Author Topic: block created on layer 0, but "plot" turned off  (Read 1982 times)

GISDUDE

block created on layer 0, but "plot" turned off
« on: July 02, 2014, 10:53:41 AM »
I have 58 blocks that were created on layer 0. I have since moved them to another layer, but, NOW WHEN I TRY TO TURN THEM ON THE NEW LAYER, they stay on.

Is there a way to change this? Really weird.

Thanks

tedg

• Swamp Rat
Re: block created on layer 0, but "plot" turned off
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 11:26:00 AM »
Have you checked the block geometry to see if the linework that was created on layer zero is ByLayer or ByBlock?
Also, the layer(s) you're moving them to, have you checked to make sure they're not set to NoPlot?
Windows 10 Pro 64bit, AutoCAD 2023, REVIT 2023

cadtag

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 12:25:10 PM »
Block definitions and block instances are two different beasts.

Verify the definition by using BEDIT & checking that the entities composing the block definition are all on layer 0, and all color/lineweights'linetypes are set to ByBlock.

Then check the block instances, and verify that the property of each instance is on the desired layer.
The only thing more dangerous to the liberty of a free people than big government is big business

GISDUDE

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 03:14:26 PM »
How do you find "instances"? This block is the most unusual block. I have tried to explode and re-create a new block with a new title, but it STILL keeps the attributes on the ORIGINAL layer.
arrgh.....

cadtag

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 03:36:29 PM »
The inserted blocks are the instances --  there's only one block definition no matter how many times it's inserted, but there is an instance of the block for every insertion.  well, ignoring Annotative and Dynamic blocks that's true....

Attributes  are _attached_ to the block instance, but not really part of it.  that's why you can move/change properties of the attribute after the block is inserted.  The block definition holds the ATTDE (Attribute Definition) entities, but they are placed as Attributes when the block in inserted (instantiated)

clear as mud??

post your block, and someone can have a look at it and maybe explain what it's doing, or fix it so it does what you expect.
The only thing more dangerous to the liberty of a free people than big government is big business

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 03:57:10 PM »
How do you find "instances"? This block is the most unusual block. I have tried to explode and re-create a new block with a new title, but it STILL keeps the attributes on the ORIGINAL layer.
arrgh.....

sounds like the various pieces of geometry were created on specific layers and NOT on layer zero.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 04:18:09 PM »
And use attsync after you redefine the block.

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC