Author Topic: Inserting doors question?  (Read 2238 times)

V-Man

• Bull Frog
  • I exist therefore I am! Finally Retired!
Inserting doors question?
« on: August 15, 2014, 09:02:04 AM »

Forgive me if this is not posted in the correct forum....

I am in need of some input from you guys on what's the best possible way to insert door blocks where an existing door opening already exist. Now, unfortunately we are NOT using dynamic blocks so I actually have blocks of doors representing all of the different sizes etc... For instance, I have a 08dr36lh (3'0 left hand) , 08dr36rh (right hand) , 08dr30lh (2'6" left hand) , 08dr30rh (2'6" right hand) and the list goes on and on from here. Now, I tried using Tool Palettes and that's easy enough but there are numerous images of all of the doors representing all of the different door sizes and swings etcc.  plus they all look the same in the image in the palette. Can any of you guys think of a better way for this to work.?? I don't mind using Tool palettes but I can't figure out a way that is efficient and easy for my end users.

I really appreciate any feedback on this.

Thanks,
AutoCAD 9 - 2023, AutoCADMap 2008 - 2010, Revit 2012 - 2022, Autocad Civil 3D 2023

hmspe

• Bull Frog
Re: Inserting doors question?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 09:47:35 AM »
First, what software is everyone running?  Is no dynamic blocks a preference or a requirement?  Id it necessary that the doors be blocks or can they be linework?

Options that come immediately to mind:

1.  Search for an existing lisp that does door insertion.  There are older routines available that do not use dynamic blocks.
2.  Create a set of toolbars to do the insertions.  Maybe master buttons for the main justifications (left hinge with door up, left hinge with door down, etc.) plus fly-outs for size.
3.  Create a DCL box (or better yet an OpenDCL box) to select the parameters.  This could be something like what Luis did for idoor.lsp (on this site).
4.  Write a lisp routine to dynamically draw the doors.  Pseudo code, which is based on similar code I use for inserting switches:
          Select insertion point.  If on an endpoint or intersection assume that the door is at the corner of a room and do an automatic offset.  Automatic rotation to match the wall.
          Use grread to select the side and direction.  Use a temporary block of a 3-0 door  to flip top to bottom and left to right to show the orientation onscreen.
          Use grread to set size.  Moving closer to the wall steps the size down in 2" increments, etc.

I'd opt for #4.
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman

V-Man

• Bull Frog
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 10:00:26 AM »

Thanks for the response. Everyone is using Autocad 2012 and the dynamic block is not a preference, it's a requirement unfortunately. The doors themselves need to be blocks not linework. I think Option 4 does look to be the way to go. I will have to research and dig into that.

I really appreciate the suggestion.
AutoCAD 9 - 2023, AutoCADMap 2008 - 2010, Revit 2012 - 2022, Autocad Civil 3D 2023

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 11:32:47 AM »

Thanks for the response. Everyone is using Autocad 2012 and the dynamic block is not a preference, it's a requirement unfortunately. The doors themselves need to be blocks not linework. I think Option 4 does look to be the way to go. I will have to research and dig into that.

I really appreciate the suggestion.

So you cannot use a dynamic block ? Seems like the perfect application.

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

V-Man

• Bull Frog
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2014, 10:15:33 AM »
So you cannot use a dynamic block ? Seems like the perfect application.

I agree but client requirements prohibit the use of them. :-( It would solve all of my problems. So sad...

d2010

• Bull Frog
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2014, 06:08:24 PM »
Forgive me if this is not posted in the correct forum..............................
I really appreciate any feedback on this.

My programe LISP (as VLX) insert  blocks (non-dynamic block for doors) 
Please,  you  see my movie ,if you are happy ,then you send to  me , the private  message.. here
http://www.puiubrat.3x.ro/carto3A/bya_topoltopt.files/pp_topolt_releveusi.html
The programe use only static block (e.g. autocad R14-block.dwg)

« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 07:51:17 AM by d2010 »