS compatible application within same, AFAIK.

ChrisCarlson

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2014, 11:13:37 AM »
I was referencing the utilizing of different AutoCAD versions which have different file saving extensions; eg 2013 drawing vs 2010 drawing.

Windows XP is no longer supported in any capacity for the average company. Exemptions exist for critical infrastructure instances but it should not exist anywhere on your network. I'd also look into upgrading to Windows 8.1 or Windows 9 as mainstream support for Windows 7 will end in January of 2015.

If you are purely testing between different versions of AutoCAD I'd just suggest installing all the versions on your host machine. All of this doesn't explain why you need to test said drawing, lisp routine, program, marcro on various platforms. Just sounds like it will make a hassle and confusion while it fragments everything.

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2014, 11:55:58 AM »
1+ multiple points, Chris.

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2014, 02:42:08 PM »
... as mainstream support for Windows 7 will end in January of 2015.

Uhhhh... what?   :?
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

cadtag

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2014, 03:33:50 PM »
... as mainstream support for Windows 7 will end in January of 2015.

Uhhhh... what?   :?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle

interesting..... 

note that 'mainstream support' for XP ended in 2009, and we know how that went.
The only thing more dangerous to the liberty of a free people than big government is big business

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2014, 04:22:39 PM »
Given that January 2015 is 3-4 months away and nobody running around with their hair on fire (SOP for OS upgrades) that sounded a little suspect.  End of 'extended support' is ~ 2020, which is much more in line.
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2014, 07:30:10 PM »
... running around with their hair on fire (SOP for OS upgrades)....

I upgraded our small office over a weekend, so the hair on fire took place after.  :-D

Peter2

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2014, 04:37:38 PM »
So, as recapitulation of this thread, there are not many alternatives at the moment. If I will find some time (sometimes ...) I will take a closer look to "Virtual Box", but at the moment I will keep the current state.

Thanks for your postings!
Peter

BricsCAD V23