Author Topic: QUICK way to change LAYER PROPERTIES?  (Read 3265 times)

Noodlehoss

QUICK way to change LAYER PROPERTIES?
« on: March 24, 2005, 04:46:50 PM »
...I've been doing this forever...going through a drawing by looking at objects and adjusting layer properties such as color and linetype...in the layer properties manager.

Very time consuming...select the object, see which layer it's on,
find that layer in the layer properties manager, change it to the color or linetype you want, close the manager...next.

Is there a quick way to select an object and change it's layer's properties?

that would be great...

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2005, 05:09:16 PM »
What version of AutoCAD? From 2000 on there's the properties dialogue which sounds just the ticket. Set pickfirst = 1, pickadd to suit, then type properties, selecting objects and changing layers as appropriate.

Love the username.
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

Noodlehoss

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2005, 05:48:59 PM »
Thanks MP. I'm running 2000. The properties dialogue only allows me to change the properties of an object...such as assigning it to a different layer. I want to change the properties of the LAYER that the object is on...such as layer color, layer linetype...without opening up the layer properties (Command: 'layer) dialogue.

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2005, 05:56:18 PM »
I use this one everyday to select an object and change the layer color.

Code: [Select]
(defun C:CLC (/ lay colr)
  (setvar "cmdecho" 0)
  (setq lay
(cdr
  (assoc
    (entget
      (car
(nentsel "\nSelect entity to specify layer for color: ")
      )
    )
  )
)
)

(setq colr (getstring (strcat "\n Input desired color for layer <" lay ">: " )))
  (command ".-layer" "c" colr lay "")
  (princ)
)

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2005, 06:03:31 PM »
Ahhh, damn coffee's a dud.

If I understand you now that seems an inefficient way to do that, but I don't have all the details. What's your overall objective, to set all the layers to spec? If it were me I'd create a table and have a program walk the table, setting the layer colors, linetype etc per the table.

Any chance of posting a sample drawing (zipped) to lilly pad (use your login name + password to access) and / or a list of the desired layer properties?

If so I'll look at it this evening.
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

Noodlehoss

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2005, 08:50:31 AM »
ronjonp - I wish I know how to use a piece of code like that to perform an operation...I would give it a try. I guess that's another topic. Thanks for the info.

MP - my objective is to take someone else'e layer laden drawing and change the layer properties to fit my own standards for viewing and plotting.

CADaver

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2005, 08:52:25 AM »
Quote from: Noodlehoss
ronjonp - I wish I know how to use a piece of code like that to perform an operation...I would give it a try. I guess that's another topic. Thanks for the info.

MP - my objective is to take someone else'e layer laden drawing and change the layer properties to fit my own standards for viewing and plotting.
INvestigate STANDARDS and CHECKSTANDARDS

CAB

• Global Moderator
  • Seagull
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2005, 08:55:55 AM »
Have you explored the ExpressTools?

LAYTRANS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Translates one layer scheme to another

The Layer Translator translates layers in the current drawing to a model layer-naming convention. You can provide the model scheme with a template drawing or retrieve it from an external LXT file. LXT files can be written from inside Layer Translator. You can also display and purge unreferenced layers from the current drawing.
I've reached the age where the happy hour is a nap. (°¿°)
Windows 10 core i7 4790k 4Ghz 32GB GTX 970
Please support this web site.

Noodlehoss

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2005, 10:38:07 AM »
CAB - I've looked at LAYTRANS...It may be helpful for doing what I want to do...thanks

CADaver - 'INvestigate STANDARDS and CHECKSTANDARDS'...means nothing to me. Thanks though.

Andrea

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2005, 12:40:37 PM »
you can use

_CHPROP
_-CHANGE
_MATCHPROP
LAYMCH
LAYCUR
COPYTOLAYER

depending what you need to do....
Keep smile...

CADaver

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2005, 02:44:13 PM »
CAB - I've looked at LAYTRANS...It may be helpful for doing what I want to do...thanks

CADaver - 'INvestigate STANDARDS and CHECKSTANDARDS'...means nothing to me. Thanks though.
CHECKSTANDARDS is an AutoCAD command that analyzes the current drawing for standards violations. It provides a description of a nonstandard object in the current drawing. Then allows you to select a replacement from a "Replace With list"   It can automatically "repair" violations that share common names.  

To use, you first creat a "Standard" file by setting up a drawing like you want it, then saving as a DWS file, by checking that type at the bottom of the SAVEAS dialog box.  Now you have a yardstick for measuring non-compliance.  Open the suspect file, and enter the STANDARDS command, click on the big "plus" sign in the middle of the dialog box and find the standards file (the yardstick) you just created, the select the CHECK STANDARDS button at the lower right of that dialog box. and you're off and running.  This will not only look at layer, but text and dims as well.

Noodlehoss

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2005, 02:58:39 PM »
Thanks CADaver...will look into that.

CADaver

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2005, 03:01:20 PM »
Thanks CADaver...will look into that.
You're welcome, it may be more than you need, but it was just a thought.

Dent Cermak

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2005, 04:29:35 PM »
If the layer names are the same as yours, all you have to do is open a new drawing with the correct settings and insert their drawing into it. You setting should override theirs.