Author Topic: DWG to PDF.pc3 line weight output  (Read 2470 times)

WPerciful

DWG to PDF.pc3 line weight output
« on: March 26, 2014, 05:43:15 PM »
At work we use the “DWG to PDF.pc3” to plot to PDF.  The problem is that the line weight output is noticeably lighter.  If I plot to “Adobe PDF” or “PDF Complete” it plots fine but it plots sideways.  I need the “DWG to PDF.pc3” to not be consistent with all of the other plot methods.

BuckoAk

• Newt
Re: DWG to PDF.pc3 line weight output
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 06:43:41 PM »
In the Plot dialog look and see if "Plot Transparency" in Checked, we had this same issue at one time.
Things went back to normal once this was unchecked, We now only use this function for non-production drawings if we need it.

WPerciful

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 06:45:17 PM »
It is not checked

BuckoAk

• Newt
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 07:02:20 PM »
I found that trying to make two different plot drivers work the same was a waste of time, here we only use the DWG to PDF.pc3.
This way all our drawings plot identical, those extra drivers are removed from our work stations to keep those decisions simple.

WPerciful

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 07:30:40 PM »
That isn't an option in this case.

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 12:59:40 PM »
If this is what I think it is, the issue is with the PDF display on-screen through the Adobe Reader rather than any plotted line weight.  If that is the case you may see a difference in display if you view the same PDF with another viewer.  If you are stuck with Adobe Reader, try changing Preferences for such things as "Enhance thin lines", "Smooth line art", etc. (I can't remember the specific toggle off the top of my head).

The most direct solution is to understand what is actually happening (display vs. print), and have others understand as well.  Or, try the blunt answer: that's the way it display, it prints fine, no we don't have a way of changing that, spend the time focusing on what *really* matters (ie. the technical content of the drawing).
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 07:35:24 AM »
At work we use the “DWG to PDF.pc3” to plot to PDF.  The problem is that the line weight output is noticeably lighter.  If I plot to “Adobe PDF” or “PDF Complete” it plots fine but it plots sideways.  I need the “DWG to PDF.pc3” to not be consistent with all of the other plot methods.

Create a custom page size that isn't 'sideways'.

I've seen this in many locations, the issue being the device has Portrait page sizes defined.
The solution is to create a Landscape page definition that fits your needs.
Or the reverse depending on your definition of sideways.

Further you can modify the line weights themselves, push each one up 0.001 or whatever it takes to
make you happy with the output.  The downside, you will need to manage more named page setups.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2014, 08:08:54 AM »
The driver is better than when it was first issued.   I have found that using the full bleed sheets size works the best.

Just my half cent of an opinion.   :|
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

ChrisCarlson

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2014, 08:09:02 AM »
Could it be your Adobe PDF or Adobe Complete plotter is actually printing the lines too thick? What happens when you select scale lineweights from the plot dialog?