Author Topic: Carlson looking at user interest in Bricscad...  (Read 6851 times)

gskelly

• Newt
Carlson looking at user interest in Bricscad...
« on: November 05, 2010, 02:03:03 PM »

There is a posting in the Carlson User Forum http://update.carlsonsw.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=20 asking users for their interest in Carlson supporting Bricscad.

I for one would love to see that happen!
Bricscad v12

It's Alive!

• Retired
  • Needs a day job
  • AKA Daniel
Re: Carlson looking at user interest in Bricscad...
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 08:28:28 AM »
I was kind of surprised when they chose IC over Bricscad to begin with, but it's never too late to switch  8-)

Dent Cermak

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 08:42:19 AM »
I saw that. But I am totally unfamiliar with Briscad.
In my opinion, the version I tried of intellicad was very weak and severly prone to crashing.
What are the advantages of Briscad? Is it better than the AutoCad version, or is it just what you are used to using and works well for you? Is it TOTALLY compatible with AutoCad?
I've read their advertising on their site, but that really tells me nothing. All sites claim their product is the greatest thing since sliced bread.
What does it do that would make me want to switch from mu AutoCad version?

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 09:29:48 AM »
mu AutoCad version

where did you find a version just for cows? 

Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Dent Cermak

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 12:06:40 PM »
Udderly so!!  :-o

gskelly

• Newt
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 12:33:49 PM »
I saw that. But I am totally unfamiliar with Briscad.
In my opinion, the version I tried of intellicad was very weak and severly prone to crashing.

I agree with that and add there is functionality missing in the Intellicad version.

What are the advantages of Briscad? Is it better than the AutoCad version, or is it just what you are used to using and works well for you? Is it TOTALLY compatible with AutoCad?

I do not have access to Autocad and have not for several years. There are certainly features in Autocad that Bricscad does not have. Features are being added to both and Autocad is the leader.

What does it do that would make me want to switch from mu AutoCad version?

If you already own Autocad I cannot suggest purchasing another CAD package. Perhaps I misunderstood this part?

As far as the stand-alone Carlson software with Autocad "built-in" I am not certain here but I think it is only the Survey portion that is available this way. To run the Civil Suite, as I understand it, you need a version of Autocad (not LT) or run it with the included Intellicad.

For me, I hope to be able to run Carlson software in Bricscad or I will eventually end up finding a suitable application that does run within Bricscad... unless something unpredictable happens in the CAD world and that never happens does it?  :lol:

Bricscad v12

gskelly

• Newt
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 12:34:14 PM »
I was kind of surprised when they chose IC over Bricscad to begin with, but it's never too late to switch  8-)

Me too!
Bricscad v12

snownut2

• Swamp Rat
  • Bricscad 22 Ultimate
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2014, 03:59:40 PM »
Resuscitating the dead here, I don't think Carlson is interested in providing any additional features to their software, or essentially allowing 3rd party developers to develop applications to run in Carlson.  By choosing the Intellicad option they have the ability to restrict this access, using BricsCAD they would be opening the door to 3rd party developers.  Carlson started as a 3rd party developer competing with SoftDesk now part of AutoCAD, so they are very familiar with the situation.  I would be shocked to see Carlson now adapt their program for BricsCAD use. 

Dent Cermak

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2014, 08:22:21 PM »
I totally disagree. Carlson will be glad to use Briscad, IF they can get the fee structure worked out. It is my understanding THAT is the only issue. Last I heard they were still working on it. (And that info came from Bruce himself at one of the local state PLS conventions.) After getting burned by Autodesk, they are in no hurry to find themselves in such a position again.

rkmcswain

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2014, 02:14:24 PM »
Carlson started as a 3rd party developer competing with SoftDesk 

Actually, Carlson ('83) was around before DCA/Softdesk (±'87)

Dent Cermak

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2014, 09:53:32 PM »
Aren't they a "spin off" or evolution of C&GS?

rkmcswain

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2014, 08:00:23 AM »
Aren't they a "spin off" or evolution of C&GS?

If you mean Carlson, no.
Carlson purchased C&G in ±2001