Author Topic: AutoCAD 2015 Menu Bar aka Classic Mode  (Read 16697 times)

ChrisCarlson

AutoCAD 2015 Menu Bar aka Classic Mode
« on: March 28, 2014, 03:59:12 PM »
Since I'm certain this will be searched with AutoCAD 2015 attempting to purge "Classic Mode" without much warning or headsup

---
"menubar" - "1"

Save workspace

---

Will bring back custom loaded menu bars

Although if you rely on Classic Mode I would seriously consider updating the antiquated system, the benefits to the ribbon far out weigh the cons  :pissed:

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: AutoCAD 2015 Menu Bar aka Classic Mode
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 04:16:15 PM »
not really; as not ALL menu bar items are actually on all the ribbons

there are a few commands here and there that have been left out for some reason

and yes I know one can add them to the ribbon and move on - however autodesk
should not be in the business of telling people how they should use their software
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

ChrisCarlson

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 04:30:48 PM »
I "think" all menu commands have a ribbon version but not all of them are set to show by default.

It is in their right to force upgrade people. We are lazy, we'll set something up once and use it for life even if a better, more efficient way comes around. The only way to make people change is to coerce them. 2016 will be a different story when a new file format comes out (if they stick to their normal schedule).

At the end of the day AutoDesk is a company and if the market speaks by moving to another company, AutoDesk will change. However the people (including me) who have converted to an all ribbon environment have seen drawing times reduce. 

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 10:21:39 AM »
As users we aren't in charge of product development.  We don't control what does or doesn't get put in the program.  We are only in charge of determining if what the program does meets our needs.  We can only hope that if the program goes too far out of the way the market would push development back in the other direction.
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

cadtag

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 10:40:38 AM »
Of course, as 'users', we're not 'customers' either.  While a certain percentage (damifino what that number is though) of users are actual customers making buy/no buy decisions, they are small potatoes, and have a very limited 'voice'.  (Even if there are a lot, they each speak for only a small number of licenses each)

Large purchase and subscription decisions are invariably made by non-users - CIO, CEO, CFO, etc.  They are Autodesk's primary customers, and problems, glitches, weaknesses, strengths, benefits, advantages, etc are pretty much irrelevant to the deal makers.

disclaimer -- i'm both a user and a customer - but my single commercial license of ACAD software does not give me a voice that Carl Bass will ever hear.

Now, if Black & Veatch, CH2MHill, and a half dozen of other multi-thousand seat firms canned their subscription and switched to BricsCAD -- that CB would hear.
The only thing more dangerous to the liberty of a free people than big government is big business

snownut2

• Swamp Rat
  • Bricscad 22 Ultimate
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 04:35:54 PM »
Chris, you did make one very correct statement (or at least partially) Autodesk is a publicly owned company traded on the stock exchange, as such their number one goal is to meet sales projections and profit margins.  They have been very clever at breaking up their product into many pieces to drive sales and therefore profits.  They are just as clever at convincing users (not customers) that the ribbon menu is the only way to go to again drive more sales and profits.  They are probably in development right now for a ribbon replacement to drive the next couple years of sales and again profits.

They have always been updating their dwg format to make downward compatibility an issue, they include just enough new content in each release to entice customers to keep the subscription up to date.  Hell I used to be pretty quick with the digitizer menu system, could run it just ABOUT BLINDFOLDED....

My rant for the day.

PS, I personally own 2-seats of Autocad customer & user, my vote is lost also...

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 08:44:53 AM »
Although if you rely on Classic Mode I would seriously consider updating the antiquated system, the benefits to the ribbon far out weigh the cons  :pissed:
Show me! Where do i start learning? I've tried using the ribbon for a week, i could see no improvement over my simple custom menu.
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2014, 08:58:58 AM »
Really the ribbons kinda suck, I much prefer context sensitive Rt-Click functionality.
Add in the hassle of adding the stuff someone at autodesk decided to leave the menus, well they suck a bit more.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

ChrisCarlson

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2014, 11:12:33 AM »
Show me! Where do i start learning? I've tried using the ribbon for a week, i could see no improvement over my simple custom menu.

I'm sure highly customized menu / toolbars are no match for anything AutoDesk can incorporate into CAD but for generic tasks such as, hatch creation / editing, array creation / editing or text editing the ribbon has proven invaluable. Depending on the frequency of inserting and manipulating TIFFs / JPEG's the contextual tools which become available are pretty decent as well.

Bethrine

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2014, 12:19:27 PM »
It was a bear to learn where everything is in the ribbons but once learned, not so bad. Not as fast as keyboard input though.

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2014, 12:33:00 PM »
All commands can be accessed through the command line thus there is no need for the ribbon or the classic menu bars so GET RID of them and free up some more screen real estate. 

:roll: :roll:
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

ChrisCarlson

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2014, 12:56:24 PM »
I want to switch from a 1500' x 1500' array of blocks with 24" spacing to a 1500' x 1500' array with 18" spacing, how do you do that with command line and without deleting and recreating the array? With the ribbon I only need to select the array and modify my column / row spacing
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 01:00:43 PM by ChrisCarlson »

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2014, 01:01:30 PM »
I want to switch from a 1500' x 1500' array of blocks with 24" spacing to a 1500' x 1500' array with 18" spacing, how do you do that with command line and without deleting and recreating the array? With the ribbon I only need to select the array and modify my column / row spacing

I'd use the properties palette.

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

cadtag

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2014, 01:01:51 PM »
I want to switch from a 1500 x 1500 array of blocks with 24" spacing to a 1500 x 1500 array with 18" spacing, how do you do that with command line and without deleting and recreating the array? With the ribbon I only need to select the array and modify my column / row spacing

easy -- all one needs to do is memorize all 15 gazillion commands, modifiers, and setvars and dimvars, and type really fast.
The only thing more dangerous to the liberty of a free people than big government is big business

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2014, 01:07:53 PM »
I would select the array- and use the on screen grips
No Ribbon Required
Be your Best

Michael Farrell