Author Topic: ARX Error on load of file, Unable to use Land Desktop Commands  (Read 2941 times)

Big Al

ARX Error on load of file, Unable to use Land Desktop Commands
« on: November 04, 2013, 11:21:18 AM »
Hi all,

I am trying to load template/CAD standard that was given to me by a client.  The file name indicates it has been "dumbed down" to v2000.  I am using Autodesk Land Desktop, with Civil and Survey modules, which is based on AutoCAD 2002, and which saves to v2000 DWG file.

When I open the DWG file, after locating the appropriate SHX files, there are a few problems.

1) When I open the drawing file I get an error message "This application has detected objects from a newer version in this drawing.  Some commands may not be available.  Use Save As R14 to convert this drawing into a format that can be read by this application.  Note: the newer version may contain features which are not compatible with this version.  Therefore some information may be lost when saving to R14.  See the ReadMe for details."  I accept this error message by clicking "OK".  By the way, I have saved to R14, but this does not seem to solve the issue, as the same error message above appears thereafter.

2) After the drawing loads, I get a repetitive error message on the command line "ARX_Error: ENotThatKindOfClass", which repeats many times each time I execute a command.

3) Most importantly, I can not seem to execute Land Desktop commands.

I have tried converting the file using Autodesk's DWG TrueView 2012 software, but the problems listed above persist.

Could anyone help me figure out what's going on, and perhaps even fix the issues identified above?

Big Al

Rob...

• King Gator
  • Take a little time to stop and smell the roses.
Re: ARX Error on load of file, Unable to use Land Desktop Commands
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 11:25:04 AM »
I think you need to start with the non-dumbed down version and export it or use Drawing True View rather than save as.
CAD Tech

Big Al

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 11:44:44 AM »
Hi Rob,

Thanks.  That's a good idea.  Unfortunately, I don't have that file.  I'll have to ask the client for that........

I've read that some people have had success working around this issue by using the wblock command.  If I remember, when I tried this, I lost all the layers that didn't have objects on them, and so I had to go through a procedure of creating an object on each layer, which was no small task given hundreds of layers....

Al

Rob...

• King Gator
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 11:47:09 AM »
I've tried to "fix" files that were not properly saved down with little success.
CAD Tech

Big Al

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 11:56:14 AM »
One other possibility would be to have someone with a newer version of AutoCAD open the problem file, and then save it in their version.  Then, take that file and use DWG TrueView to bring it down to v2000?

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 12:11:53 PM »
The problem you are dealing with is not one of DWG version, but one of vertical content version.  The template was created with a newer vertical version, which therefore contains entities and/or objects (which aren't necessarily in the drawing, but can be data-only).  While they can save down to an earlier DWG version, they cannot save down to an earlier vertical version.

If it is essential for you to work with their files they will need to "dumb it down" to vanilla-AutoCAD only content, or you will need to use the same version of vertical software they are.
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

Rob...

• King Gator
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 12:54:44 PM »
One other possibility would be to have someone with a newer version of AutoCAD open the problem file, and then save it in their version.  Then, take that file and use DWG TrueView to bring it down to v2000?
It's too late for the problem file. You need a new one.

The same version of the vertical may not be necessary. If you can get the original, Drawing True View should do the trick for you.
CAD Tech

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 02:41:21 PM »
I am trying to load template/CAD standard that was given to me by a client.  The file name indicates it has been "dumbed down" to v2000.  I am using Autodesk Land Desktop...

When I open the DWG file, after locating the appropriate SHX files, there are a few problems.

1) When I open the drawing file I get an error message "This application has detected objects from a newer version in this drawing.

... Sounds like they did a SAVEAS instead of an Export to AutoCAD, and providing you the Land Desktop Database, no?
"How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."