Author Topic: PDFs and Batch Plotting  (Read 7675 times)

Rob...

• King Gator
  • Take a little time to stop and smell the roses.
PDFs and Batch Plotting
« on: August 28, 2013, 07:50:05 AM »
I have yet to find a good way to make PDFs of individual sheets or a single one with the entire set.

I have tried the batch plot utility but find it very cumbersome. Too many things to do just right during the process. If you make one mistake along the way, you have to start over. The one that gets me is that you need to use your default printer. I sometimes won't notice that I didn't change it until after I re-order my sheets. No way to save the list. Have to start over.

Plotting single sheets takes a double click and 5 more clicks per sheet, if I have my options set correctly. Sometimes it's more clicks to get to the folder I want, for EACH sheet.

Am I missing something or is Revit still far from the mark for documentation?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 08:56:46 AM by RobDraw »
CAD Tech

John Kaul (Se7en)

• Administrator
  • Needs a day job
Re: PDFs and Batch Plotting
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 08:36:58 AM »
I guess I don't understand this question because I don't seem to have anywhere near this headache (~5 minutes to plot a set of drawings; done). Care to expand on what you have as far as plotter go?

I have ghostscript installed as a plotter on my machines (I don't use Autodesk's distiller drivers in acad or revit).
TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)

Donate to TheSwamp.org

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 08:40:02 AM »
We use Bluebeam for creating PDFs.  With Bluebeam you can organize a set of drawings and put them in any order you'd like and it will actually save the order!!  Unlike the batch print utility add-in that you can install.  And with Bluebeam you can create individual PDFs or a combined PDF.
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io

Rob...

• King Gator
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 08:57:16 AM »
We have AcroPlot Pro but it doesn't do Revit. I can use the driver to create the PDFs but not the software to create and save sets. I can with the individual PDFs but not directly from Revit. I will have to push for something new. I'll be sure to mention Bluebeam. It's quite popular.
CAD Tech

John Kaul (Se7en)

• Administrator
  • Needs a day job
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 09:06:03 AM »
Why pay? I have given "my Ghostscript" to theSwamp (I'm sure with a little searching you can find the instructions). TWilley and I even created a batch script you can use to combine/rotate files with. All my cad guys use it and we haven't had any problems in the 6-7 years I've been here.

Donate to TheSwamp.org

Matt__W

• Seagull
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 09:08:33 AM »
Why pay?
IT.... if anything goes south with it, they want someone to blame rather than trouble-shoot (I.E. "do work").  (did I say that out loud?)
Autodesk Expert Elite

John Kaul (Se7en)

• Administrator
  • Needs a day job
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 09:11:02 AM »
That's ridiculous!?  ...besides ghostscript makes "perfect" PDFs (Postscript files inside a PDF container).

Donate to TheSwamp.org

Rob...

• King Gator
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 09:25:07 AM »
Can "my Ghostscript" do batch plotting directly from Revit to a single PDF using the sheet number for the page name and allow reordering of the sheets?

I just found out about an option within the AcroPlot driver settings that allows me to print the PDFs without the "save as" prompt. Still need to dig a little deeper to see if I can get it to name the files with just the sheet number. I don't like all my PDFs to have the same prefix. It's redundant. Not only that, but repetitive, too.
CAD Tech

John Kaul (Se7en)

• Administrator
  • Needs a day job
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2013, 09:43:07 AM »
Ghostscript is a virtual printer/plotter so...no/yes? You plot to IT; it doesn't plot for you (it's a printer). I'm confused but, I've coupled Ghostscript and Redmon together once to get something what I think you are asking for. :?

Donate to TheSwamp.org

Rob...

• King Gator
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2013, 09:55:59 AM »
I'm not sure what you are confused about. I would like to be able to:

Plot my Revit sheets to a single multi-sheet PDF in the order of my choosing and save that list.

Plot single sheets from Revit to an assigned folder using the sheet number as the name of the file. (almost there on this one)
CAD Tech

Matt__W

• Seagull
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2013, 10:12:13 AM »
BLUEBEAM!!!
Autodesk Expert Elite

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2013, 10:16:36 AM »
BLUEBEAM!!!

X2  .. plus their editor has many cool markup tools and CAD like mouse navigation.

Windows 10 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2020

Custom Build PC

Rob...

• King Gator
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2013, 10:16:57 AM »
Yeah I know, Matt. I was trying to unconfuse Se7en. It looks like buying new software isn't going to be an option at this point. Maybe next year...

:-(
CAD Tech

John Kaul (Se7en)

• Administrator
  • Needs a day job
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2013, 01:06:26 PM »
I create plot files (one for each sheet) and do what I want from there. I'm only confused because I think I have this overly simplified view of this task (we've been doing the same stuff from acad for years). What I think you are describing is something akin to a "server" (software, not hardware). Something that will wait until you have send the last file to it and do something after that (like reorder, convert, combine, etc.). That would be Redmon. Redmon is the `server' portion of ghostscript. You can set it up to do any number of things. ...but that isn't related to revit or autocad. 

Why would you ever mark up your PDFs after you make them? You have the source (aka: revit/acad files). That makes about as much sense to me as making a PDF from a word doc and then correcting mistakes in the PDF. O.o

But all that aside, it seems like your guys' needs are somewhat complicated; have you every thought about using DWFs (free, already available, no support necessary, etc)? Even use it (DWF viewer) as an intermediate step to reorder, markup, eliminate, etc..

Donate to TheSwamp.org

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2013, 01:55:11 PM »
Why would you ever mark up your PDFs after you make them? You have the source (aka: revit/acad files). That makes about as much sense to me as making a PDF from a word doc and then correcting mistakes in the PDF. O.o
[size=78%]...[/size]

If this was directed towards me, I intended the markup ability to be a plus if you buy the software.

Windows 10 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2020

Custom Build PC