Author Topic: Software Updates time limits?  (Read 1577 times)

snownut2

• Swamp Rat
  • Bricscad 22 Ultimate
Software Updates time limits?
« on: August 20, 2013, 11:29:38 AM »
Not sure just were to post this subject, please feel free to move to a more appropriate location.

I was curious just how others are limiting the time period that an end user can download updates from their website etc..

I realize it may not be practical to limit the actual download, however what methods are being used to prevent the installer from running say beyond the one year anniversary of registering the product.  (without actually affecting the running of the previously installed product itself)

I know nothing is bullet proof however there should be a method that is relatively secure, that the average user will not be able to by-pass (such as changing the system date)

I am using Inno Setup as an installer....
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 12:49:47 PM by CAB »

owenwengerd

• Bull Frog
Re: Software Updates time limits?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 03:16:25 PM »
I realize it may not be practical to limit the actual download....

I would say the actual download is the most practical thing to limit, as it's the only thing completely under your control. Anyway, that's what I do: after the expiration date, their download is no longer allowed.

irneb

• Water Moccasin
  • ACad R9-2016, Revit Arch 6-2016
Re: Software Updates time limits?
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 02:04:58 AM »
+1 for Owen's method. The user requests a download, you can then email them a link for that specific file (or through a login on your website).

The problem with trying to make the installer (and/or the code itself) check for license expiry is it's not too difficult to circumvent: The user can simply unplug from the internet and set his clock back a year or so, that would make it impossible for your code to figure out what the true time is. And that's not even requiring any cracking of your code.
Common sense - the curse in disguise. Because if you have it, you have to live with those that don't.