Author Topic: Registry apps  (Read 3753 times)

Nardino

• Newt
Registry apps
« on: April 22, 2014, 03:07:20 PM »
Hello to all,
A while back with your help i managed to delete the extra registry apps that were attached to the drawings. Unfortunately i am having sort of the same problem again............it seams that as i save a drawing, many of this registry apps attach to the drawings.....i dont even know what these apps are or how they attach to the files.
Having said this, is there a way to prevent thes apps to attach?
thanks...Nardino

cadtag

• Swamp Rat
Re: Registry apps
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 03:24:44 PM »
Regapps-- 'registered apps, as opposed to registry apps.

AFAIK -- they are created when something in the drawing or the installed cad software calls for them.  to not create them, don't use CAD.

not helpful, right?  but they are only occasionally a problem (when thousands get created).  while it's not a problem to clean them out with -Purge R, it's not something that you can prevent from being created.
The only thing more dangerous to the liberty of a free people than big government is big business

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 03:38:01 PM »
use -purge Regapps to remove them. I don't know of away to prevent them.
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

Nardino

• Newt
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 03:38:26 PM »
i like the first choice....do not use cad.   :lmao:
anyway thanks for the info

ronjonp

• Needs a day job

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 03:55:55 PM »
... morbidly bloated with zombies and regapp entries likely introduced by an audit ...

You don't need anything but to wblock the drawings out using the * option when prompted for <define new drawing>.
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 01:12:50 PM »
FWIW -

I developed this, to clean up unused RegApps at drawing open, and Save* automagically, which is measurably faster than using LISP to call -PURGE Command, no need to modify AcadDoc.lsp, etc.

Cheers
"How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 05:55:13 AM »
This is probably a silly question, but forgive my ignorance on this...

Would deleting the RegApps cause any problems/stability issues with the drawing file?
Thanks for explaining the word "many" to me, it means a lot.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2014, 07:45:17 AM »
shouldn't
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2014, 08:27:23 AM »

Would deleting the RegApps cause any problems/stability issues with the drawing file?

Building on Michael's post if I may....

Registered Applications (RegApps) are required for adding Extended Entity Data (XDATA) to drawing objects. Many can be added each time you open a given drawing, particularly for verticals such as Civil 3D, in preparation of adding XDATA at some point while editing said drawing.

If in use, meaning XDATA has been added to one or more drawing objects referencing a RegApp, then it is unable to be purged from the drawing. However, to site RonJon's linked reference above....

When you delete an object with Extended Entity Data (xdata), a regapp ID remains in the application ID (APPID) symbol table. When a file contains excess unreferenced regapp IDs, performance and file size may be negatively affected.

Given that RegApps can be added in preparation of being needed, regardless of their actually being used, and also remain even after all drawing objects that reference same are deleted from drawing, one can easily suffer the negative performance, and drawing bloat if not specifically purged (given that RegApps are not included in they typical calls to 'purge all', or dialog, etc.).

Calling (command "._-purge" "_r" "*" "n") within your AcadDoc.lsp file is a great start, but only accounts for those unreferenced RegApps that exist at drawing open, and since commands cannot be called from within Visual LISP reactors, one is then relegated to other means of performing same prior to SAVE* (i.e., redefining SAVE* Commands, using a macro to first purge RegApps, then Save, etc.), which can be cumbersome.

Programmatically iterating the RegisteredApplications Collection via LISP is significantly slower than calling -PURGE Command, but does make it possible to do from within a reactor.

For these reasons I developed the app linked above specifically to remove the burden of user having to do any of this, so that keeping this aspect of one's drawing(s) 'clean' was essentially plug & play... The .NET API is measurably faster than both iterating via LISP, and -PURGE Command call, and so seemed like a win-win to my mind.

Hope this makes (more?) sense. :geek:

Cheers

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2014, 08:43:24 AM »

Building on Michael's post if I may....
Please and thanks :)
Registered Applications (RegApps) are required for adding Extended Entity Data (XDATA) to drawing objects. Many can be added each time you open a given drawing, particularly for verticals such as Civil 3D, in preparation of adding XDATA at some point while editing said drawing.

If in use, meaning XDATA has been added to one or more drawing objects referencing a RegApp, then it is unable to be purged from the drawing. However, to site RonJon's linked reference above....

When you delete an object with Extended Entity Data (xdata), a regapp ID remains in the application ID (APPID) symbol table. When a file contains excess unreferenced regapp IDs, performance and file size may be negatively affected.

Given that RegApps can be added in preparation of being needed, regardless of their actually being used, and also remain even after all drawing objects that reference same are deleted from drawing, one can easily suffer the negative performance, and drawing bloat if not specifically purged (given that RegApps are not included in they typical calls to 'purge all', or dialog, etc.).

Calling (command "._-purge" "_r" "*" "n") within your AcadDoc.lsp file is a great start, but only accounts for those unreferenced RegApps that exist at drawing open, and since commands cannot be called from within Visual LISP reactors, one is then relegated to other means of performing same prior to SAVE* (i.e., redefining SAVE* Commands, using a macro to first purge RegApps, then Save, etc.), which can be cumbersome.

Programmatically iterating the RegisteredApplications Collection via LISP is significantly slower than calling -PURGE Command, but does make it possible to do from within a reactor.

For these reasons I developed the app linked above specifically to remove the burden of user having to do any of this, so that keeping this aspect of one's drawing(s) 'clean' was essentially plug & play... The .NET API is measurably faster than both iterating via LISP, and -PURGE Command call, and so seemed like a win-win to my mind.

Hope this makes (more?) sense. :geek:

Cheers
Thanks for taking the time to explain that to me. Much appreciated.
Thanks for explaining the word "many" to me, it means a lot.

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2014, 08:45:01 AM »
Thanks for taking the time to explain that to me. Much appreciated.

You're very welcome, jonesy.  :-)

Nardino

• Newt
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2014, 11:36:42 AM »
Thanks again to everyone. It has been veru informative. Nardino