Author Topic: Civil 3D | Undo Limitations  (Read 9287 times)

BlackBox

• King Gator
Civil 3D | Undo Limitations
« on: April 15, 2014, 03:34:07 PM »
I have plenty of disk space as discussed in another thread, yet am repeatedly prompted by the 'max undo' message while modeling a moderately complex corridor.  :|

Is there any way to increase this allocation, so that I am no longer prompted (or perhaps even prompted less often), without disabling undo, etc.?

TIA
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 04:39:07 PM by BlackBox »
"How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: Civil 3D | Undo Limitations
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 05:00:49 PM »
what is your setting for ISAVEPERCENT?
and or UNDOCTL?

I have literally never encountered this issue myself.
However a anther guy I am working with did last month.

Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 05:52:02 PM »
what is your setting for ISAVEPERCENT?
and or UNDOCTL?

ISAVEPERCENT == 0

UNDOCTL == 61 (Default)

I have literally never encountered this issue myself.
However a anther guy I am working with did last month.

... Nor had I (using Civil 3D 2011 & 2012), until I started using Civil 3D 2014.

alanjt

• Needs a day job
  • Standby for witty remark...
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 03:14:53 PM »
Back in v2009, we kept getting weird undo errors. I started cleaning our temp folders of all the old undo/redo files. You can try this...

Code: [Select]
(defun c:CleanTemp nil
  ;; delete all UND* and RED* temp files
  (foreach x (vl-directory-files (getvar 'tempprefix))
    (if (wcmatch (strcase x) "UND*,RED*")
        (vl-catch-all-apply 'vl-file-delete (list (strcat (getvar 'tempprefix) x)))
    )
  )
  (princ)
)
Civil 3D 2019 ~ Windohz 7 64bit
Dropbox

alanjt

• Needs a day job
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 03:16:34 PM »
Actually, I did have a user complain about an undo error, but he encountered it several times before I came on. I told him to run the above command and he's never complained about the undo issue again.
Dropbox

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 03:22:58 PM »
I still find it strange that I've never experienced this issue with Civil 3D 2011, or 2012 :|... I'll plug that into AcadDoc.lsp and see if that doesn't help.

Thank you, kind Sir.  :angel:

cadtag

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 03:26:19 PM »
does this seem to be drawing specific?  I've work on some jobs where this was a constant  problem, but as I recall, it was limited to only some jobs/drawings/attached xrefs or drefs
The only thing more dangerous to the liberty of a free people than big government is big business

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 03:43:26 PM »
does this seem to be drawing specific?  I've work on some jobs where this was a constant  problem, but as I recall, it was limited to only some jobs/drawings/attached xrefs or drefs

Admittedly, this is only happening in a drawing that contains only the needed data to create a moderately complex, proposed roadway corridor.

That said, this model does contain more than others that I've done, as this was a vanilla AutoCAD drawing, drawn using Land Desktop 2005, and has no LDT database to import... Instead I've had to manually recreate each-and-every-single Alignment, Profile, Profile View, Assembly, etc. so that I can model the multiple roundabouts, and handful of intersections, before I even get to the grading of ponds, etc. for this adjoining proposed subdivision.

I've only been here a little more than 60 days, but so far most of my work in similar... It's one of the reasons the owners hired me, as their existing staff have IDS 2014 installed, and have been sent out for 3 days training, but don't use it (still using LDT 2005)... Hand drawing vertical profiles, scaling title blocks in paper space so that the viewport scale is 1:1, all sorts of nonsense.

The new server I'm ordering today, will present the opportunity for me to take LDT offline in short order, as I shall not be migrating the license(s) on the server, and all of our IDS 2014 installations are on each user's computer... All IDS 2014 licenses were installed prior to my being hired on, with exception of two, so I'm not really sure if I can/should change that then as well?

alanjt

• Needs a day job
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2014, 05:05:08 PM »
I still find it strange that I've never experienced this issue with Civil 3D 2011, or 2012 :|... I'll plug that into AcadDoc.lsp and see if that doesn't help.

No problem. I just hope it helps. I'm quite sure that was the error he was receiving.
Dropbox

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 01:33:51 PM »

No problem. I just hope it helps. I'm quite sure that was the error he was receiving.

FWIW - I am still experiencing the undo message in that same model... The drawing file size is now more than 70MB, and I've only finished modeling the roadway corridor to the ROW. Now I'm starting to create the Feature lines, and grading to complete the lots, ponds, etc. :|

[vent]

I haven't worked on anything else really, as this particular project is a bleeping bleepety bleep bleep bleepety bleep mess.  :realmad:

I cannot even use their linework to create the necessary C3D components without corrective steps... A few here or there is one thing... Lot lines do not properly intersect, edge of pavement in a roundabout that is called out as a specific radius in the plans, isn't and overlaps the outer circle of my corridor region that represents the interior & travel lane of my roundabout (so now my curb return and roundabout regions overlap instead of meet at the outer alignment).

Elevation labels are... Wait for it... Attribute Definitions, where they changed the TagString to be the elevation value, surrounded by a rectangle, sometimes accompanied by a line, and located inconsistently adjacent a hatched circle... That is inconsistently located 'somewhere' near the actual point of elevation.

Further, not all of the elevation labels are even in model space... Some are located in paper space layout, where the title block has been scale up such that the 1:50 scale D-size sheet has a viewport scale of 1:1, but only these four lots are labeled in paper space; the other 15 lot labels for the same sheet are in model space on the same layer, so I cannot even effectively XREF (once I programmatically change all of the ATTDEF to TEXT).

I had no idea this project was going to be SO much of a cluster bleepety bleep; I can honestly say that this 20 year veteran's CAD is the utter, and absolute worst I have ever seen in my limited experience... I am not looking forward to the uphill battle that awaits, in order to teach them how to properly use Civil 3D.  :lol:

[/vent]

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2014, 02:27:27 PM »

FWIW - I am still experiencing the undo message in that same model... The drawing file size is now more than 70MB, and I've only finished modeling the roadway corridor to the ROW. Now I'm starting to create the Feature lines, and grading to complete the lots, ponds, etc. :|

[vent]

I haven't worked on anything else really, as this particular project is a bleeping bleepety bleep bleep bleepety bleep mess.  :realmad:

I cannot even use their linework to create the necessary C3D components without corrective steps... A few here or there is one thing... Lot lines do not properly intersect, edge of pavement in a roundabout that is called out as a specific radius in the plans, isn't and overlaps the outer circle of my corridor region that represents the interior & travel lane of my roundabout (so now my curb return and roundabout regions overlap instead of meet at the outer alignment).

Elevation labels are... Wait for it... Attribute Definitions, where they changed the TagString to be the elevation value, surrounded by a rectangle, sometimes accompanied by a line, and located inconsistently adjacent a hatched circle... That is inconsistently located 'somewhere' near the actual point of elevation.

Further, not all of the elevation labels are even in model space... Some are located in paper space layout, where the title block has been scale up such that the 1:50 scale D-size sheet has a viewport scale of 1:1, but only these four lots are labeled in paper space; the other 15 lot labels for the same sheet are in model space on the same layer, so I cannot even effectively XREF (once I programmatically change all of the ATTDEF to TEXT).

I had no idea this project was going to be SO much of a cluster bleepety bleep; I can honestly say that this 20 year veteran's CAD is the utter, and absolute worst I have ever seen in my limited experience... I am not looking forward to the uphill battle that awaits, in order to teach them how to properly use Civil 3D.  :lol:

[/vent]

And the worst part of that battle, they may resent you for trying to change the way they do things
no matter how bassackwards it really is 'to you'.
This would be a good time to call in an outside training resource, and look like the good guy.
Or tell them they are doing it wrong and be labelled the bad guy.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

alanjt

• Needs a day job
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2014, 02:33:34 PM »

[vent]

[/vent]

And the worst part of that battle, they may resent you for trying to change the way they do things
This would be a good time to call in an outside training resource, and look like the good guy.
I completely agree with Michael on the training. Even if it's only for a day, it reinforces your arguments.
Dropbox

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2014, 03:34:32 PM »

I completely agree with Michael on the training. Even if it's only for a day, it reinforces your arguments.

FWIW -

That multi-day paid external training event has already come and gone prior to my arrival.

I was recruited by the owner's favorite designer (whom I briefly worked with at another company), as a direct result of their choosing to not use the skills they learned, and instead continue to use Land Desktop 2004 as vanilla AutoCAD (i.e., no vertical profiles, no surfaces, all hand drawn profiles, etc.).

The owner wasn't particularly interested in retaining this person before I was brought on... I'm happy to help those willing to learn, and will even learn some in the process; it's ultimately their rope.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2014, 04:16:11 PM »
sounds to me that the training was poor, if they didn't get the incentive to utilize the skills
the training should have imparted to them.

sometimes I function as much "coach" as educator
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

alanjt

• Needs a day job
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2014, 04:23:23 PM »
sounds to me that the training was poor, if they didn't get the incentive to utilize the skills
the training should have imparted to them.

sometimes I function as much "coach" as educator
Likely just a bunch of OTB training.  :-(
Dropbox