Author Topic: Inventor Questions, Ack!  (Read 3024 times)

Bethrine

Inventor Questions, Ack!
« on: February 28, 2014, 09:10:51 AM »
Morning! Turns out the book I used to learn Inventor barely taps the surface of it's capabilities so...

1. Is Inventor supposed to automatically update from assembly files to parts files and also from parts files to assembly files?

2.Also, I was under the impression BOM's part names would automatically update as well. Is this incorrect? Is there a correct way to do this? I would like to use the structured BOM but I want to start with generic names and put in "parts list proper" names later. Is this possible?

3.There are .ipn .ipj files saved locally in my documents and they are replacing my computer today. I saved the Inventor files to the server but I am wondering if all the links will be broken?

4.Sheets: Shouldn't I be able to update title blocks separately per sheet? Example, if I change the page number on the first sheet, it changes it the same on every sheet in a drawing. If this is so, why be able to create more than one sheet in a drawing

I'm confused.  Am I just AutoCAD bound?? :ugly:

Thanks for any help understanding!  :-)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 09:34:33 AM by Bethrine »

tedg

• Swamp Rat
Re: Inventor Questions, Ack!
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 12:51:22 PM »
See my comments in red, sorry not alot of help..

Morning! Turns out the book I used to learn Inventor barely taps the surface of it's capabilities so...

1. Is Inventor supposed to automatically update from assembly files to parts files and also from parts files to assembly files?

There should be a button at the top left of your screen that you hit to reload/refresh references, it may have a lightning bolt on it. No, as far as I know, it doesn't happen automatically

2.Also, I was under the impression BOM's part names would automatically update as well. Is this incorrect? Is there a correct way to do this? I would like to use the structured BOM but I want to start with generic names and put in "parts list proper" names later. Is this possible?

No idea, sorry

3.There are .ipn .ipj files saved locally in my documents and they are replacing my computer today. I saved the Inventor files to the server but I am wondering if all the links will be broken?

No idea, maybe if they have the same path it will be ok.

4.Sheets: Shouldn't I be able to update title blocks separately per sheet? Example, if I change the page number on the first sheet, it changes it the same on every sheet in a drawing. If this is so, why be able to create more than one sheet in a drawing

Not sure here either.. title blocks in Inventor are quirky (to me anyway).

I'm confused.  Am I just AutoCAD bound?? :ugly:

Thanks for any help understanding!  :)
Windows 10 Pro 64bit, AutoCAD 2023, REVIT 2023

Bethrine

Re: Inventor Questions, Ack!
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 02:43:17 PM »
Thank you for the reply! 

- I figured the title block out. Once I set the text entry up correctly, it works perfectly.

- It does auto update if it's set up to. I moved the files and broke the link. I think this is what "projects" is for, to keep track of file links and I think the .ipj extension is just for that, but I am not sure. Not a lot of help if those file extensions are located on my desktop and they change out my computer.  :roll: I am using the server now.  :lol: