Author Topic: Understanding Importing Styles and Settings  (Read 2635 times)

MSTG007

• Gator
  • I can't remeber what I already asked! I need help!
Understanding Importing Styles and Settings
« on: July 16, 2014, 05:43:24 PM »
I have created a master drawing with all my custom styles and custom settings. (Where you click the Settings Tab, the Right click at the top and click the drawing settings.) I went threw a bunch of defaults changing them to what I want. I saved it as a DWG. I then started a fresh ACAD Drawing. I saved the file and then Imported the Master in to the file. All of my styles came in perfect but all of my settings did not. Specially the settings under the commands part of each module. Am I doing something wrong? Do I just need to insert the Master into the fresh file?

Please let me know if I missed something. Thanks!
Civil3D 2020

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: Understanding Importing Styles and Settings
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 05:58:41 PM »
exactly backwards

IF the MASTER is the file whose settings and style is the one you want to impose on any other file.

Start new file from Master

Insert other file into this one
Import Layout Tabs using Deign Center

Save-As over the old file
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

MSTG007

• Gator
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 07:15:09 AM »
Ok. I think I might understand. A few examples. If I have a surface base.dwg with spot shots all over it (and its using old styles), (the file is also data referenced out). I would just use the insert command and the information would be in there. Lets say I have a pipe network base.dwg, with a drawing that contains profiles and proposed and old surfaces (that are data referenced in). I would use the insert command and be done?
Civil3D 2020

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 09:06:58 AM »
Correct, just keep in mind that with Autocad there is a Parent>Child relationship

whenever one inserts a dwg (block) into another file it becomes a Child of that file and inherits the properties to the Parent file.
As long as the style names are the same they should update to the new properties during the insert and no action is required on your part to update the objects using those styles.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

MSTG007

• Gator
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 11:00:43 AM »
Ok, I have tested it on the surface base. Everything works (2) audits later and I can not get rid of the name of the surface because it has a (1). I did purge out the old block. The pipe base, which has profiles with the surfaces. (4) audits later. Pipe network came in perfect. Surfaces names with (1). All the profiles are gone with alignments and pipes. thought I share where I am at with it.
Civil3D 2020

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 11:55:51 AM »
nut sure but you may want to re-establish your data shortcuts before the insert...or this could be the source of the (1) name issues
and the loss of your profiles...

In theory you should be able to use MANAGE Tab and insert styles and settings from your Master directly
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

MSTG007

• Gator
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 11:59:35 AM »
In theory you are right. I can import the styles in without a problem. Its the settings that do not seem like they want to be imported.
Civil3D 2020

MSTG007

• Gator
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2014, 12:13:43 PM »
Ok I have a question. If in Drawing 1 you change some of the Settings in the object Layers Tab. Save the file. Open a new drawings (Drawing 2). Save the drawing 2. Then MANAGE tab and select IMPORT. Select the Drawing 1. After import go look at the settings on the Object Layer Tab. Did you see anything change? I did not... It said it also imported 1100 settings. I do not see where those settings are and referring too.
Civil3D 2020