Author Topic: Using SheetSet under the hood for linking data.  (Read 4460 times)

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
Using SheetSet under the hood for linking data.
« on: October 11, 2013, 04:55:39 PM »
Just a thought and would have to do bit of code to hide the complexity, but has anyone tried using .dst file to store data so you could add fields to multiple drawings that refer to same object property(By object I mean the real-life object the geometry represents)

Not sure what type of work you guys do but with electrical you will have schematics, 1-line, floorplans, details, panel schedules, etc... and simple changing the name would require updates in multiple drawings.

Would have to wrap the SheetSet API to make it manageable

To do it through the UI you

• Open field dialog box
  • Select SheetSet in field category then select SheetSet
  • Click the ... button and browse to .dst file and select a sheet or the Sheetset name depending on if you want Sheet or SheetSet property
This sheet set file would not be used for printing or adding layouts that are of use other than what your logic wraps as it data store.

BlackBox

• King Gator
Re: Using SheetSet under the hood for linking data.
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2013, 12:43:54 PM »
Hey Jeff -

You might consider looking at what FDOT did with their Civil 3D State Kit... Specifically their Sheet Set Organizer app, which sits on top of multiple Sheet Sets, particularly if you're wanting to compartmentalize data types into different Sheet Sets, etc..

Cheers
"How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 11:13:45 AM »
Thanks BlackBox,

Will take a look.

jcoon

• Newt
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 12:59:43 PM »
Jeff,

That would be a very useful tool for light schedules, building numbers, tree clearing, you name it........just about anything you would want to add a tag to would be very useful with something like that. powerful yet simple so loading different dst control different linked labels. If I knew how to create something like that I could save a lot of back checking on huge projects 

consider app like link below connected to any items in your project
http://www.jtbworld.com/SSMPropEditor.htm

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 01:02:59 PM »
... If I knew how to create something like that I could save a lot of back checking on huge projects 

To help get you started, here's a DevBlog article you may find useful.

Cheers
"How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 02:31:06 PM »
Jeff,

That would be a very useful tool for light schedules, building numbers, tree clearing, you name it........just about anything you would want to add a tag to would be very useful with something like that. powerful yet simple so loading different dst control different linked labels. If I knew how to create something like that I could save a lot of back checking on huge projects 

consider app like link below connected to any items in your project
http://www.jtbworld.com/SSMPropEditor.htm

I wouldn't find that software useful for this situation, but maybe for the .dst used normally.

My first thought was creating a adapter to represent a Electrical panel which data can be used for panel schedules, 1-lines, floor plans circuiting, etc.....

Even with Revit I think it is hard to use equipment data for 1-lines, etc...
One of the most basic rules is DO NOT REPEAT YOURSELF, & ONLY NEED TO MAKE CHANGE IN 1 PLACE.

I am not sure if you would need a dummy dwg  file with layouts to fill data or could add non-existing layouts that would still hold the data.

I just tired of searching, and spending time testing if this or that will work, and many of times get burnt making an assumption.