Author Topic: AutoCAD 2015 Menu Bar aka Classic Mode  (Read 16703 times)

ChrisCarlson

Re: AutoCAD 2015 Menu Bar aka Classic Mode
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2014, 01:22:19 PM »
I want to switch from a 1500 x 1500 array of blocks with 24" spacing to a 1500 x 1500 array with 18" spacing, how do you do that with command line and without deleting and recreating the array? With the ribbon I only need to select the array and modify my column / row spacing

easy -- all one needs to do is memorize all 15 gazillion commands, modifiers, and setvars and dimvars, and type really fast.

I have better things I could memorize before all that.

Yes, you can modify the example with other methods but with a ribbon (property is essentially the same just a little handicapped) the required fields automatically appear and editing is a breeze. To each their own, to an extent, I suppose.

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2014, 01:41:26 PM »
To each their own, to an extent, I suppose.

Exactly.  So I do not push it too much with my opinions.  Just once in while to stir the pot.

Where I work I have 3 out 4 users (not counting myself in the mix) insist on not using Autocad Architectural because they do not like the ribbon and insist on not using it.  So they end up losing out on the all the Detail Component Tools and Blocks that comes with ACA and are forced to draw individual lines and follow with a separate hatching or modifying commands.   :ugly: :ugly: 
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2014, 03:38:31 PM »
Notice he didn't not refute that the  GRIP edit method as more efficient than even the ribbon..... :evil:
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2014, 04:06:24 PM »
Notice he didn't not refute that the  GRIP edit method as more efficient than even the ribbon..... :evil:
I looovvveee the GRIP edit method.   :-D

ChrisCarlson

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2014, 08:03:57 AM »
I have yet to be able to master the grip method. If I array a block it seems my distance grip is located somewhere in between the base block and the first column / row block, rendering the distance grip useless.

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2014, 08:19:17 AM »

Although if you rely on Classic Mode I would seriously consider updating the antiquated system, the benefits to the ribbon far out weigh the cons  :pissed:
Show me! Where do i start learning? < .. >

Looks like this got lost in the scuffle.
I don't have AC2015 yet Mark, So I can't help.

In other news, At least AutoCAD has several ways to do each thing usually.  That's a good thing, right ?
kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2014, 08:41:25 AM »
In other news, At least AutoCAD has several ways to do each thing usually.  That's a good thing, right ?
Indeed it is. :)

I don't have AC2015 yet Mark, So I can't help.
Nor do I. I don't have AC2014 either. I am still using Windows XP! LOL
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

ChrisCarlson

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2014, 09:49:32 AM »
Getting a little off tangent, I will say the new subscription only model will upset a few companies. The struggle I went through to convert this company from out-right purchase to "leasing" was an up-hill battle the entire way. I see a lot of companies who consider AutoCAD a capital expense and expect to get a few years out of each version.

RC

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2014, 09:37:38 PM »
Mr. Carlson, please dont confuse features with interface.  The ribbon is merely an interface access to features, as has been posted there are many methods to access these features.  Personally I' rther hve the screen real estate than the ribbon open, but then again I take the time to heavily customize the keyboard interface to accomplish ALL the neccessary access to every needed feature.

ChrisCarlson

« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2014, 07:50:32 AM »
A screen real estate problem is solved with a larger monitor, it's not 2003, a 17" monitor is not adequate.

RC

« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2014, 01:48:56 PM »
Mr Carlson,
Even with my dual** 27's I want more modeling area than interface area.  The size of the monitor is meaningless, rgardless of its size I want the MOST modeling area possible.  The LESS the interface interferes with modeling the faster/better/more efficient is the production.  Ribbons are collapsed and out of the way, certain necessary palletes like properties, layers, xref, and design center are relegated to the left monitor.  Right monitor is nearly all modeling area usually divided into three viewports; two small ones on the left and a large viewport for primary modeling.  The interface is heavily customized keyboard entry with a very few pull-downs or pop-ups.  That is most efficient FOR ME and the production capabilities I need.

** Now that AutCAD has begun to look like Microstation with a multiplicity of 'palettes', a second monitor to contain those is useful.  I can be just as productive without that second monitor, but others hamstrung by the plethora of screen eating interface 'junk' need the second monitor in which to model.  a grudging acquiescence

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2014, 02:14:44 PM »
I miss my 3 monitors.   :cry: :cry:

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2014, 02:18:28 PM »
I agree I have a small 15.1 screen on my laptop, and I'm probably more productive the way I manage toolbars, etc
than most with two large monitors and running around looking for dialogue boxes
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

cadtag

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2014, 02:51:01 PM »
A screen real estate problem is solved with a larger monitor, it's not 2003, a 17" monitor is not adequate.

for some of us, the larger monitors merely compensate for loss of visual acuity.  It's not 1993, and I'm not 33 years old.
The only thing more dangerous to the liberty of a free people than big government is big business