Author Topic: Text in Model Space or Paper Space?  (Read 9140 times)

CAB

• Global Moderator
  • Seagull
Re: Text in Model Space or Paper Space?
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2014, 09:25:43 AM »
Yes, that is the likely conclusion. The Layering I am use to.
Change Space is the ticket to PS text as I like to annotate in MS.

Next week I'll give it a real test on my project.

Thanks
I've reached the age where the happy hour is a nap. (°¿°)
Windows 10 core i7 4790k 4Ghz 32GB GTX 970
Please support this web site.

ChrisCarlson

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2014, 10:36:12 AM »
do the annotations in model space

then use change space to move them into paperspace it will scale them for you on the way through the viewport
to be the same size

Shouldn't this be the other way, eg annotate in PS then chspace to the desired VP?

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2014, 03:36:58 PM »
unlike me - it is Bi-directional so it doesn't really matter how one employs it.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Rob...

• King Gator
  • Take a little time to stop and smell the roses.
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2014, 04:29:55 PM »

then use change space to move them into paperspace it will scale them for you on the way through the viewport
to be the same size

Shouldn't this be the other way, eg annotate in PS then chspace to the desired VP?

He's got a point there. That way the viewport determines the model space text height for those not to scale viewports. Do one of each type of annotation in paper space, use CHSPACE, switch to model space, and then copy for additional items.

On a side note, all these different types of spaces makes me think of the parallel universe Star Trek episodes and movies.
CAD Tech

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2014, 05:32:58 PM »

to be the same size

He's got a point there. That way the viewport determines the model space text height for those not to scale viewports. Do one of each type of annotation in paper space, use CHSPACE, switch to model space, and then copy for additional items.

On a side note, all these different types of spaces makes me think of the parallel universe Star Trek episodes and movies.
unlike me - it is Bi-directional so it doesn't really matter how one employs it.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

CAB

• Global Moderator
  • Seagull
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2014, 05:48:01 PM »
OK ACAD 2006 does not have annotative text so I use CHSpace after sizing the Model space text.
Picking 0.8 as my target text height in PS I divided by the VP scale to get MS text height.
So made text in MS at that text height & then CHspace to put it in PS.
On this job the details did not appear in other places so only one set of text to deal with.

The only gotcha is that during this phase (90% complete) he picked a busy layout and said make this detail smaller and this one larger yada yada yada
So the text was the correct (all uniform in size, that's the rule) just had to reposition to fit the resized detail.
If in MS I would have to resize all the text & arrow heads to match the new VP scale.

Conclusion is that for this particular client annotative text would be a plus.
This is the only client I have with these requirements.

Thanks for all the comments.

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2014, 06:16:27 PM »
I think in 2006 will work and maybe only for dimensions maybe for mleaders if 2006 has them, but DIMASSOC 2 will move with model in paperspace, and also maybe for  dimensions adding through viewport in paperspace will automagiclly scale for you.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2014, 06:52:56 PM »
In summary the TOOL is the solution that he needed, irrespective of how one applies that particular TOOL.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Rob...

• King Gator
  • Take a little time to stop and smell the roses.
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2014, 07:04:58 PM »
Brilliant!!!
CAD Tech

hermanm

« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2014, 12:08:26 AM »
A little late to the party, but perhaps this:

http://www.tktn.com/utilities/rescale.lsp

would help.

CAB

• Global Moderator
  • Seagull
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2014, 09:17:12 AM »
Interesting, I'll try it out but today is too busy with work.

DIW_CADtech

• Bull Frog
  • Push limits, embrace success, & discard failure.
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2014, 02:27:09 PM »
I work with a municipality that wants EVERYTHING but their titleblock and documentation stamps in Model Space. this is very problematic while designing.  So tipically I do all my anotation in PSPACE making sure that all the annotaions are NOT ANNOTATIVE.  They do not allow for XREF's, so XREFS are already embedded/biinded just prior to this opperation so no annotation creeps into other DWGs. Then , I go through the drawings and push all annotations from PS to model space via CHSPACE.  This makes them happy. 

I find when I use annotative text, my DWG sizes start to explode because of all the different annotative scales.  It can easilly get out of control, if your not used to it.  If your doing 100 DWGs or less.. the above method isn't bad.   If your doing 100's of drawings, take some time to learn how to efficiently use the annotative TEXT, DIMS, and Leaders.  Then you don't have to go back.  And it's very easy in your referenced drawings to just freeze the annotation layer of your xrefs in your viewports. Once done.. it's no longer an issue.

I am very  trainable....   (forgive my spelling)

CAB

• Global Moderator
  • Seagull
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2014, 10:37:22 PM »
A little late to the party, but perhaps this:

http://www.tktn.com/utilities/rescale.lsp

would help.
Herman that does a splendid job. Well done and over a decade ago.  8)
We now have access to CustomScale value via vlisp so [desired PS size] / [CustomScale] = MS text size needed.
I'll likely use some of your code in my automation routine when I add that to my Text Tool Lisp.
I will have to update Leaders & Dims too to match the text.

Thanks for you input.

CAB

• Global Moderator
  • Seagull
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2014, 10:41:40 PM »
I work with a municipality that wants EVERYTHING but their titleblock and documentation stamps in Model Space. this is very problematic while designing.  So tipically I do all my anotation in PSPACE making sure that all the annotaions are NOT ANNOTATIVE.  They do not allow for XREF's, so XREFS are already embedded/biinded just prior to this opperation so no annotation creeps into other DWGs. Then , I go through the drawings and push all annotations from PS to model space via CHSPACE.  This makes them happy. 

I find when I use annotative text, my DWG sizes start to explode because of all the different annotative scales.  It can easilly get out of control, if your not used to it.  If your doing 100 DWGs or less.. the above method isn't bad.   If your doing 100's of drawings, take some time to learn how to efficiently use the annotative TEXT, DIMS, and Leaders.  Then you don't have to go back.  And it's very easy in your referenced drawings to just freeze the annotation layer of your xrefs in your viewports. Once done.. it's no longer an issue.

I have no annotative in 2006 but may upgrade to a newer version before too long.

The CHSPACE works well when I need to reuse a detail in another layout and the scale is not the same.
I see that annotative was made for just such a situation.

hermanm

« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2014, 01:12:41 PM »
@ CAB

Glad to help.

More similar code here:

http://www.tktn.com/utilities/tkutil.htm

rescalb.lsp
ldrupd.lsp
ntext.lsp

may be of interest (use as is, or use as inspiration for your own work)
Yes, it is all "old code," dating from the days of DOS ACAD.

As Luis would say, "Have fun." :)