Author Topic: PDFs and Batch Plotting  (Read 7673 times)

John Kaul (Se7en)

• Administrator
  • Needs a day job
Re: PDFs and Batch Plotting
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2013, 02:15:02 PM »
If this was directed towards me, I intended the markup ability to be a plus if you buy the software.

Whomever I suppose. 

Cool. I can see how marking up might be useful in coordination but I don't think it would work for me; the software seems too complicated.  Side note: When you guys mentioned Bluebeam, I thought I had hung out with one of the orig developers once but now that I look over the site, I don't think it was the same company. :/  ...But if I am correct, the software started off as a VB(a) module. :D
TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)

Donate to TheSwamp.org

Rob...

• King Gator
  • Take a little time to stop and smell the roses.
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2013, 02:56:45 PM »
We are actually just starting to implement electronic mark-ups. Management and engineers are really liking the portability and how easy it is to use. I think it's really cool and am looking forward to playing with it.
CAD Tech

John Kaul (Se7en)

• Administrator
  • Needs a day job
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2013, 03:06:50 PM »
We are actually just starting to implement electronic mark-ups. Management and engineers are really liking the portability and how easy it is to use. I think it's really cool and am looking forward to playing with it.

Us too but why aren't you using DWF for that?

Hint: XPS

Donate to TheSwamp.org

Rob...

• King Gator
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2013, 03:14:35 PM »
We are!!! DWF that is. What is XPS?
CAD Tech

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2013, 03:18:00 PM »
That's a bunch of BS.  NO designer likes to do things electronically.  They want it plotted out so they can quickly see the entire building.  After they struggle to markup a drawing on the computer they're just going to throw their hands up in the air and say "Give me a F***ING PLOT!!  This is BULLS***!!!  I could've been done by now!!!"

Just sayin'...
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io

John Kaul (Se7en)

• Administrator
  • Needs a day job
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2013, 03:27:50 PM »
We are!!! DWF that is. What is XPS?

What is XPS:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/gg463373.aspx
Why it matter(ed/s) to you:
http://dwf.blogs.com/beyond_the_paper/2006/11/microsoft_annou.html

A few weeks back I finally got around to sketching up some ideas/plans on how I'm going to integrate a "ghostscript xps(dwf)->pdf" tool for my office.

Donate to TheSwamp.org

Rob...

• King Gator
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2013, 05:50:59 PM »
]That's a bunch of BS.  NO designer likes to do things electronically.  They want it plotted out so they can quickly see the entire building.  After they struggle to markup a drawing on the computer they're just going to throw their hands up in the air and say "Give me a F***ING PLOT!!  This is BULLS***!!!  I could've been done by now!!!"

Just sayin'...

LMFAO, Matt. Let me live my dream.
CAD Tech

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2013, 08:34:18 AM »
I'm saying it because we went down that road a few years ago.  I even did a little presentation about how you create the DWF of the sheet in Revit, mark it up in Design Review then link it back it into Revit and how you can track markups and whether or not they've been completed.  The buzz lasted for about a week.  Everyone was "excited about the possibilities" but nobody ever did anything.  Maybe it's a generational thing or just a fear of change.  Or both.
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io

Rob...

• King Gator
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2013, 08:52:29 AM »
I've seen the same type of thing a few times. I am thinking that the generational thing is finally fading away. I really think that at least a couple of our people are going to like it. It is going to be pushed pretty hard, too.
CAD Tech

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2013, 09:14:00 AM »
I've seen the same type of thing a few times. I am thinking that the generational thing is finally fading away. I really think that at least a couple of our people are going to like it. It is going to be pushed pretty hard, too.

It is never going to go away.
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here for camaraderie

John Kaul (Se7en)

• Administrator
  • Needs a day job
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2013, 09:23:57 AM »
You guys do realize your picking apart obstinate thoughts from others in a thread about how to stick with PDFs right?

Donate to TheSwamp.org

Rob...

• King Gator
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2013, 09:27:03 AM »
You guys do realize your picking apart obstinate thoughts from others in a thread about how to stick with PDFs right?

No. What thread?
CAD Tech