Author Topic: autodesk educational product removal  (Read 11514 times)

David-d

autodesk educational product removal
« on: March 25, 2014, 05:00:16 AM »
Hello
Need your help.
We have a lot of files with the problem autodesk educational product
Is there a script or Lisp that could solve this pressing problem ?.
Open the DWG files .. do PURGE  & audit and save in DXF files  and save agaib in DWG
Please help
David

snownut2

• Swamp Rat
  • Bricscad 22 Ultimate
Re: autodesk educational product removal
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 07:31:03 AM »
Oops,

From what I've heard you will need to reinstall any non-student autocad installation that opened one of the student acad files. In Autodesk's efforts to prevent  users from using student versions for anything other than just that all drawings from students will corrupt the next users version of
Autocad to also display the student version watermark.

I do not know of a method to remove the student watermark.

Seems someone just caused you a lot of money by introducing the student files into you workplace.

Do not send these files to any unsuspecting user as you will be causing them a lot of grief.

If there was a method to remove the student watermark, why would more people not be using the student version ?

The free educational versions are just what they are intended to be EDUCATIONAL ONLY.

Ps, I don't think you will get much help trying to circumvent AutoDesk's student security features.  (legal issues)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 07:37:10 AM by snownut2 »

ChrisCarlson

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 07:55:46 AM »

snownut2

• Swamp Rat
  • Bricscad 22 Ultimate
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 08:08:45 AM »
Chris,

This is new.

I'm still leery of this though, seems AutoDesk could have a change of heart at anytime ;

Starting with the installation of SP1 for the 2014 products, files will no longer show the stamp when plotting, nor will they give a warning message when opening them. However, the stamp is still attached to the file even though it is not showing.

If they realized they made a mistake, and reverted to their old ways, the watermark would be there again.  How knows maybe they have disabled it for a brief period to see who may be in trouble when turned back on. (little conspiracy theory there)

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 08:21:38 AM »
I chose "a".   :-D
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io

owenwengerd

• Bull Frog
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 11:12:21 AM »
Autodesk provides a command line utility through your reseller to remove the EMR stamp.

owenwengerd

• Bull Frog
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 11:22:20 AM »
Another option just now available: DWG TrueView 2015.

tedg

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 01:10:35 PM »
The bigger question is why do all these files have the educational stamp on them?
If they were created by an educational product, then this thread is asking us to help you break the law.

If they were truely created by a commercial product, how did they all get infected?
If it was someone in your office screwing them up, I would take the cost to fix them out of thier pay, or make them fix them on thier own time to keep thier job...

Too harsh?

Windows 10 Pro 64bit, AutoCAD 2023, REVIT 2023

cmwade77

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2014, 02:02:03 PM »
The bigger question is why do all these files have the educational stamp on them?
If they were created by an educational product, then this thread is asking us to help you break the law.

If they were truely created by a commercial product, how did they all get infected?
If it was someone in your office screwing them up, I would take the cost to fix them out of thier pay, or make them fix them on thier own time to keep thier job...

Too harsh?
First, at least in California (this is most likely true throughout the entire U.S. though), it would be illegal to take it out of their pay or make them fix it on their own time, even if they did this deliberately, which I doubt anyone did, considering how easy it is to get anyone infected. Now, if they did it deliberately, you could fire them and then sue for damages, but you can't just take it out of their pay without a court order. I only mention this because I have seen too many people jump on this idea and it can get companies into deep, deep trouble. For example in California, last I checked the penalty for doing this is 3 times what was taken out. Additionally, the last I checked in California, if a paycheck or any portion of it is late (not paid on the agreed upon date) (there are a few exceptions to this, but not many), the company must pay 8 hours per day that it is late, which is where the 8 hours per day comes from, if a person is salaried, then it is the equivalent of 8 hours, based off of a 40 hour work week (not including, holidays, vacation time and weekends). So, you can imagine that this could be a very costly mistake for a company to make and I would hate to see any company have to eat that kind of expense. So before considering doing something like this, always check your local labor laws.

That being said, it is actually very easy to get infected by the educational stamp, it is basically a virus. If you have a drawing with an Educational stamp on it, any other drawing that it touches in any way, shape or form, this includes, but is not limited to being xRefed in, being brought in as a block. If you have other drawings open and then open a drawing with an educational stamp, the other drawings will be infected if you save them. For this reason, I will not allow drawings with an Educational stamp to be saved to our server and the email that contains them is deleted immediately when we find out it's there, if it's on an FTP site all information for accessing that FTP site is deleted from all email accounts, etc. Yes, this might be overboard, but it's truly the only way to ensure that your other files do not get infected.

NOTE: AutoCAD 2014 SP1 (and presumably newer versions) does not do this, but I still won't allow drawings that I know to contain an educational stamp to be saved here, just to be safe.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 02:06:51 PM by cmwade77 »

tedg

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2014, 02:24:26 PM »
First, at least in California (this is most likely true throughout the entire U.S. though), it would be illegal to take it out of their pay or make them fix it on their own time, even if they did this deliberately..

Yea, I figured as much, I was more ranting than being serious. I know you can't make someone work for nothing or take from thier pay. But if they aren't a good employee, something like this could be grounds for termination in some cases I would think.

That being said, it is actually very easy to get infected by the educational stamp, it is basically a virus. .... I will not allow drawings with an Educational stamp to be saved to our server and the email that contains them is deleted immediately when we find out it's there, if it's on an FTP site all information for accessing that FTP site is deleted from all email accounts, etc. Yes, this might be overboard, but it's truly the only way to ensure that your other files do not get infected.
Good to hear you have something in place to avoid this.

I have only seen this happen once where I work.. about 10 years ago, someone (an outside contractor) had sent us a landscape plan on an "educational version" drawing file, we rejected it and told them to send us a proper drawing which they did. We checked it out thoroughly first.

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2014, 02:41:48 PM »
that makes 4 for "a"

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2014, 03:08:34 PM »
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io

tedg

• Swamp Rat

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2014, 10:37:28 PM »
Under the FLSA, deductions for losses incurred by an employer out of negligence of an employee may be made to non-exempt employees only and the deductions cannot reduce an employees wages to less than minimum wage for any earning period. That being said, some states like California specifically restrict deductions for losses unless it can be shown that the employee was grossly negligent or intentionally cause the loss.

As far as the educational plot stamp is concerned, I have seen it propagate through an office like wildfire because one idiot inserted an educational block into a title block that was xref'd by thousands of drawings. Cleaning up the mess is a nightmare!

The simplest way to fix the issue is to batch process all of the drawings using the Autodesk utility .. but you had better be ready to explain how it got that way to begin with.

There are other ways, but in the interest of not spreading protected knowledge, I'll refrain from disclosing it.
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

Bethrine

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2014, 01:09:28 PM »
NOTE: AutoCAD 2014 SP1 (and presumably newer versions) does not do this, but I still won't allow drawings that I know to contain an educational stamp to be saved here, just to be safe.

Is the plot stamp problem solved by 2014 or is it just lurking hidden in the background?

I ask because we just upgraded to '14 and happen to have one drawing (that we're aware of) with that pesky stamp. When same drawing is opened in '14, the stamp is nowhere to be found, drawing to final print. We have done nothing to change it's appearance, or lack thereof, so I am a bit concerned.  :|

Added:
Found this:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-2013-2014/ACAD-2014-and-Educational-Version-plot-stamp/td-p/4614319/page/3
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 01:27:00 PM by Bethrine »