Author Topic: Where am I going wrong with this door stretch?  (Read 6751 times)

jumpy

• Newt
Where am I going wrong with this door stretch?
« on: September 04, 2013, 08:55:04 AM »
Hi all,
Not so long back I thought I'd have a go at some simple dynamic block tutorials (from here http://www.cad-notes.com/2009/08/dynamic-block-tutorial-3-creating-door/?ModPagespeed=noscript). The basics have come in handy re-writing some of our block library. However, I've hit a snag, most likely something really simple, but I can seem to get my block to function as intended.

See attached file.

The door, and the wipeout and the stretching of the door aperture are all fine and dandy, but look at what happens to the actual door itself. It should stretch according to the width of the aperture, instead it kind of rotates to follow the stretch grip instead of following the end point of the arch.
I hope I explained that right.

What am I doing wrong? Either I'm selecting a stretch point wrong or a selection set. Suggestions please  :-)
Acad 2018 / LT2018

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
Re: Where am I going wrong with this door stretch?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 09:26:38 AM »
The stretch action is stretching the door panel horizontally, not vertically.

I would opt for a dropdown with actual door sizes that can be selected rather than let the user stretch-to-fit.
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io

jumpy

• Newt
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 10:33:16 AM »
hmmm.

I was going to have a value list for the width of the door at some point - I've got this already on a fluorescent light block.

Regarding the horizontal / vertical stretch, I think I used a linear stretch parameter (or maybe a linear stretch parameter set?). The tutorial seems to say you just select the stretch parameter, add a stretch action and make your obj selection.

Somehow I need to get the horizontal stretch to link to the vertical stretch. Can this be done by chain linking actions?

EDIT:
I've had a look at the tool pallet architectural samples for a metric door block and I can see the horizontal stretch linked tot he vertical door obj, but when I do this on my block it doesn't work. :?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 10:54:35 AM by jumpy »
Acad 2018 / LT2018

Julian.nihon

• Mosquito
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 07:31:19 PM »
Hi,

◎ First, your angle unit drawing is weird, it's set to north by default. It's usually set to east ...
  When you create a strech action, the angle offset seems to be set to 90° by default. Usually it's 0° ...

◎ Second, you need to set the angle offset of your vertical strech action in the properties.
  In your case, set this to 0, since your angle unit is set to north...

I'don't know if i'm clear  :?

bgingerich

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 09:55:13 AM »
So, I thought I had posted this yesterday, but apparently not?

Anyway,  I agree with Julian.  There are a couple more issues with it though.  The scale action needs to have the base point set to the center of the arc it's scaling.  In the properties palette, set the base type (for the scale action) to "independent" and change the base point x and y values to the arc's center.  The arc is still not scaling correctly and I'm not sure what's causing it.

HTH

jumpy

• Newt
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 04:39:44 AM »
Angle unit for the drawing template is set 0=north instead of east - just how we do things here. If that's changing how the stretch action functions I'll have to have a play and see what happens.

Not sure what trouble you're having with the arc scaling... that's one of the bits of this block that seems to work for me hehe ?

I'll have a look at the other bits and bobs today if I have time, see what I can alter in the properties as suggested.

Ta.

EDIT:
hmm, I see what you mean about the arc in your v1.1.
Bah, stupid blocks - I thought this would be easy following an online tutorial  :-P
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 05:01:52 AM by jumpy »
Acad 2018 / LT2018

jumpy

• Newt
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 07:31:05 AM »
Thanks for the information about changing the Angle Offset in the properties.
This has made the door stretch work in the way it was intended.

Just need to fix the arc and add a list property for the door gap.

Funny, I've had a good look about for some more in depth tutorials that cover how to manipulate dynamic blocks and their settings (just the sort of thing that would explain the need to change the angle offset property for the stretch action), yet there doesn't seem to be all that much available in terms of a concise knowledge base. Apart from you helpful chaps here, that is.
Acad 2018 / LT2018

bgingerich

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 01:27:36 PM »
What I have finally learned (after banging my head on a wall for a while) is to really pay attention to the command line prompts when adding the parameters and actions.  The properties palette is your friend too.  :)

Other than that, just keep playing and don't give up.  Nine times out of ten, what you want can be done.  Happy Cadding!

jumpy

• Newt
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2013, 06:13:24 AM »
Hehe, what's frustrating is that even after more than a decade of work with AutoCAD, dating back to R14, I still get stuffed on little issues like this. And it's not like I have the time anymore to go back to evening classes after work to redo my cad qualifications with a newer version of the software. Unlike most of my colleagues, I actually studied the nuts and bolts of AutoCAD with city & guilds courses in 2d design, wireframe and 3d solids.... Unfortunately none of the online tutorials covering newer aspects of the more recent releases come close to the level of detail and understanding in my CAD courses back in the day; They show you how to do things, but lack commandline function and detailed properties explanation of all of these new features.

Acad 2018 / LT2018