Author Topic: help editing mrsid files on a 64bit machine  (Read 2754 times)

alanjt

• Needs a day job
  • Standby for witty remark...
help editing mrsid files on a 64bit machine
« on: January 30, 2014, 08:47:07 AM »
The old mrsid viewer, that also gave you some editing capabilities, doesn't work on 64bit machines. Does anyone have a solution for editing them? Actually, I just want to make them greyscale instead of color. I can change this if inserting in mapwspace, but it bogs the drawing down, can't xref, and you can't freeze in certain viewports.
I *thought* you could change any inserted image in autocad to show greyscale, but I was either wrong or can't find the option.
Civil 3D 2019 ~ Windohz 7 64bit
Dropbox

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
Re: help editing mrsid files on a 64bit machine
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 08:59:13 AM »
Have you tried IrfanView?

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 10:41:11 AM »
You can change images in AutoCAD, but need Raster Design.
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

alanjt

• Needs a day job
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 12:04:05 PM »
Have you tried IrfanView?
I tried that once before, but it stripped out all the coordinate data.

You can change images in AutoCAD, but need Raster Design.
We have infrastructure design suite, so Raster design is available, but I know nothing on it's use. Will have to look into that. Thank you. Once I alter the visibility of the image (change from color to bw), will it display properly when I open the file again in civil 3d?
Dropbox

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 03:07:42 PM »
Images are basically an XREF, so any alterations made (and SAVED) to the image file should stay put.
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

danallen

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 03:22:15 PM »
The old mrsid viewer, that also gave you some editing capabilities, doesn't work on 64bit machines. Does anyone have a solution for editing them? Actually, I just want to make them greyscale instead of color. I can change this if inserting in mapwspace, but it bogs the drawing down, can't xref, and you can't freeze in certain viewports.
I *thought* you could change any inserted image in autocad to show greyscale, but I was either wrong or can't find the option.

Can you use a virtual PC running 32bit windows to use old program? (I don't know how but I've heard about it)

alanjt

• Needs a day job
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 01:02:46 PM »
Images are basically an XREF, so any alterations made (and SAVED) to the image file should stay put.
Right. I was thinking it would be editing the state of the object within the drawing. I opened "raster design for civil 3d" but I couldn't figure out anything different. How would I edit the image from there?

Can you use a virtual PC running 32bit windows to use old program? (I don't know how but I've heard about it)

If all else fails, I might give that a try, or find one of the xp machines sitting around and do it on there, but I'd rather have a non-bandaid method. :\
Dropbox

cadtag

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 02:33:22 PM »
I keep the menubar on, so ribbon location may vary, but on theRaster Pulldown, select Image Processing, and then Change Color Depth, and you should have a grayscale option
The only thing more dangerous to the liberty of a free people than big government is big business

alanjt

• Needs a day job
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2014, 09:37:57 PM »
I keep the menubar on, so ribbon location may vary, but on theRaster Pulldown, select Image Processing, and then Change Color Depth, and you should have a grayscale option
When I opened Raster design, it didn't look any different that c3d. I'll have to make sure the menu is actually loaded properly and check it out then. For the time being, I took Ron's suggestion, and after finding the mrsid plugin, I was able to convert the sid to greyscale and save as a jpg. Sadly, it lost all it's coordinate data, so I had to manually place and scale once I inserted the images into my drawing.
Thanks guys. I still swear you could set an image to greyscale in older versions, but I'm sure I'm just misremembering.  :ugly:
Dropbox

Scott

• Bull Frog
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2014, 09:59:31 PM »
Global Mapper?