Author Topic: Drawing Management  (Read 6719 times)

Rob...

• King Gator
  • Take a little time to stop and smell the roses.
Drawing Management
« on: May 16, 2014, 09:06:10 AM »
It has been determined that our file naming convention was outdated. An example file name used to be M-FL01-PIPE or E-FL02-POWR-SLVS. I liked it. Found it simple and straight forward as long as you know most of the descriptors. We are now replacing the trade letter (first character in the string) with the sheet number. This was done so that non-regular AutoCAD users could easily find the file for printing. The sheet numbering convention is determined by what the architect is using so it varies from project to project.

On the surface this seems to be not so bad, but it has it's own set of problems which affect the regular users, i.e. having to manually rename multiple files when changing sheet numbers. Most of the CAD committee do not have a problem with this and don't see a problem with having to manually repath XREFs as a result. I have a huge problem with this. For one, I am not perfect and almost always have to change sheet numbers as I am setting up a project. Never mind the changes that can happen as a project progresses. I think that many people are going to not change file names for sheet number changes because of all the extra steps involved. Management does not seem to be concerned about the wasted time this is creating because we all have to do things that in a way not agree with.

I am looking for anything that will automate this process. I thought SSM could handle this but one of the first things mentioned in Autodesk's guidelines is to eliminate multiple layouts in the .dwgs. Almost every project file has multiple layout tabs so that rules out SSM, maybe. Our CAD manager says that 90% of consulting companies use the sheet number in their file names.

Can some of you share your workflow and file management experiences and possible automated management systems with this type file naming system?
CAD Tech

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: Drawing Management
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 10:14:21 AM »
actually you do NOT need to eliminate multiple layouts in drawings.....autodesk lies

Further IF you used sheet manager NO Renaming to make it easy to open files would need to happen at all
as the sheets would be opened with the Sheet Set interface

At this point I say HALT

STOP

CEASE and DESIST
with any file renaming exercise!
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Rob...

• King Gator
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 10:29:00 AM »
STOP

CEASE and DESIST

This is not an option. I thought I made that clear. From what you said SSM, is definitely not an option either.

How about alternative solutions?
CAD Tech

Greg B

• Seagull
  • Tell me a Joke!
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 10:31:15 AM »
Grandfather in all old drawings and start the new name convention only with new jobs.

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 10:32:26 AM »
So you're going from multiple tabbed drawings to a drawing per layout? If so ... shudder.

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

Rob...

• King Gator
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 10:42:31 AM »
Just moving forward with the new naming convention. Not going from multi-tabs to single. I only brought up SSM as a possible solution as I have not used it before.

To summarize: I need some way to automate renaming files and/or XREF pathing when a sheet number changes. As of now, everything will be done manually and I am not liking it. Everyone else is fine with it but have not used it in a live project, yet.
CAD Tech

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2014, 11:04:19 AM »
STOP

CEASE and DESIST

This is not an option. I thought I made that clear. From what you said SSM, is definitely not an option either.

How about alternative solutions?
I think you misunderstood something.
What did I say that makse SSM a NON option?
It solves a problem you are about to create in an attempt to solve a problem that IMO doesn't exist...and you share that opinion.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2014, 11:05:22 AM »
Just moving forward with the new naming convention. Not going from multi-tabs to single. I only brought up SSM as a possible solution as I have not used it before.

To summarize: I need some way to automate renaming files and/or XREF pathing when a sheet number changes. As of now, everything will be done manually and I am not liking it. Everyone else is fine with it but have not used it in a live project, yet.

with SSM and fields an ENTIRE set can be renamed and or renumbered in a matter of minutes
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Rob...

• King Gator
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2014, 11:12:52 AM »
Does that include renaming the files and repathing the XREFs?

You said stop file renaming. Unless things change, that is not an option. It does not make sense to me that this change is happening because of the less fortunate that cannot figure out what file a sheet is in. Right now it is a big thorn in my side but for now I would like to here from that 90%, that my CAD manager is referring to, that use the sheet number(s) in their file naming and how they handle changes.
CAD Tech

ROBBO

• Bull Frog
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2014, 11:19:26 AM »
I agree with mjfarrell. SSM is the way to go. Data can be linked and is easy to manage and even create drawing a list table automatically.

Nevertheless I find these free apps very useful and may help with batch renaming and re-path your Xrefs:

http://apps.exchange.autodesk.com/ACD/en/Detail/Index?id=appstore.exchange.autodesk.com%3abatch-in-database%3aen

http://apps.exchange.autodesk.com/ACD/en/Detail/Index?id=appstore.exchange.autodesk.com%3abatch-in-editorv10%3aen

Edited: BiE Help Document in pdf attached for reference.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 11:51:34 AM by ROBBO »
The only thing to do with good advice is to pass it on.
It is never of any use to oneself.

Oscar Wilde
(1854-1900, Irish playwright, poet and writer)

Rob...

• King Gator
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2014, 11:28:47 AM »
Thank you for that, ROBBO! I'm surprised no one around here is aware of these tools, me being one of them. I could be saving a bunch of time with these, as we speak.
CAD Tech

tedg

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2014, 12:26:09 PM »

Just curous, why do you need to rename or repath xrefs?
If I read your first post right, common folk are wanting to be able to find and open up drawings based on thier sheet numbering convention. And so to me that is only the sheet files, not xrefs. If they need to open the xrefs too, they can use XOPEN when in the sheet files.

Put me down for SSM too.
Windows 10 Pro 64bit, AutoCAD 2023, REVIT 2023

Rob...

• King Gator
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2014, 01:07:48 PM »
ATM we are not using sheet files. I've had projects where I had to use them and wouldn't mind going that route.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 01:26:40 PM by RobDraw »
CAD Tech

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2014, 01:16:50 PM »
ATM we are not using sheet files. I've had projects where I had to use them and wouldn't mind going that route.

Mr. Farrell, you do not know the entire situation. Please refrain from jumping to such conclusions before this all shakes out. He is not the one creating the situation and is very willing to find a more streamlined methodology that will make us all happy.

OK, until it all finishes I will retract and withhold commentary.

However if the whole endeavour is to make it easier for casual users SSM is the way to go without the overhead of renaming and repathing anything,
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Greg B

• Seagull
  • Tell me a Joke!
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2014, 01:34:44 PM »
Just curous, why do you need to rename or repath xrefs?
If I read your first post right, common folk are wanting to be able to find and open up drawings based on thier sheet numbering convention. And so to me that is only the sheet files, not xrefs. If they need to open the xrefs too, they can use XOPEN when in the sheet files.

Put me down for SSM too.

Thank you!  I was going to say something about this as well, but as many know, I've been out AutoCAD and the industry for a LONG time and didn't feel comfortable bringing this up.