Author Topic: type of container used in pipe properties  (Read 2358 times)

jcoon

• Newt
type of container used in pipe properties
« on: September 23, 2013, 04:19:21 PM »
What type of container is used to create the form or display like civil 3D pipe properties with grid lines?
I'm using VS 2010

Thanks all,
John

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
Re: type of container used in pipe properties
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 05:11:59 PM »
If you mean "Out of the Box" controls that come with visual studio then a Tab Control with a Tree View.

MickD

• King Gator
  • (x-in)->[process]->(y-out) ... simples!
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 07:59:46 PM »
If you want something simple just use a propertygrid control, it does all the property mapping for you, just pass it an object and by default all properties are displayed for you unless they have been hidden specifically with Browseable(false) attribute set.

You may need to write some type converters for types the property grid can't handle but they're not too hard to do, some can be handled by setting an 'expandable' attribute to dig a bit deeper. You can also provide your own editor for special types.

If you want to present the values a bit better you can add attributes for categories and display messages etc. If you don't have access to the source code to add attributes it's probably easier to write a simple wrapper class to give you full control over how and what is displayed.
"Programming is really just the mundane aspect of expressing a solution to a problem."
- John Carmack

"Short cuts make long delays,' argued Pippin.”
- J.R.R. Tolkien

jcoon

• Newt
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 07:29:54 AM »
Thanks all,

Yes, "Out of the Box" was what I was after. I like the softer look instead of window forms. I've always used window forms so I thought I might at least look at
trying one of these newer and softer looking containers.

Thank you for your comments and links, they will be helpful

John