Author Topic: Civil 3D 2014 | Fatal Errors  (Read 4351 times)

BlackBox

• King Gator
Civil 3D 2014 | Fatal Errors
« on: February 05, 2014, 02:34:48 PM »
Current configuration:

Fresh install of Infrastructure Design Suite 2014 Premium (i.e., Civil 3D, Raster Design, etc.), on a brand new Dell Precision T3600 workstation (Hex-Core Intel Xeon 3.2 Ghz, 32GB RAM, 256GB SSD, 3GB NVIDIA Quadro K4000 [Autodesk Certified video card], etc.).

Since install (which includes SP1 from the installer dialog), I'm able to produce without issue, creating alignments, surfaces, profiles, assemblies... Until I add a Profile View, at which point I receive either an 0xffffff or 0x0000 exception. This error occurs if I create the Profile View, or if opening any drawing that contains a Profile View.

InfoCenter is off, I've verified that CommunicationCenter has correct DWORD values, and even gone so far as to perform a repair, a reinstall, reset original settings using secondary installer, and finally manually uninstalling everything and reinstalling fresh again. No Joy.

After more diagnosing, I was able to identify that the issue is only encountered with a particular C3D drawing. So I started another from scratch, making sure to WBLOCK out only AutoCAD entities I needed, and even re-created the styles I need to use. Only when I get to creating the Profile Views does this happen. I was also able to verify that it's an issue with displaying the Profile View. I opened a drawing that has a Profile View saved within, and when opening the drawing the grid lines, etc. are shown and then somehow hidden from view. The drawing is still fine. Only after a REGEN, which does bring back the missing line work, then the exceptions are raised again.

Any suggestions?
"How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
Re: Civil 3D 2014 | Fatal Errors
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 05:57:47 PM »
Not that it helps, but I have not experienced any issues of this nature with C3D2014. When you 'start another from scratch', are you using a DWT or just letting Autocad create one out of nothing (i.e. the QNEW template setting is empty)?

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 06:33:49 PM »
Nor had I, with my previous workstation.

Yes, I was using OOTB QNEW Template & WBLOCKing out an entity to start with a clean drawing.

Strangely enough, the one thing I hadn't tried was inserting the problem DWG into a clean one, and that seems to fix whatever the issue was. I ended up working on the drawing for the rest of the day without issue (and after the way my day was going, I fully expected more of the same).

Aside from inserting the DWG, I abused Google. That's it. Ate some lunch. Fired it up, inserted, and voila. Joy. I've never seen any Autodesk product behave in this fashion before, frankly.

... In any event, the new workstation is pretty fast. LoL  :-D

cadtag

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 10:54:25 AM »
does audit show anything on the problem file?  still running 2011 at work, and audit has become my  BFF
The only thing more dangerous to the liberty of a free people than big government is big business

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 12:54:34 PM »
does audit show anything on the problem file?

Not sure about the audit, as it didn't stay open long enough for me to find out. LoL Since things are working now, I'm hesitant to break things again. Something was certainly wrong with the drawing though, as each of the numerous times I opened the drawing via recover yielded 20 fixed errors, and then promptly had a fatal error.

still running 2011 at work, and audit has become my  BFF

I have it on good authority that 2014 is available for you, just submit a ticket to IT... I had it on my workstation since +/- Thanksgiving 2013, and got it installed on the other CAD users in my office before I left.

Cheers

LeonH

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 11:34:12 AM »
I had the same issue a couple of weeks back and promptly srouted some more grey hairs. Fixed it by starting with a completely blank 2014 template, and then importing the styles over from a 2013 drawing.

sourdough

• Bull Frog
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2014, 08:29:22 AM »
I just saw a webinar about that very topic of not having the most recent 2014 c3d Imperial template. It seems that some new data is in those templates... that the older one don't have, are the key to happiness.

MJP
LDC 2009/C3D 2010/C3D 2011/C3D 2016

Win 10 64bit

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2014, 11:44:52 AM »
I just saw a webinar about that very topic of not having the most recent 2014 c3d Imperial template. It seems that some new data is in those templates... that the older one don't have, are the key to happiness.

MJP

I trust you are implying that one should use the DWTs that shipped with 2014?

Otherwise I can find no record of any newly minted templates released as service patch, etc to correct any issues.

Although I have had no such ill effects with any of my files irrespective of what version or template they were started with.

I would be interested to see a detailed list of what you believe to be new, and or missing.
Otherwise it sounds a bit like vapour-ware.

My friend saw Bigfoot on the subway in Boston.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/