Author Topic: Learning Revit - Visibility Issue  (Read 3293 times)

Barry Clark

Learning Revit - Visibility Issue
« on: March 24, 2014, 07:16:51 PM »
I'm on a lesson in Revit and the lesson has me picking walls from a lower level but I am not able to see them through the roof layer that I am looking through as they do in the lesson.

Is there  a control I am missing here that would allow some visibility of the lower levels even if not active?

Thanks!

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
Re: Learning Revit - Visibility Issue
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 07:23:29 PM »
Have you check you view range? (located in the properties palette).  Is the bottom range set to a level above desire lower level?
I would read up on View Range.   It is a quirky beast.   

I am still learning Revit myself.  But they are going to throw me onto Revit MEP this week.    :-o :?
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here for camaraderie

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 08:07:00 PM »
Maybe set the view's UNDERLAY to the level below?
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io

Barry Clark

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 08:53:20 AM »
Maybe set the view's UNDERLAY to the level below?
Tried that. No dice.

Barry Clark

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 08:53:57 AM »
Have you check you view range? (located in the properties palette).  Is the bottom range set to a level above desire lower level?
I would read up on View Range.   It is a quirky beast.   

I am still learning Revit myself.  But they are going to throw me onto Revit MEP this week.    :-o :?
I actually can't seem to edit that property. I had been able to before. Not sure what changed.

Matt__W

• Seagull
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 09:16:01 AM »
If you have a view template applied in 2014, it will gray out that option.
Autodesk Expert Elite

• Bull Frog
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 09:27:42 AM »
Could be two things.
1. If as you describe the tutorial is looking through the roof to pick the walls the roof may well have had the transparency setting tweaked. Right click on the roof and pick "override graphics view" then pick either "by element" or "by category" then pick "surface transparency"  and move the slider to the right, and then click ok. This will increase the transparency from 0% to to 100%. You can now see elements that were previously hidden.
2. If you are in a roof view/level then you may well have to set the floor plan to underlay. Under graphics  (within the roof view) within the properties dialogue box there is a selection called "Underlay" click on this and choose the level upon which your walls are on. You will now be able to see and edit the walls.

Alastair
Alastair Mallett Autodesk Certified Professional
Technical Director
Hunters South Architects

• Bull Frog
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 09:30:09 AM »
When you have a view template set you can only change "things" via the view template settings. This has been true for several versions of Revit.
Alastair Mallett Autodesk Certified Professional
Technical Director
Hunters South Architects

Matt__W

• Seagull
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2014, 10:21:00 AM »
When you have a view template set you can only change "things" via the view template settings. This has been true for several versions of Revit.

True.  Just assumed he was using 2014 since it's the most current, hence the reason I singled out 2014.
Autodesk Expert Elite

Barry Clark

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2014, 10:43:22 AM »
I didn't apply one on purpose if I did. I am super, super beginner here.

Barry Clark

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2014, 10:44:56 AM »
Could be two things.
1. If as you describe the tutorial is looking through the roof to pick the walls the roof may well have had the transparency setting tweaked. Right click on the roof and pick "override graphics view" then pick either "by element" or "by category" then pick "surface transparency"  and move the slider to the right, and then click ok. This will increase the transparency from 0% to to 100%. You can now see elements that were previously hidden.
2. If you are in a roof view/level then you may well have to set the floor plan to underlay. Under graphics  (within the roof view) within the properties dialogue box there is a selection called "Underlay" click on this and choose the level upon which your walls are on. You will now be able to see and edit the walls.

Alastair
Thanks! I mixture of 1 and 2 worked! I was indeed working in the plan view of the roof level. The underlay option I already tried and that didn't do it. But... changing the transparency in the roof view allowed me to see what I needed to. Thanks!

Barry Clark

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2014, 10:45:15 AM »

True.  Just assumed he was using 2014 since it's the most current, hence the reason I singled out 2014.
Yep. MEP 2014. :)

Rob...

• King Gator
  • Take a little time to stop and smell the roses.
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2014, 10:57:40 AM »
View templates can control all of the visibility settings but don't have to. Certain things can be excluded from the template and can be controlled with the VG settings.
CAD Tech