Author Topic: Help Converting ArcGIS .GDB into .SHP in State Plane?  (Read 3903 times)

BlackBox

• King Gator
Help Converting ArcGIS .GDB into .SHP in State Plane?
« on: July 21, 2014, 09:15:54 AM »
I recently downloaded 5' contours from a county's GIS portal, but that's not quite precise enough... Did some searching and found where I could download some 2' contours for same, but in .GDB format which Civil 3D doesn't play nice with so far as I could find.

I downloaded a trial of ArcGIS Desktop 10.2, and have worked out how to load the .GDB, and export a .SHP, but it's not in the correct coordinate system (it doesn't line up with same county's aerials, nor the adjacent county's GIS line work).

I thought it was due to the source units being in Meters, and GCS_North_American_1983_HARN, so in ArcMap, Data Frame Properties, I've changed the General tab, Units to Feet, and Coordinate System tab, Transformations..., Converted from GCS_North_American_1983_HARN into GCS_NAD_1983_2011, using NAD_1983_HARN_To_NAD_1983_2011, and still no change in the location of the resultant .SHP file linework. Grrr.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
"How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: Help Converting ArcGIS .GDB into .SHP in State Plane?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 09:49:28 AM »
IF you import that data into ARCGIS using the proper projection (check the metadata)
Then you export to SHP file.

Your next step it to
A) open a NEW drawing in MAP (or Civil 3d)
b) set the C to match the ame as ArcGIS
C) Import the SHP File
D) Save the file

Then you have two options use MAP Export to send the SHP file out and convert the CS during export
OR
Open a NEW Drawing Set the Desired CS
Attach the file made in D above
Perform a Query (ALL) and the data will be converted to deired CS on the way in.

OR you could probably use QGIS to import the original data and export to the desired CS in one step.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 10:15:59 AM »
IF you import that data into ARCGIS using the proper projection (check the metadata)
Then you export to SHP file.

Your next step it to
A) open a NEW drawing in MAP (or Civil 3d)
b) set the C to match the ame as ArcGIS
C) Import the SHP File
D) Save the file

Then you have two options use MAP Export to send the SHP file out and convert the CS during export
OR
Open a NEW Drawing Set the Desired CS
Attach the file made in D above
Perform a Query (ALL) and the data will be converted to deired CS on the way in.

OR you could probably use QGIS to import the original data and export to the desired CS in one step.

I originally downloaded QGIS; perhaps I overlooked something, and the forums I read from QGIS staff said it doesn't open .GDB are incorrect?

ArcMap - I've translated the CS, it now shows as StatePlane in Properties, but the exported .SHP isn't in correct CS (with drawing in desired CS), hence this thread.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 10:19:08 AM by BlackBox »

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 10:51:27 AM »
Easier than I thought, actually -

I've been so spoiled to always receive .SHP in the correct coordinate system (CS), that I never needed to use the built-in Input Coordinate System column in the MAPIMPORT dialog.

• Open QNEW with the desired CS set current
  • Run MAPIMPORT Command, and specify source data CS in the Input Coordinate System column
  • Done

Cheers

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 11:05:54 AM »
happy to help....
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 11:06:53 AM »
happy to help....

Thank you, Michael, for the prompt response.

Cheers