Author Topic: An Ambiguity  (Read 1702 times)

Robert98

An Ambiguity
« on: January 31, 2014, 09:04:34 AM »
Hi

I have asked this before in an autolisp post , but I'm still forlorn .
There is an ambiguity for me about DLL  that creates by .NET :
Are there strongly Dependency to version's of Autocad and VS version , same as ARX or they can act easier in different versions ?
For example DLL that created for autocad by VS 2005 is loading in Autocad 2014 or no ?

Thanks
, Robert

exmachina

Re: An Ambiguity
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 05:48:10 PM »
Are there strongly Dependency to version's of Autocad and VS version , same as ARX or they can act easier in different versions ?
Maybe yes, maybe no.
It may work or not according to their references/dependencies, changes in the AutoCAD .NET API and also in the architecture for which they have been compiled.

Hi
For example DLL that created for autocad by VS 2005 is loading in Autocad 2014 or no ?
No.
There is no compatibility between the assemblies created for AutoCAD 2013 and earlier versions, but many of the assemblies created for AutoCAD 2007 can work in autocad 2010

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 05:56:28 PM »
I've hand the same DLLs done with VS 2008 and VS 2010 running on both AutoCAD 2008 and 2011.  Minor rebuilds were necessary for them to run on AutoCAD 2014.
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

MickD

• King Gator
  • (x-in)->[process]->(y-out) ... simples!
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 05:17:58 PM »
The version of visual studio doesn't really matter but the references do and they align with the .dwg version for that release (the same as ARX). Visual studio matters more with ARX due to the version MFC and other C/C++ lib's that AutoCAD is built with and what you need to develop your ARX plug in with.
With .net this isn't an issue as these are abstracted away with wrappers in the .net lib's that deals with this.
"Programming is really just the mundane aspect of expressing a solution to a problem."
- John Carmack

"Short cuts make long delays,' argued Pippin.”
- J.R.R. Tolkien