Author Topic: Autodesk Vehicle Tracking  (Read 18799 times)

BlackBox

• King Gator
Autodesk Vehicle Tracking
« on: March 05, 2014, 02:32:19 PM »
Interested to know if anybody is using Autodesk Vehicle Tracking yet, and how it compares to AutoTURN?

New licenses of Vehicle Tracking 2014 are available at 50% off SRP for Autodesk Subscription customers who already hold a license of AutoCAD 2014, AutoCAD Map 3D 2014, AutoCAD Civil 3D 2014, or Infrastructure Design Suite 2014. This offer ends on April 23, 2014.
"How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
Re: Autodesk Vehicle Tracking
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 02:55:39 PM »
We're about a week into our trial version.  Not sure if anyone has actually used it yet though.  From what I saw in the videos, it looks very similar to AutoTURN.  I plan on messing around with it on Friday or early next week.  #outofcontextthread  I'll keep you posted.
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 03:29:17 PM »
We used it before AutoDesk bought it, and we're still waiting to see how the licenses we have will transfer.  It used to be called AutoTrack, and was quite user friendly.  I'll be interested to hear of others thoughts on how it compares with other software.
Thanks for explaining the word "many" to me, it means a lot.

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 04:08:37 PM »
Thank you both for the replies.

The owner here is interested to know if we even need AutoTURN anymore, if this is as-good. Imaginit is conducting an overview webcast next week, so I thought I'd download the trial and do a side-by-side comparison with AutoTURN 8 (already installed) for myself.

I'm definitely interested to know more about others' experience with AutoTrack (then), and Vehicle Tracking (now), as I've only ever used AutoTURN in the past.

We don't use it (AutoTURN) often per-se, but we are currently relegated by having only a single license, which obviously creates the occasional conflict, etc... Especially for half-price as noted above (we just upgraded to Infrastructure Design Suite 2014), we're very interested.

huiz

• Swamp Rat
  • Certified Prof C3D
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 02:06:02 AM »
It is quite expensive, so I'll wait if it will be part of the Infrastructure Design Suite.
The conclusion is justified that the initialization of the development of critical subsystem optimizes the probability of success to the development of the technical behavior over a given period.

Wedding

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 07:07:17 PM »
It's a fairly specialized piece of software, and while I can't guarantee that an absorption wouldn't happen, I wouldn't hold your breath. The offer that's out there is a very good deal if you ever deal in swept-path work. Honestly, for me, the parking lot layout tools are the bigger deal since I spent more time in commercial site work.

huiz

• Swamp Rat
  • Certified Prof C3D
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 03:08:26 AM »
Still it is quite expensive. If one use it for a track path now and then, there are much cheaper and even free solutions.

The conclusion is justified that the initialization of the development of critical subsystem optimizes the probability of success to the development of the technical behavior over a given period.

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 09:37:13 AM »
I have never seen a free solution for this that was worth a darn. IIRC, when I asked the boss to get AutoTurn a few years ago he replied it was too expensive (over $2k then) so he said no. Another engineer we do business with did purchase it at the same time...we have had him to pay him for turning analysis for our projects enough that we coould've paid for 4, or more, licenses. This time I am insisting that we get AVT.

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2014, 09:41:26 AM »
This time I am insisting that we get AVT.

AVT == Autodesk Vehicle Tracking (just in case there's another product I am yet unaware of  :-) )?

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2014, 11:05:55 AM »
Correct, BB

Wedding

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2014, 11:42:53 AM »
Obvious disclosure: I work for Autodesk. I have a vested interest in seeing this product in your toolbox.

Sticker price is right around $2K in the US, $2500 if you put it on the network. Your typical engineer bills out at $125/hour. If you spend 20 hours a YEAR working on swept-path, parking lots, or reoundabouts, the math is pretty simple. To me, just the parking lot layouts ALONE would have made my money back (stupid offset, array, reoffset, erase, offset, array, reerase, reoffset, erase it all, start over process...) Software is cheap compared to time.

Not to mention, there is a promotion right now for Map 3D and Civil 3D customers. New licenses of Vehicle Tracking 2014 are available at 50% off SRP for Autodesk Subscription customers who already hold a license of AutoCAD 2014, AutoCAD Map 3D 2014, AutoCAD Civil 3D 2014, or Infrastructure Design Suite 2014. This offer ends on April 23, 2014. That's from this page: http://www.autodesk.com/products/vehicle-tracking/overview.

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2014, 12:33:35 PM »
Correct, BB

Thank you, Sir... I had a follow up question for you, but having just come back from a lift station inspection, cannot for the life of me think what it was. Grrr.

Obvious disclosure: I work for Autodesk. I have a vested interest in seeing this product in your toolbox.

Sticker price is right around $2K in the US, $2500 if you put it on the network. Your typical engineer bills out at $125/hour. If you spend 20 hours a YEAR working on swept-path, parking lots, or reoundabouts, the math is pretty simple. To me, just the parking lot layouts ALONE would have made my money back (stupid offset, array, reoffset, erase, offset, array, reerase, reoffset, erase it all, start over process...) Software is cheap compared to time.

Bias aside, I appreciate the information, and opinion, JW.

Not to mention, there is a promotion right now....

I thought I covered that in the OP.  :wink:

Cheers

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2014, 04:22:32 PM »
AVT still uses .CHM for help file (thank God).  :-D

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2014, 04:25:36 PM »
AVT still uses .CHM for help file (thank God).  :-D
But will it be updated??  Me thinks probably not.
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io

huiz

• Swamp Rat
  • Certified Prof C3D
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2014, 06:24:07 AM »

Not to mention, there is a promotion right now for Map 3D and Civil 3D customers. New licenses of Vehicle Tracking 2014 are available at 50% off SRP for Autodesk Subscription customers who already hold a license of AutoCAD 2014, AutoCAD Map 3D 2014, AutoCAD Civil 3D 2014, or Infrastructure Design Suite 2014. This offer ends on April 23, 2014. That's from this page: http://www.autodesk.com/products/vehicle-tracking/overview.

You are right about software is cheap compared to time. And I would not discuss the quality of AVT, I have worked with it and the Vehicle Tracking is not worse or better than other software. The Parking Lit Designer is good and if you do such work a lot, it is a real timesaver. If you don't do this much, a few dynamic blocks will help too.

But your calculation is wrong. You assume the engineer has a 100% profit if you translate $ 2500 into 20 hours.

If he has only $ 5 profit ph, then he need to work 500 hours with the software before he can start making profit again. If he also needs a day of training, then he needs to work almost 700 hourse before he can start making profit. It might be less if the software is such a timesaver that he can send bills for the time it usually cost but he actually worked less with the new software. But in the real world you must be cheaper than a competitor, and you can't keep sending bills for the time it cost in the past, so then there is no extra profit.

And that is why I think the software is quite expensive.