Author Topic: Autocad / Autocad LT  (Read 2441 times)

JNieman

• Water Moccasin
Autocad / Autocad LT
« on: April 07, 2014, 01:18:57 PM »
Ok, so I use Autocad for whipping up quick 2d drawings, or for re-organizing PDFs of many details into sub-drawings with individual title blocks for shop use.

I find that when I'm whipping around in Autocad LT (2014) I hit "CTRL+S" to save, often, and it seems like 3/4 of the time, I get something like the following, which is a PITA.  I can hit CTRL+SHIFT+S and quickly save-as, in the regular directory each time.

This is something I /never/ ran into before in Autocad, nor verticals.  Is this something new, some setting I'm ignorant of, or something going on with slow read/write to the server or something?

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
Re: Autocad / Autocad LT
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 01:29:58 PM »
Just a shot in the dark but... is the DWG read-only?  I'm guessing probably not.
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io

cadtag

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 02:02:04 PM »
Usually when i see that message, the server is getting low on free space.  Fix so far has been to archive off non-critical information.
The only thing more dangerous to the liberty of a free people than big government is big business

JNieman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 02:39:19 PM »
Just a shot in the dark but... is the DWG read-only?  I'm guessing probably not.
neigh

Usually when i see that message, the server is getting low on free space.  Fix so far has been to archive off non-critical information.
I was assuming it was something hardware-caused on the server side.  Server is showing 212GB free of 799GB.  Our IT guy is swamped with much more pressing matters, and I have more important thing I'm waiting on him for, so I'm not going to bother him with this one, as it's at-worst a nuisance.  Might have to google around and see if anyone else nailed down the few likely culprits of this error.

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 04:32:05 PM »
You don't mention the workstation OS or the server OS, so I'll just throw this out and maybe it will help you.

Recently after Server 2008 and Win 7 was updated, our users began experiencing issues with files not showing up in the network folders and/or not being able to save, edit, rename, or move the files on which they have full permissions.

We believe that during the update something broke with the server cache. Win 7 out of the box is supposed to refresh the cached file information every 10 seconds, however, it has been taking as long as 2 hours in some cases. Logging off the workstation clears the local cache and it is rebuilt when the user logs back on.

To resolve the issue for our users, we added a few registry keys and had the users reboot their workstation. It has resolved the problem for us.

The following registry settings effectively tell Win7 to not cache the file and permission info. As a result the files and permissions are updated the same as if the user were working with a local resource.

Code: [Select]
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters]
"DirectoryCacheLifetime"=dword:00000000
"DontRefresh"=dword:00000000
"FileInfoCacheLifetime"=dword:00000000
"FileNotFoundCacheLifetime"=dword:00000000

Copy the above to a .reg file, merge, then reboot.
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 05:15:51 PM »
We get that same message when server lagging or people moving lots of files around at the same time.

JNieman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 06:19:25 PM »
We get that same message when server lagging or people moving lots of files around at the same time.
That sounds plausible for us.