Author Topic: Annoying Prompt for name Adobe PDF driver  (Read 4709 times)

DIW_CADtech

• Bull Frog
  • Push limits, embrace success, & discard failure.
Annoying Prompt for name Adobe PDF driver
« on: July 28, 2014, 08:40:56 PM »
Folks,
Need some assistance here.  The municipality we work for is forcing us to plot to PDF using the Adobe Acrobat PDF driver.  The driver in of itself is not an issue, but when we publish.. it prompts for a file name for EVERY SINGLE DWG.  It is CRAZY annoying when you have to do a set of 60+ drawings. On top of that it opens each one. The whole idea of publishing is to have it set up so you can hit a button and walk away.. kinda defeats the purpose.

Has anyone dealt with this and found a solution?

We want to use the PDF to DWG driver, but the municipality has trouble printing.  I have a feeling it has something to do with non embedded fonts.. I will get more detailed info on their errors tomorrow. 

I'd be greatly obliged if anyone can assist.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 08:48:11 PM by DIW_CADtech »
I am very  trainable....   (forgive my spelling)

Rob...

• King Gator
  • Take a little time to stop and smell the roses.
Re: Annoying Prompt for name Adobe PDF driver
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 05:50:38 AM »
I'm not familiar with that driver but have a look around the printer properties from the page set-up dialog. Create a new page set-up for these plots in case you do not want to change your default one. At a minimum, I would expect there to be an option for opening (or not) each file after it is generated. I would think there would be one for automatic saving.

I'm almost willing to bet that this demand is because they have received PDFs with black boxes in place of wipeouts and using that driver solved the issue in that instance.
CAD Tech

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 07:16:22 AM »
Change your Adobe printer settings by going thru AutoCAD's preference prompt. 

Change the setting as shown below listed below.  By changing the folder output location to your documents folder, it will save time on the naming the files but you will have to move the files afterwards which cost time but there is a savings.   

Have you look into the sheet set manager.  It will handle the Plotting, naming and folder location for you and consistently every time you plot.  However there is a learning and "mindset" curves to get over; nothing to painful however.

I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

Greg B

• Seagull
  • Tell me a Joke!
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 09:51:08 AM »
There quite likely is an option to create a multipage PDF since it is Adobe.

Are you looking to have a single PDF for all the sheets or do you want each sheet to be its own PDF file?

DIW_CADtech

• Bull Frog
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 11:32:06 AM »
I am looking to have each sheet be a stand alone PDF.  But while I'm running the Autocad Publish, i don't want to be prompted for the name and save locations. 

I know this sounds crazy, but I have made the changes you pointed out in the image of the PDF options and it still doesn't perform that way.  It still prompts for the name, and opens the file.

Rob...

• King Gator
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 11:37:02 AM »
Have you applied those settings to a Page Setup then applied it to all of the layouts either in the actual layout or by importing within publisher?
CAD Tech

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2014, 12:22:18 PM »
I stopped printing to the PDF format. The drivers are horrible. I now print to XPS or DWFx.

Since I still have to obviously support PDFs (namely because I am forced to deal with other people) I currently print to XPS and use a tool to convert the files to a PDF. GhostscriptXPS will convert to PDF. NOTE: the tool is pretty slow (still a bit new) so you need to allow yourself about 30 minutes to convert a big (~40-50 sheets) set of files but it's not that bad; make the files and convert with a BAT script while you go get some coffee.

http://www.ghostscript.com/
TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)
Member location map - Add yourself

Donate to TheSwamp.org

Rob...

• King Gator
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2014, 12:43:44 PM »
I can't speak as to the quality of the drivers but I can create a 40-50 sheet set of vector or raster PDFs in a matter of minutes using the DWG to PDF driver. There was a time when I was struggling with making PDFs but I was on an old version of AutoCAD on Windows 7 but now, on AC2014, it's just a matter of having a proper page setup.
CAD Tech

DIW_CADtech

• Bull Frog
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2014, 01:37:49 PM »
To Rob,
Ideally, I would use the DWG to PDF driver, as it has historically worked the best for us, but again this municipality has contacted us in the past and told us that they can open the files, but have issues printing when we use that driver.

Since I am human.. I will try the suggested method again, and make sure I save the settings to the "Standard" print settings.  But the sheets themselves have the plot setting directing them to the adobe printer.  I don't know if that specifies "Standard" print setting, but I can not edit that, as it is controled by our CAD manager, and would affect our whole office if I attempted to modify.  I do have control over my CAD machine & settings.  However, we have 8 people working for this munisipality. I need a solution that works on every machine, not just mine.  If this works I can pass it to my CAD manager, and he can issue a direcive for everyone to make the change.

It would be soo much easier if we could just use the DWG to PDF. 

« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 01:51:19 PM by DIW_CADtech »

DIW_CADtech

• Bull Frog
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2014, 01:46:47 PM »
To John,

Our global practice uses PDF's, and since I don't have time to make a study to evaluate the translation issues revolving around the conversion from DWF to PDF, I'm going to say that's not an option.  Again, this is a situation where the municipality is makeing the determination which driver we have to use.  If we had a choice we would use the DWF to PDF driver.  They will recieve the CAD files as well, so they will know what we are using.  They need to be able to reproduce the PDF's in exactly the same whay we produce them.  They are not going to switch to DWF and convert to PDF.  I am well aware, that there is an option while publishing to go to DWF, but I'm not sure if your 3rd party translater will have additional issues with the clients printers.  This is not something I feel comfortable risking.  This is not the first time they have asked us to use the Adobe driver, and we don't want to strain the relationship by blatently disregarding their requirements.  They have not determined the Adobe settings that we "HAVE" to use.  I will try again to work the problem that way.

Rob...

• King Gator
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2014, 01:53:00 PM »
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply to use it as the client is requesting otherwise. I'm sure could have substituted Adobe, if I had used it before, as it is a robust PDF creator.

I don't know what you mean by "Standard" print settings unless you are referring to the page setup assigned to the layout.

Remember that using publisher you can import a page setup from any file without changing the one that is current in the .dwg.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 03:15:23 PM by RobDraw »
CAD Tech

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2014, 03:09:19 PM »
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that use it as the client is requesting otherwise. I'm sure could have substituted Adobe, if I had used it before, as it is a robust PDF creator.

I don't know what you mean by "Standard" print settings unless you are referring to the page setup assigned to the layout.

Remember that using publisher you can import a page setup from any file without changing the one that is current int the .dwg.

^ me too (mostly). -i.e. The Adobe driver has been notorious for leaving stuff out (like lines) since as long as I can remember.

This talk about client printers, client settings and what not makes me wonder if just using the clients pen table wouldnt be the easiest option (I don't fully understand that part of the problem). -i.e. a PDF made from XPS, DWF, PLT, whatever using their PENs would plot the same (pen weights are the things that fall outside the plotters capabilities).
TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)
Member location map - Add yourself

Donate to TheSwamp.org