Author Topic: Block invisible during insert with explode option  (Read 2789 times)

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
Block invisible during insert with explode option
« on: August 13, 2014, 06:42:14 AM »
Pretty much as title suggests does anyone else have problems with blocks being invisible during insertion if using explode option
or if command line using *BlockName

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: Block invisible during insert with explode option
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 08:40:41 AM »
I think that is the way it has always worked?  Or, I've never noticed until now.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Hangman

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 10:39:56 AM »
Pretty much as title suggests does anyone else have problems with blocks being invisible during insertion if using explode option
or if command line using *BlockName

If using the 'explode' option, yes I am able to duplicate your scenario, it is invisible.  I can't duplicate the scenario for using the command line though.
<edit> Take that back, I am duplicating it for the command line as well.  I was focusing on the explode at the command line.
Hangman  8)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Drafting Board, Mechanical Arm, KOH-I-NOOR 0.7mm

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 10:59:43 AM »
I am not even close to a being considered a beginner with AutoLisp so feel free to tear apart and sure there are many problems and pitfalls to this but as an example you would think the explode option would be similar to this.
Code - Auto/Visual Lisp: [Select]
  1. (defun C:IB (/ name)
  2.   (setq name (getstring "\nBlockName: "))
  3.   (if (findfile (strcat name ".dwg"))
  4.     (progn
  5.     (command "._-insert" name PAUSE 1 1 PAUSE)
  6.     (command "explode" (entlast))
  7.     )
  8.   )
  9. )

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 11:08:02 AM »
trying to decide here;

is this a solution looking for a problem or a problem looking for a solution?

One can always 'explode' last

however if you are exploding the block, why do you care what it looks like as you place it, if you are only going to explode it to autocad bits anyway?
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Hangman

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 01:18:59 PM »
Actually I'm thinking Jeff came across an issue with ACAD.  Inserting a block using the dialog box w/ the Explode checked, the block is invisible when trying to place it in a drawing (before it is placed, therefore before it is exploded).
Likewise, inserting a block using the command line (.-insert) and specifying the name (*BlockName) also gives the user an invisible block until placed in the drawing.
But if you place a block in a drawing w/out the Explode box checked, you can see the block, therefore know where to place it.
Hangman  8)

Drafting Board, Mechanical Arm, KOH-I-NOOR 0.7mm

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 04:18:35 PM »
trying to decide here;

is this a solution looking for a problem or a problem looking for a solution?

One can always 'explode' last

however if you are exploding the block, why do you care what it looks like as you place it, if you are only going to explode it to autocad bits anyway?

Any other ideas how to automate insertion of blocks on certain layers with no code, all command line, no tool pallettes, etc..

There is no talking or changing their minds is does not matter what autocad offers or with slight change you could be able to do, I have never dealt with people so arrogant.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 04:26:27 PM »
Actually I'm thinking Jeff came across an issue with ACAD.  Inserting a block using the dialog box w/ the Explode checked, the block is invisible when trying to place it in a drawing (before it is placed, therefore before it is exploded).
Likewise, inserting a block using the command line (.-insert) and specifying the name (*BlockName) also gives the user an invisible block until placed in the drawing.
But if you place a block in a drawing w/out the Explode box checked, you can see the block, therefore know where to place it.

It is the way it has always been....not sure if that is an 'issue'

And from his last posting, it seems the issue is that some users want to EXPLODE most or all blocks for some crack-headed logic.  And because they don't understand that blocks are 'best' left un-exploded, they are wanting to complain that they can't see the block as it is being placed.

I'm sure there is perhaps a way, using some of Lee Mac's grread functions to 'draw' the block entities for them to see the block.

As I am almost certain that the block definition loses the ability to draw the block entities while being inserted with 'explode' option enabled.  So one would be left using some code to access the block...and then display the data...to enable viewing whilst inserting the blocks.

Be your Best

Michael Farrell